Mothering Forum banner

The 17 day diet-a journal

7K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  tillymonster 
#1 ·
I have been wanting to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet and well as reduce the the amount carbs I eat. I eat a whole food diet that is heavy in whole grains and natural sugars (lots of fruit) and recently started to limit red meats. I often feel fatigued, sluggish and tired. It has been suggested by many that I should eat more protein and cut back on the carbs even though they are whole grains (wheat, flax, oats, grains, etc). Since I work best by starting with structure before "winging it" I thought I would start here.

I am not looking to limit healthy fats so that is slight contradiction to the eating plan. I plan on continuing to make the majority of my foods from scratch as well as continue to shop locally, buy organic when possible and utilize a local butcher for meats.

I have about 100 lbs to lose if all the body charts are correct for a 5' 6", large frame woman. Personally I would be happy to lose 50lbs and stay but this goal is really about eating healthier while losing weight.

The diet focuses on lean proteins, probiotics, heavy on green leafy veggies and all non-starchy veggies and light on added fats. Fruits are limited to lower sugar varieties-apples, berries, citrus, etc. Eventually oats, grains, beams etc will be added back

The purpose of this thread is for me to have an accountability journal. I will post through out day when possible other wise will update before bed each day.

If you are reading, thanks. Any support would greatly appreciated! And since it is a public message you are welcome to tell me what an idiot I am being too!
winky.gif

Day One: wake up and ready to get started!

Hot water w/ lemon

2 scrambled eggs in 1tsp fax oil

2 cups green tea

6 oz fage greek yogurt

1/2 cup Wyman frozen blueberries

large mixed green salad with sliced fennel, cucumbers and pink grapefruit segments.

grilled boneless chicken breast

mustard vinaigrette maybe wilt olive oil

2 cups green tea

cottage cheese

3 turkey burger "sliders" topped with lots of fresh salsa

szechuan green beans

See less See more
#27 ·
Day Thirteen!

Hot water with lemon

2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites scrambled with basil

2 mugs green tea

6 oz yogurt

1/2 cup blueberries

1/2 cup strawberries

more green tea

balsamic glazed chicken breasts

sezchuen green beans

leftover roast turkey

sauteed spinach w/ caramelized onions

more sezchuen green beans

RECAP:

No recap today- too tired. I am off to bed.
sleepytime.gif

#28 ·
I love reading your posts, you sound so happy and positive! 10 pounds already, that is awesome, and resisting salted caramels must deserve some sort of trophy
winky.gif

I am inspired, hoping my library gets the 17 day diet book in so I can check it out.

Happy Easter!

#29 ·
Ugh. Woke up super cranky today. No idea why but I feel really
Cuss.gif
. I need to shake this!

Day Fourteen:

Hot water with lemon

2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites scrambled with basil

2 mugs green tea

ruby red grapefruit
more green tea

6 oz greek yogurt
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries

cottage cheese and the last of the green beans.
( i know weird, right? I need to get to the store!!)

Plain grilled chicken breast
roasted asparagus
green tea

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Ugh. Woke up super cranky today. No idea why but I feel really
Cuss.gif
. I need to shake this!
Kick this day in the rear-end by focusing on your great progress to date and giving yourself a non-food related treat to battle the crankiness! You deserve it!

#32 ·
Ha, Laggie we must have been posting at the same time! I am not feeling really happy or positive today.
greensad.gif
I have no motivation and am STILL sitting on the couch when I should be on the treadmill. Don't let me bring you down though, I hope the book comes in soon. Even in my bad mood I still recommend it!! That is one bummer about e-readers. I wish I knew how to share books on my i-pad.

Lookatree- thanks for the support! I really appreciate it.

#34 ·
In a much better mood today. This might be TMI but I was really constipated. Considering all the veggies I am eating plus at least a gallon of water and half that of green tea a day you think I would have the opposite problem!
redface.gif

I ended up not treating myself to anything. I am really trying to save money and decided I would rather save up and get something really good when I hit the 20lb mark. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Day Fifteen:

Hot water with lemon

2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites omelet w/ spinach and onions

2 mugs green tea

cottage cheese

oven baked kimchi salmon

mixed green salad w/ assorted veggies

more green tea

ground chicken burgers

roasted brussel sprouts

endive salad

RECAP:

Overall today was a good day. However some how I missed any fruits today. Weird because I live for me yogurt/strawberries/blueberries. I was so busy this AM and then was fully satiated from lunch that next thing I knew it was after 3:00. The diet does not want you eating any carbs/fruits after 2:00. This will not help my little ummmm.... problem

On a positive note I got to go for a long walk with the BFF, hit Whole Foods for some great produce and to stock up on my vitamins. Had a fabulous lunch and a really yummy dinner. My son and I hit the playground after school and then came home and played hide n seek tag. Life is good.

#35 ·
Regarding rewards, when I was watching calories I decided that every 10lbs I could get myself a non-food treat. You should maybe pre-plan when and what. I knew that I was getting leather boots, new purse, etc and that was extra motivating. You could even have pictures posted of your rewards...kind of a weight loss treasure map!

#36 ·
I can't believe it is day 16 already! Wow, the time has really flown. Tomorrow is weigh in day and I have to say that I am not as encourages as I was last week. I feel bloated and sluggish. It might be the fact I ate no fruit yesterday and therefore also missed a probiotic serving.LOL! But I have made this commitment so I am sticking to it! I really want to hit the 20 lb mark before branching out on my own......

I am also pretty much sick of chicken and turkey. Saturday that all changes though as I can to add a variety of lean proteins and complex carbs. Can you say sweet potato???
yummy.gif

Day Sixteen:

Hot water with lemon

2 whole eggs and 2 egg white plain omelet

2 mugs green tea

6 oz greek yogurt

1 cup strawberries

large bowl carrot ginger soup

cottage cheese

ground cumin chicken burgers

endive/fennel/baby arugula salad

hug bunch of kale chip

#37 ·
I did it!!!!
biggrinbounce.gif

Today is day 17. For the last 16 days I have upped the veggies and proteins. I have eaten a "clean" diet- no processed foods or refined sugars. I have limited my carbs to fruits and veggies. I have cut back on my exercise and continued to eat a good amount of healthy fats.

As I thought I did not lose as much weight this past week as I had the week prior but still lost 2 lbs bringing my total to 12 pounds! Here is the recap:

Friday April 8: weight in to get starting point

Weds April 13: start diet

Friday April 15: down 6 pounds

Friday April 23: down 4 pounds

Friday April 29: down 2 pounds

I am excited to start the next 17 day cycle!

Day Seventeen:

Hot water with lemon

2 whole eggs and 2 egg white plain omelet

2 mugs green tea

6 oz greek yogurt

1/2 cup strawberries

1/2 cup blueberries

oven baked mustard glazed salmon

kale chips

more green tea

(dinner at friends)

assorted crudite w/ tzatziki

grilled chicken breast

big green salad

1 glass of wine
hide.gif

RECAP:

So day 17 is done! tomorrow is start of another 17 day cycle. I think I might start a new thread to cover that and outline the changes. I am out of the house EARLY tomorrow so may not get around to posting until late in the day. If I do start another thread I will post the link.

thanks to all who have supported me so far!!!

#40 ·
Amma- kale chips are the best!!! Just tear the leaves into chip size pieces, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt. Bake at 375 for aprox 15 minutes or until the edges are brown. Also works with chard and spinach. Yummy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.