Raw food diet & eating seasonally - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are the two compatible? I am far from converting 100% to a raw food diet, but I have begun studying it a bit & would like to incorporate some of its concepts into my own daily food preparation.

I'm very committed to organic, local agriculture & tend to try to eat only what is in season in my area, but it seems that if I were to consider 100% raw, it might be tough to uphold this conviction.

Thoughts?

#2 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Raw AND seasonal year-round would not be realistic in my area. We have a very short growing season: it starts late and ends early. Pretty much from November on I'd be limited to squash, kale, parsnips, sauerkraut, and cold-storage apples until the early vegetables started growing again in April/May.

It would be easier if one had two or three large freezers and weren't picky about eating frozen goods out of season. For instance, I freeze about 60 or more lbs of fruit in the summer to eat through the winter: blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, and nectarines. You could also freeze veggies for later use.

I could see doing it if I incorporated local raw meats, fish, eggs, and/or dairy into their diet. Otherwise it would be very tricky to get enough variety, protein and fats.
#3 of 5 Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 PM

That's an interesting question and one which I have wrestled with a lot! I'm drawn to raw foods (but more of "raw foods meets Weston Price" at the moment) but here in the PNW it would be very difficult to achieve using wholly local, seasonal foods. It's often seemed to me that most raw foodists' diets are not sustainable from a locavore standpoint (e.g. lots of nuts, tropical fruits, superfoods etc) especially if lots of complex raw recipes are used.

That being said, it's a great diet for cleansing and health generally - so I feel personally conflicted! A sustainable/local raw diet is probably achievable if you're living in CA, FL or other tropical/subtropical climates but difficult if living up here in the north. However, I think you could make it "more" local by freezing a lot as the PP said, sprouting your own seeds/grains and relying on what is available. The raw diet is pretty restrictive as it is and I think placing even more restrictions on it would make success pretty tough - good luck! 

Widowed mummy to T 6/08 and a crazy blue dog

#4 of 5 Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjrowan View Post

That's an interesting question and one which I have wrestled with a lot! I'm drawn to raw foods (but more of "raw foods meets Weston Price" at the moment) but here in the PNW it would be very difficult to achieve using wholly local, seasonal foods. It's often seemed to me that most raw foodists' diets are not sustainable from a locavore standpoint (e.g. lots of nuts, tropical fruits, superfoods etc) especially if lots of complex raw recipes are used.

That being said, it's a great diet for cleansing and health generally - so I feel personally conflicted! A sustainable/local raw diet is probably achievable if you're living in CA, FL or other tropical/subtropical climates but difficult if living up here in the north. However, I think you could make it "more" local by freezing a lot as the PP said, sprouting your own seeds/grains and relying on what is available. The raw diet is pretty restrictive as it is and I think placing even more restrictions on it would make success pretty tough - good luck! 

I would definitely count canning & freezing somehow, but you make good points & confirmed my suspicions. Thanks for the input!

#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 AM

Keep in mind that canning is definitely not raw...
But you can also do low-temp drying as a way of preservation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page