Sugarless cake/cupcakes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking to make cupcakes for my son's 1st birthday party.

I need it to be:

Sugarless

gluten-free

nut-free (obvious)

I am thinking I can sub applesauce or juice for sugar, but how much?

I am clueless... Any ideas?

familybed1.gif SAHM, mother to Hunter a happy, sensitive, determined boy born March 28 2010,bftoddler.gif, IVF miracle family, selectivevax.gif, Fibrowarrior, slingboy.gif, goorganic.jpg
#2 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Applesauce is usually a substitute for fat/oil, not sugar. I would use honey instead.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe that meets all your criteria.

#3 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Ok, I have no clue about gluten-free but I just made this recipe for DD and she LOVED it:

1 cup honey (I actually use a little less than a cup but you could also use 3/4 cup agave nectar or 1 cup maple syrup)
3 cups whole wheat flour (I know you can get gluten-free flour but I know absolutely nothing about it!)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened (now if you wanted to cut back on fat you could substitute in applesauce here up to half of the amount of butter but we tend to like eating butter in our desserts so we feel fuller)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I just used normal milk and it tasted fine too)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

This makes a lot so you could easily cup the recipe in half if you don't need that many cupcakes. 

For frosting we used

1pkg of plain cream cheese
maple syrup or honey to taste
you can also add a bit of butter here too if you want but it's good either way

Anyways, any cupcakes/cake made out of this drives DD NUTS.  Last time I made this I crumbled up chocolate cookies on top and added a few of those gummy worms and she would just beg non-stop for it. 
LoveBabee likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

An update on this:

I really wanted to make these myself, but decided to make other things instead and paid a visit to our local gluten-free, organic, vegan bakery.

The cupcakes will actually be blueberry muffins. They will be comprised of various gluten-free flours, fresh organic blueberries and applesauce made from scratch-organic apples as sweetener.

I so look forward to experiencing Hunter blow his candle out of a treat I can feel 100% good about giving him.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to make one of these suggestions as an additional treat for the adults at the party!

familybed1.gif SAHM, mother to Hunter a happy, sensitive, determined boy born March 28 2010,bftoddler.gif, IVF miracle family, selectivevax.gif, Fibrowarrior, slingboy.gif, goorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page