Question about smoothies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have what feels like a silly question about smoothies.  Does the nutritional profile of something change because it has been blended?  If I would otherwise not be eating it does that really matter? (For example--I would never be able to stomach chia seeds if they aren't blended in because of the texture, so blend them or skip them are basically the only options.)  Getting extra greens in and finding a place for all the kale that comes with our CSA is a certain perk too but if I should be finding another way to get them in I will.  I suppose really I am worried that since I found a way to enjoy these things I am afraid I am cheating the system!  I am not adding anything questionable to the smoothies to cover it up if that makes a difference, usually just strawberries, plain yogurt and homemade vanilla extract.  Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM

I can't imagine why it would. The only thing I could see happening is that your body might be able to process it easier/faster since the blender would chop it up much smaller than most people chew it. 

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM

This is off-topic (and maybe you already do this) but I add kale to all of my soups.  I wait until the soup is basically done, then chop up a bunch, throw it in the pot, cover the pot for maybe 5-10 minutes and it's ready to serve.  Just an idea for using up kale.

User Tag List