WOULD YOU eat this? Is it safe?(Canning involved) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made a big batch of sauce consisting of previously canned diced tomatoes. I added spices and veggies: mushrooms, spinach, onion, garlic. It was my own recipe.

I canned it in a water bath and added 1 tbsp of vinegar to the whole batch, and then 1/2 tbs vinegar to each pint jar. It only made 6 pints.

I did it in the water bath for 45 mins.

I was reading something online that says you aren't suppose to use vinegar anymore b/c it won't prevent the botulism, you need to use lemon juice. Is that true?

Do you think my sauce is ok, or should I toss it?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM

How long ago did you can it? If you just did it, refrigerate the sauce and use it, or freeze it. If it's been a while, I would not eat it.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#3 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just canned it 2 days ago...still good?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#4 of 12 Old 03-26-2011, 06:23 PM

perfectly fine. i use vingegar, and my sauce has been good 6 or 8 months after i canned it.

#5 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable eating that. With all those veggies I think it should have been pressure canned, even though you added vinegar.
#6 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM

I agree that that many veg probably needed pressure canning. Since you just did it, i'd open the jars, boil it again and freeze it.

And how on earth can lemon juice be better than vinegar? Vinegar has standardized acidity, lemons don't, and even bottled lemon juice varies by brand.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

IDK what the deal is with the lemon juice, everything I have previously read has been revised and only says lemon juice or citric acid. I read a forum on some gardening site where people were saying the safety standards have changed and that 5% vinegar won't do and the old recipes they used much stronger vinegar so you have to use lemon juice now.

I did freeze it. I didn't know I couldn't water bath can it b/c of the veggies though. I don't own a pressure canner

#8 of 12 Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Yep, I'd have pressure canned it, because of the veg additions plus tomatoes are borderline for bwb canning already.
#9 of 12 Old 04-03-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

dang it

#10 of 12 Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 AM

I canned my tomatoes last year in a BWB and they were fine. I've never pressure canned them actually. My grandma used to hot pack hers, but I've never had luck with that. I've not lost one jar with the BWB. I don't add anything but salt either.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#11 of 12 Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post

I canned my tomatoes last year in a BWB and they were fine. I've never pressure canned them actually. My grandma used to hot pack hers, but I've never had luck with that. I've not lost one jar with the BWB. I don't add anything but salt either.

It's safe to can tomatoes alone in a BWB with the addition of lemon juice or citric acid per accepted guidelines. Tomatoes can vary wildly in acidity so the addition of some acid is always recommended now. (It's not safe to BWB can the OP's recipe because of the many low-acid veggies--the pH could be high enough to allow for botulism.). You can also find tested tomato sauce recipes in the Ball Blue Book that are appropriate for water bath canning.

I thought the reason vinegar isn't typically used is just because of the flavor. There are tested salsa recipes that use vinegar.

I personally am super neurotic about canning so I would not take a chance on the sauce. It sounds delicious, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
#12 of 12 Old 04-08-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post

The issue is not the tomatoes that require the pressure canning... it's the vegetables added.  The rule of thumb is that you can according to what takes the most processing.  Vegetables require processing under pressure.  The only way vegetables should be WB canned is with a TNT pickling recipe that has an extremely high acid content (and therefore would taste awful in a tomato sauce).

I go the other way for the sake of safety.  I actually pressure can even my tomatoes.  Quite literally the only thing I don't pressure can is my jam.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page