Skip a meal and have a smoothie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone do this, but in a "healthy" way? I'm not trying to lose any significant amount of weight here, but I would like to feed my body throughout the day.

I'm asking because my mornings are a bit hectic and I find eating lunch after I workout is frustrating, because I need to do it at my desk. I come into work 45 minutes early every morning, in order to take a 90 minute lunch and go workout 3 times a week. This means that when I get back, there's no time for a leisurely lunch in the cafeteria. I have to scarf it down at my desk. A smoothie would be a good alternative, but I'm concerned about not getting the right nutrients or getting too many calories...

Anyone have suggestions?

#2 of 7 Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 PM

I often have smoothies for a meal.  Other posters will be able to offer more nutrition oriented advice, but I start with frozen fruit (usually mangos, strawberries and bananas) and add yougart and milk.  You can also mix in wheat germ, tofu or spinach, but I rarely do.

I get smoothies from smoothie shops also, with other fruits or sometimes espresso mixed in.  Yum.  Maybe not as healthy as a plate of fresh veggies, but better than a hunger slump or "I'm starving" danish.  eat.gif

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#3 of 7 Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM

I have a smoothie for breakfast or lunch sometimes. It's easy for me to mix up and drink in the car on the drive to work (sometimes I don't go in until 1-ish, so those are the days I would have a smoothie lunch). My general smoothie recipe is a few ice cubes, some frozen mango, frozen blueberries, a whole banana, a splash of peach juice, greek yogurt and a few leaves of kale (with the stem removed). I feel like I'm getting a good mix of fruits and veggies, plus some protein from the yogurt so I consider it a full meal. It usually ends up being around 20 oz. and it keeps me going until my next meal.  

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#4 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll adjust your recipe to make it dairy-free!

Another question: if I made the smoothie in the morning, say around 6:30...is it still good to drink around 1:30 p.m., if I take it to work and keep it in the fridge there? I'd heard various things about the nutrients not being as good if you drink the smoothie later on...

#5 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM

I have a smoothie for breakfast a few times a week.  I normally make it the night before and then keep it refrigerated until I'm ready to drink it. 

I usually put in:

milk

honey

peanut butter

spinach

whatever frozen fruit we have

#6 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Depending on what else I eat later in the day, I will focus on protein and fiber in the morning.  A skim milk protein smoothie with berries and milled flax seed is a personal favorite, extremely balanced, and could be done daily.

My favorite protein powder is hormone free whey called Dream Protein in vanilla flavor.  If I need extra sweet I add stevie.

#7 of 7 Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 PM

I sometimes have a smoothie instead of dinner. I tend to accidently make too much smoothie all the time and so it's a lot and I get full. I was having one for breakfast for awhile, but now I am on an egg kick.

I use frozen fruit ( mango, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, sometimes blackberries and raspberries) and about 2 cups of baby spinach. If we have fresh pinapple I really like that, too, but that is not something we always have on hand.

I can't use bananas. They make the roof of my mouth itch.

Adding yogurt or milk sounds good to me. I am okay with dairy in small amounts.

Enjoy your smoothies!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page