Squeezable Food Packages - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you buy prepackaged squeeze food? Happy Baby, Plum Tots, Gogurt, etc;
Yes 8 100.00%
No 23 100.00%
I like the idea but I prefer to make my own food 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This seems to be like a new food phenomenon for kids.  They are so easy and seem pretty healthy.  What are your thoughts??  Please take my poll!

Thanks!

Shannon

#2 of 13 Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM

I am not sure about the processing of these products and it effect on nutrition but it seems that anything processed enough to be put in little queezable packages might be too processed for my tastes.  I will be interested to read other comments or info on them.  I personally don't buy them for economical reasons even though my daughter would really love some.

Catholic wife to S and mama to my two loveys V dd1 10/04 and G dd2 11/10 - #3 due in August 2013.  Here we go again.  homebirth.jpgwinner.jpg selectivevax.gifcd.gif

#3 of 13 Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM

I sometimes buy them for special occasions where I am wanting something novel but with controlled ingredients when going to fairs, amusement parks and other places where the available food is tempting but inappropriate. I

#4 of 13 Old 03-17-2011, 05:56 AM

I don't really buy very many pre-packaged foods to start with. And I certainly wouldn't buy this sort of thing-- first of all, the packaging is wasteful. Second of all, some of the ingredients are extremely questionable. Have you seen how much sugar there is in Go Gurt, for example? Third of all, we have a soy allergy in the family, and it's nearly impossible to find stuff like this that hasn't got soy-derived ingredients.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM

My kids like these, and they've had them a couple of times at birthday party type events.  They are expensive, though, for what you get.  Like a PP said, I'll buy them for a special occasion, but not everyday (and I'm thinking of the applesauce in a pouch types).

#6 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM

I love these things for my diaper bag. Especially the Plum & Ella's organics. They taste like little fruit smoothies and are great for DS when we're out and about. No preservatives on those, either. Just pureed organic veggies, and usually a bit of lemon juice. So much easier than packing the same amount of fruit or veggies and carrying them around all day in this hot hot weather. 

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#7 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma View Post

I love these things for my diaper bag. Especially the Plum & Ella's organics. They taste like little fruit smoothies and are great for DS when we're out and about. No preservatives on those, either. Just pureed organic veggies, and usually a bit of lemon juice. So much easier than packing the same amount of fruit or veggies and carrying them around all day in this hot hot weather. 

Yes.  I like them for convenience sake.  They make up a very small part of my baby's food intake, but are convenient for on the go, or when we are having something that she can't eat.  My baby eats pretty much whatever we are having, but there are times when I just don't  have anything to feed her from my plate.  That's when I like these packets.

#8 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM

I'm kind of horrified by the wasteful packaging.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#9 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM

We don't buy GoGurt (yuck) but I do buy the squeezable applesauce and smoothie fruits for the kids for on the go. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#10 of 13 Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 AM

The only time my boys get them is when we go to Panera Bread. My 4 yo loves them and my 2 yo can't get the concept and ends up wearing his yogurt half the time. I'm in the group that hates the packaging and waste. As a family without trash service we are very conscious of packaging and those are not acceptable for us.

If I could find some reusable tubes for me to pack homemade applesauce or yogurt into I would buy them. My 4 year old would love it.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#11 of 13 Old 03-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I sometimes buy the yoghurt tubes, though only when they are on special offer. Those things are expensive!

They freeze well and the kids like them as a frozen treat or I can stick them in lunch boxes in the summer to keep the lunch cold. Once DD started school she came home asking for the things other kids have in their lunches. This has been one I'm reasonably happy to compromise on.

DS has not got the hang of squeezing yoghurt at a rate he can actually eat it, he only gets them frozen for now.

#12 of 13 Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 AM

We bought the yogurt tubes (organic ones) a few times but I agree that they are very wasteful and more sugar than necessary given that DD will eat plain yogurt (or with a little drizzle of maple or honey). We rarely buy flavored yogurts, but make our own with fresh fruit, a spoon of jam, or maple or honey. Also, there are so many other snack options out there, so I just generally avoid that stuff. We have a lot of small re-usable containers around the house that we can use for yogurt, applesauce and the like. Maybe a bit more messy, but not really if the kids are sitting down for their snack.

Ooh, I do remember a thread a while back in this forum with links to re-usable tubes that you can buy, which can be a good alternative if you can get them, as you can fill them with whatever you like. I just googled it and came across these, which are made for camping: http://www.rei.com/product/696007. Not sure how easy/difficult they are to clean out, though...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#13 of 13 Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM

I buy the organic yogurt and the applesauce ones for DDs school lunches.  I don't want to send a spoon with her because I'll probably never see it again, and I don't want to send a plastic spoon because it's wasteful.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page