My muffin tins have to be trashed. I need advice. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I made muffins for dd and I. I oiled the tin and when the muffins popped out, they had little flecks of the metal (from the pan) all over them. I'm repulsed now. I can't imagine eating anything made in those pans that are obviously putting metal in my food

I want to get something safer forus to cook with.

Are those silicone muffin tins worth buying?

I'm just ill over this. If I hadn't noticed, I would have fed it to my in utero baby and in my toddler

I hate to use muffin tin liners, but that's another alternative I guess
#2 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 10:29 AM

Is this the first time you have used that tin? and What type of oil did you use?and, are you sure that it was metal flaking off or could it have been the 'non-stick' coating? (I agree, gross either way)

I have a silicone muffin pan and I love it. However, because it makes 'texas sized' muffins, I don't use it that frequently. The tins I use most often had belonged to my grandmother, so they are really quite old.

I make muffins often, at least one to two times a week. I keep a varity in the freezer for dd2's lunches and for snacking. (My muffins are also gluten free).
#3 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I've had these tins for at least 2 years.

It is probably the non-stick coating? I don't know, it is just gross though.

I used vegetable oil, same as always. This is the first time I've noticed the metallic stuff on the muffins.

#4 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 05:43 PM

Probably was the non stick stuff. I have had that problem with cookie sheets before.

I use liners, I hate using something throwaway but until I can find a better alternative to teflon that what I use. I have seen some stoneware ones but I forgot where now..
#5 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 05:54 PM

i dont trust the silicone pans

i know a woman who's body was mutilated and grew cancer bc of silicone implants

i wouldnt want that in my food

i use old aluminum muffon tins that i got at a yard sale and use paper liners. probably not the best solution either

i dream about owning stainless steel or cast iron bakeware

heartbeat.gif

#6 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 06:09 PM

I think Pampered chef sells stoneware muffin pans and you can get cast iron muffin pans from Wal-Mart. Unfortunatly most of my shopping is done at WalMart
But you might be able to get the cast iron ones from a camping supply store if you like to stay away from the "Mart" stores.
#7 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 06:23 PM

The silicone muffin tins come in different sizes. I'm pretty sure you can get one that makes regular sized muffins. And I'm definitely sure I've seen the ones that make mini muffins. Those are on my wish list. I've never used silicone pans, but I've got some baking mats that go on cookie sheets. I love them.

Christie

ETA: Two people posted while I was answering the phone, feeding ds, and finishing this post.

I had no idea there were cast iron muffin tins! And at WalMart! That's wonderful! I know WalMart is a problem, but they're one of the only stores closer than 2 hrs. away.

And in terms of the safety of silicone pans, they are very different in composition from the breast implants (although I certainly understand your concern and emotional response to using silicone for cooking after watching your friend go through that -- I probably wouldn't touch them either if I were in your shoes). For one thing, the breast implants are soft and maleable. The pans, although bendable, are a solid substance. They don't react with food, melt, or anything else so far as I know. Then there's yet another form of silicone, which is what we use to caulk houses. The most sensitive people I know use it with no problem (and I know some extremely sensitive people).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#8 of 10 Old 04-02-2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
They don't react with food, melt, or anything else so far as I know.
This is what people used to think about using plastic in the microwave.

I dont want to be a guinea pig for new tech. Why mess with old tech that works and that we pretty much know is safe, ykwim?

heartbeat.gif

#9 of 10 Old 04-03-2004, 02:14 AM

I don't know what to say Kimberly, but I'm glad you noticed before giving them to Libby and your bellybean!

I can't imagine finding something like that on something I'd made for Lindsey and Joshua!
#10 of 10 Old 04-03-2004, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

JODI! You little sneak! HEYA!! I post here way more than dec02 lately..... nobody gives their 6mo baby whole milk and brags about it here

I think I will look for stoneware. I loooove all of my stones (I probably have 10) and I didn't know they make muffin ones! They're expensive at first, but they last forever and are so nice!! Yippee!

And YES, Jodi, I am so glad I didn't feed my baby that stuff!!! Ick ick ick!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page