Need advice on going Gluten Free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH is needing to go gluten free. Like his mom he seems to be quite intolerant and the problems manifest in his joints and muscles. Not really stomach issues.

We’ve been “low grain” for a few months now and he’s cut out bread, cereal and pasta. We keep some in the house for DS. But we’ve both definitely eaten cake, cookies, breaded things along the way. Especially me as I don’t seem to have any issue. Now he’s ready to go completely gluten free but agreed to keep some non gluten items around. Especially those that help with basic cooking. I have no problem being gluten free with him.

We eat mostly homecooked foods but do have commercial products and we’re not sure where to start figuring out what brands stay or go. We buy a lot of generic foods and gluten free info is non existant on those.

Products we keep around are: ranch dressing, mayo, mustards, relish, vinegar, wortchestershire sauce, canned tomato products, tuna, salmon, skippy peanut butter, potato chips, canned beans, yogurt, ice cream, vitamins....

I know some of these might have additives that contain gluten. How can I tell by reading labels?

I’ve started making our own ketchup, ranch dressing and other sauces. I’d consider making mayo but only if I can get fresh farm eggs. Especially with ranch which is at every restaurant and home - nice to know how to read the label.

One of his favorite snacks of all times? Reese Peanutbutter  Cups. Yup gluten. Is there a brand I can find to replace this?

And what is the best replacement for wheat flour in cooking? Like making salmon cakes, breaded items or thickening? Is rice flour a good one?

Thanks for any advice J

Rhianna

#2 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM

We went gluten-free over 2 years ago when we found DD is intolerant (her primary symptoms are respiratory).  One of the things you'll be looking for on labels is "food starch".  Most of it is corn, but if it isn't specified, it can also be wheat.  That will be found in a lot of packaged stuff.  Also look for malt (barley malt)--it's got gluten. A lot of the products you mentioned should be gluten-free (beans, chips, tomato products).  If you stick to brands that have simple ingredient lists (item you want, plus some salt and maybe an acid as a preservative), you'll find plenty that is usable.

For a flour alternative, you may want to try the King Arthur gluten-free all-purpose flour.  It will do just fine for breading or thickening and those kinds of things. Less gritty than 100% rice flour and easy to have on hand for those cooking tasks. 

If you haven't checked it out yet, make sure you cruise over to the allergy forum as well (lots of mamas in the know there!). Best of luck!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#3 of 16 Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Products we keep around are: ranch dressing, mayo, mustards, relish, vinegar, wortchestershire sauce, canned tomato products, tuna, salmon, skippy peanut butter, potato chips, canned beans, yogurt, ice cream, vitamins....

I know some of these might have additives that contain gluten. How can I tell by reading labels?

It would be best to check with the manufacturer and will vary by brand.  LIke Puffin girl mentioned something may or may not be gluten. 

I can tell you that french's mustard is gluten free.  Trader Joe's has a file of all their GF products online. Bubbies pickles and relish are gluten free.  Check your vitamins, many say if they are gluten, yeast, dairy, sugar, etc free.  More and more restaurants have GF menus or at least GF info online, just look before you go if possible.  Potato chips will vary by flavor and brand.  Yogurt and ice cream should be ok as long as you don't have cookie (or whatever) pieces mixed in. 

Also, so you can get GF bread crumbs for breading things in.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 16 Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 PM

http://www.celiac.com/  This website got me through going gluten free.  It is very helpful to anyone GF, even if not celiac.  Look at the unsafe food list for specific additives which contain gluten. This site will help with specific brands as well.  They even have a list of GF candy so maybe you can find a replacement there.  :)

For a flour replacement you can use one of many general purpose flours from King Arthurs to Bobs Red Mill to Namaste.  Everyone has their personal favorite.  Just a warning though:  these are all high in starch which is fine for many people but not for all.  Look into almond meal flour.  You cook with it differently but it makes amazing products without the starch. 

A favorite way of mine to find out if a product is GF is to simply google "Is (insert item) gluten free."  Generally something comes up about it.

Good luck! 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#5 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 AM

Just wanted to add having celiac disease is more than stomach cramps, migraines, joint pain. Your b ody attacks it in the intestines and eventually they will be so scarred up he will no longer be able to get nutrients and thus... He does need to be 100% gluten free. ANY contamination is contamination period and will take 6 weeks to get fully out.

Peanut butter cups are gluten free.. the mass marketed ones for holidays are not. So he will have to settle for the full sized ones :p

He should probably have his own pots and pans. I have my own and my own sponges. What's the point if your smearing yesterdays lasgane all over his pans to wash them?

many stores carry gluten free "all purpose" flour. You can also buy bread crumbs. There are a lot of creative ways to do things. Condiments are usually gluten free. Just have to read the ingredients. Instead of soy sauce use amino acids or a GF tamari sauce. Most everything you stated is gluten free except some potato chips (like cool ranch dorritos are gluten free but nacho cheese are not)...

#6 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 12:16 AM

faster aisle foods like chex cereal will have gluten free plasteres across it. Kix cereal is gluten free but the other corn puffs are not. Hamburger helper has gluten free rice dishes (most easy to make rice dishes aren't). I had 2 amy's GF burritoes tonight and they are really good. You could also take mac n cheese packets and dump the noodles and use the GF noodles and simply use the cheese packet (but read the cheese packet ingredients). I wash my hands a ton when doing this though but have never had a reaction.

