What would you do with a can of cheap spaghetti sauce? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-10-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're not big spaghetti eaters, but we had it tonight, so it will be ages and ages before we have spaghetti again. But we have this can of cheap spaghetti sauce in the cabinet that will probably go to waste if we don't do something with it. It came with a big box of mixed food we got. What would you do with it? Make a casserole? Give it away? Suck it up and eat spaghetti anyway?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 4 Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would saute garlic, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, add the sauce to the saute and season it with fresh or dried herbs to make a sauce for a pan of lasagna. Then I'd freeze the lasagna for use on a night when my family is tired and busy and just wants to eat a simple, no-fuss meal. smile.gif

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#3 of 4 Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM

I always enhance my own speghetti sauce; very few are decent out of the can. 

You can saute 2 or 3 onions with some cumin and coriander and chili, then dump in a few cans of chick peas and the tomato sauce. Serve with cilantro and lemon juice garnish.

It's basically chana masala (an Indian dish) and it goes great with eggs, toast, pita bread, etc.

#4 of 4 Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM

You can make chicken cacciatore with it.  Brown chicken pieces in a pan.  Throw in sliced onions, peppers, and mushrooms, as well as the spaghetti sauce.  Simmer on low until the chicken is done, usually like 45 minutes-ish.  We serve with pasta or polenta. 

My mom makes spaghetti soup.  Sauce, chicken broth, and noodles.  It's surprisingly good. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page