I am looking to make cupcakes for my son's 1st birthday party.
I need it to be:
I am thinking I can sub applesauce or juice for sugar, but how much?
I am clueless... Any ideas?
Ok, I have no clue about gluten-free but I just made this recipe for DD and she LOVED it:
- 1 cup honey (I actually use a little less than a cup but you could also use 3/4 cup agave nectar or 1 cup maple syrup)
3 cups whole wheat flour (I know you can get gluten-free flour but I know absolutely nothing about it!)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened (now if you wanted to cut back on fat you could substitute in applesauce here up to half of the amount of butter but we tend to like eating butter in our desserts so we feel fuller)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I just used normal milk and it tasted fine too)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- This makes a lot so you could easily cup the recipe in half if you don't need that many cupcakes.
- For frosting we used
- 1pkg of plain cream cheese
- maple syrup or honey to taste
- you can also add a bit of butter here too if you want but it's good either way
- Anyways, any cupcakes/cake made out of this drives DD NUTS. Last time I made this I crumbled up chocolate cookies on top and added a few of those gummy worms and she would just beg non-stop for it.
An update on this:
I really wanted to make these myself, but decided to make other things instead and paid a visit to our local gluten-free, organic, vegan bakery.
The cupcakes will actually be blueberry muffins. They will be comprised of various gluten-free flours, fresh organic blueberries and applesauce made from scratch-organic apples as sweetener.
I so look forward to experiencing Hunter blow his candle out of a treat I can feel 100% good about giving him.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to make one of these suggestions as an additional treat for the adults at the party!