#7 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You could also take mac n cheese packets and dump the noodles and use the GF noodles and simply use the cheese packet (but read the cheese packet ingredients)

I think Annie's makes makes a gluten-free macaroni and cheese.  Yep, they do: http://www.annies.com/naturalmacandcheese#jump142

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#8 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 11:11 AM

How very supportive of you to help your husband.  I second him having his own pots, pans, scrubby, really he should have his own counter in the kitchen.  DH is a professional cook and he doesn't make gluten breads in our home. 

I was a total junk food junkie when I started my path to healing 7 years ago.  I ate the Amy's brand a ton as that was one of the only ones on the market.  It was quick and easy (still processed) but you have to start somewhere.  I will occasionally eat one of their pizzas.  Last summer I thought that I could eat a Udies bagel a day, so darn good to have bread that actually tasted good, store bought.  About a month into it, I realized how it really wasn't good to do so. 

I ditched all condiments.  He will find that food tastes really good with out.... well, at least for me. 

celiacs.com is a great resource. 

I find that I cannot be to careful and pretty much stick to a non processed route.  A lot of products are GF these days, seems to be a trend.  I am not on board with chex mix, Betty Crocker, major companies, no thank you.  Have to remember where their ingredients come from. 

The one thing that I found interesting was how some products are potato heavy, bean heavy (Bob's Red Mill), nut heavy (Pamela's), rice heavy (Bob's Red Mill).  There is much more to going GF than just trusting the labels.  Do not quote me, been out of the processed foods loop for quite some time redface.gif

I wanted to add.... I rid of nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, etc.) and my joints feel even better than just being GF.  Just a thought. 

'09   
#9 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

I think Annie's makes makes a gluten-free macaroni and cheese.  Yep, they do: http://www.annies.com/naturalmacandcheese#jump142

Trader Joe's also makes a GF mac & cheese that is actually pretty good.  We have it about once a month as a treat for DD.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#10 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

Yeah, but I don't like it :P Sometimes it's nice to have some junk food like other people lol

#11 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM

any's also makes a frozen mac n cheese and you can get it not only gf but dairy free and soy free). I do keep these on hand for when I'm starving

#12 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Oh check to see if you have one of these around.. http://www.garlicjims.com/  to die for!!!!  Amy's pizza .. let's just say not my favorite. My healthfood store also makes a gf type "pizza" and they use polenta for a base. Definately not pizza but pretty good.

#13 of 16 Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffingirl View Post

Trader Joe's also makes a GF mac & cheese that is actually pretty good.  We have it about once a month as a treat for DD.

I honestly think they taste horrible, TG and Annies...  I cannot get into TG's anymore.  Better than regular grocery stores.

Try getting yourself a basic rice bran and or noodle then making your own sauce...  a simple cream and cheese.  Could do a roux and corn starch. 

One more thing....  Test yourself.   When you put the fork, spoon, whatever to your mouth.... what does your gut say....  it will seriously lead the way. 

'09   
#14 of 16 Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Another thought...

We like quinoa noodles.... taste pretty darn good.

http://quinoa.net/145/163.html

'09   
#15 of 16 Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm the GF one and my hubby still eats gluten. Most of the kitchen is GF, and if it has gluten, it is in his own cupboard/section. No double dipping in condiments. We do have two toasters, one for him, one for me. For the most part, pans are shared, except for the cast iron and stoneware. I scrubbed them and reseasoned them and  remind hubby that they are GF only, and he is getting a little better about making his frozen pizza on tinfoil, so i don't have to scrub and reseason again. We only do GF pasta, because to do both is just too much work. If you do both, then you need one dedicated gluten strainer and one dedicated GF strainer, two cooking pots, two pasta spoons, etc etc. I buy naturally GF condiments. Usually the organic kinds don't have gluten. There is maybe one brand of worstichire that is GF, but I gave up finding it. Now  I use part GF soysauce (La Choy brand, or San-J GF Tamari) and part Thai fish sauce (for that 'anchovy' flavor) and it works in all recipes. REGULAR mayos (like helmans canola or olive oil) are GF, it is the 'diet' versions and  'miracle whip' knock offs that you have to watch out for.

Basically, if it is a store brand, 'value food' or super cheap, it is probably not GF.

As for dressings, I get oil and vinegar in restaurants, and buy Newmans or Annies at home.

For breading, cornmeal/corn chex combo works great for oven fried chicken. Rice flour is ok too, I've use chick pea flour in some indian recipes.

Betty Crocker mixes are great for a 'quick treat' or look back nostolgically at the 'old food' Not necessarity nutritious, but good for a special occasion, or if you do potluck and friends ask "What can they bring?" I know that they'll be able to find it at their regular grocery and not mess up the instructions. Either that, or I tell them vanilla ice cream and fruit, or salad no croutons. Main meals are the hardest to trust for non-GF people to make.

Replacing flour for recipes will be a process of trial and error and personal preferance, and how much you want to pay$$$. Some premade mixes, like King Arthur, Better Batter, etc are super $$$ in my opinion.  But I have no fear baking and experimenting, so I try my own mixes of flours and starches I get in bulk.

#16 of 16 Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce is gluten free... in the US.

http://www.leaperrins.com/products/the-original-worcestershire-sauce.aspx

I believe in other countries it does contains gluten. Don't know why... shrug.gif

gl

hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page