Do you drink coffee? if so, how much? if not, why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I drink a small cup every morning and (occasionally a little more) and then again in the afternoon around 4 everyday BECAUSE. I have two kids one too old to nap one that doesn't nap the greatest AND I teach dance classes at my studio in the evening and I have to have lots of energy to keep going all day and then all evening! I feel like a stay at home mom and a working mom!! lol, not that I am complaining! I love everything I do.

SO anyway for some reason I feel guilty about being dependent on coffee ( if I conserve my energy I can have an afternoon smoothie instead and I do okay) but it is too hard to give up that morning cup of joe. 

I just wonder if once I get over the initial stage would I really have more energy once I was off of it and just overall healthier. I know there is confusion on if it is actually good or bad for you. 

So I guess my question is should I give it up or just realize it is a part of my life right now? haha!

for those of you that don't why not? (other than if you don't like taste)

for those of you that do? do you not feel bad that you are running on caffiene?!? lol

I  love the warmth, taste and pick me up, and just the culture that goes with the cup of coffee!

thanks mamas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 PM

I don't like the taste but if I did I still wouldn't drink it. I see everyone around me needing to drink coffee in order to get going in the morning and I don't want that kind of addiction.
#3 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM

I love coffee!!  caffix.gif

That said I am not drinking it right now because I only like it with half/half and I am dairy free for a while.  I never really needed it to "wake up" but I liked the ritual in the morning-grinding the beans, putting together the filter, the pot, listening to it brew. I miss that.  

I have no issue with caffeine (or alcohol) for that matter.  All things in moderation.  So if you like it, drink it. 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#4 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 05:54 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#5 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 PM

I drink one big cup per day, usually during my first hour of work, whether it is at the office or at home, and around the same time on weekends. I love the rich taste and warmth. I don't drink more because I need to have it with cream or milk (unless I am lucky enough to get some Turkish coffee) and do not want to waste too many calories on it (I just shed 20 pounds and am still watching what I eat). I guess I also consider it not to be the heathiest beverage so am trying to keep my intake moderate. I don't really feel like it gives me a pick-me-up but I do find that the caffiene affects my sleep if I have coffee too late in the day. While I could switch to decaf, if I want something hot later in the day, then I make some tea.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#6 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have never liked the taste of coffee. Every few years I try it but I just don't like it. I love all kinds of tea so that is what I usually drink.

#7 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 PM

I love the taste of coffee, but caffeine makes me jitterty, so I only drink decaf.  I probably have 10 cups a year.  It's a special treat to order a decaf latte when out, but I rarely do it.  I'd much rather have tea, and I have to drink that decaf, too.  I'm just too affected by caffeine.  I do love the feel of a hot drink in my favorite mug in my hands, especially during the colder months!  Especially while reading or knitting, but I digress...

#8 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 PM

I love love love coffee, but it gives me stomach problems and I came to realize that my bowel movements were completely dependent on it, so I quit about 4 years ago. Holly Bear's mom, have you tried it with light almond milk? Its not the same, but I know the few times Ive had it thats what I used as my "creamer" and it was pretty good.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM

I've been as high as 10-12 cups a day (early 20s, in an office job). These days, I drink two cups a day. I'm not really running on it. I don't like it when I miss it, and I love the ritual of my morning cup, but I don't have any issues with withdrawing or anything. It's just a really nice way to start the day.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 88 Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I don't drink coffee.  I don't think it's healthy and I don't like the taste/smell, but that's probably because I didn't grow up with parents who drank it or developed the taste for it myself.  I actually avoid caffeinated drinks of all sorts, besides hot chocolate, because I feel like the amount in chocolate is pretty negligible. 

I don't like the idea of altering my body chemistry and becoming dependent on a non nutritional substance to feel normal.  If my body is tired it's probably because I need more rest, and I don't want to ignore that need and potentially make things worse.  I had migraines nearly every day in high school and took daily prescription meds to try and lessen their frequency as wells as meds for when I had a headache.  The summer I graduated, I started sleeping as much as I needed to and eating and drinking regularly as well, and my headaches disappeared!   It was sort of a light bulb moment for me.  Now when I get a headache (which is rarely)  I usually don't take anything other than a big glass of water, healthy food and a nap/earlier bedtime.  All that to say, I try not to cover up my body's signals, because I've found it doesn't work for me. 

Also, my understanding of the way caffeine works is that it only makes you feel like you're not tired, but that your brain is still reacting just as sluggishly/muddled as it would without the caffeine.  And so I don't think it really makes you more productive in the long run.

Just my two cents. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#11 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 AM

oh yes i love coffee.  i try to keep it to two caffeinated drinks a day.  a good cup of coffee is one of the greatest simple pleasures in my life.  and i own a cafe, so i have to drink the product i sell... quality control :)

#12 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM

I, too have been thinking about this lately. For years I never had caffeine due to being pregnant and then nursing, pregnant again!

I just 6 months ago started drinking it. I have never felt so sluggish in my life. I was going to look into eating better/vitamins etc. I didn't even consider cutting the coffee until the other day. I bought some mint leaves to make bush tea but made a coffee instead.

I think I may try to quit and although i do enjoy it I feel like it is not healthy. I just LOVE the coffee shop ones though so would like to have it as a treat now and then.

There is a lot I could do to improve my energy level so I can't say it's just the coffee. Maybe we could all have a trial quitting week!

How is decaf??? Does it still taste like a real coffee? That could be an option.

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#13 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 09:13 AM

I drink 2 large cups of coffee everyday because I love it. Research is mixed on whether or not its good for you, but isn't that the way with almost anything?

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#14 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM

I started drinking coffee in college and had to have it every day. Then when I got pregnant, I just didn't want it. Since then (DS is 1 year) I've only had a few cups. It's become a treat to get a mocha or latte every month or so.

I didn't notice an energy level change when I stopped drinking it but that might have been due to the fact that I was in my first trimester and exhausted all the time anyway!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#15 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone for piping in!

as far as a non dairy creamer.... homemade cashew milk is incredibly creamy!!! although I haven't made it myself but a friend of mine does I tasted it and it was awesome and she said it was easy!

even though that may be true that my brain is still tired when I have to teach 3 and 4 year olds dance it is really important that I feel like going to sleep, or I get REALLY impatient. So even though I totally agree with you about not covering your body signals when you don't have a choice about going to bed earlier or napping then what?? :D

#16 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I don't drink coffee for a few reasons:

1. When I grew up my parents never drank it so I never got used to the idea that people "need" a cup of coffee in the morning.

2. I don't like the taste... though if I started drinking it I might grow to like it.

3. It makes me feel nauseated on the rare occasions that I do drink it (max 1x per year)... though if I drank it regularly that effect might go away

4. It messes with my sleep

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY - I am not interested in starting to drink something that would become addictive and without which I couldn't function once I was addicted. I enjoy feeling fresh in the morning without coffee!

I do enjoy warm beverages a lot though and I drink tons of herbal tea along with the occasional green tea if I am feeling a bit tired. I doubt the minimal amount of caffeine in green tea would have any effect at all on a coffee-drinker but because my caffeine intake is so tiny, the green tea is all I need to wake me up a little when I'm tired! The human body does build up a tolerance to caffeine and therefore if you hardly ever have any, you just need a tiny bit to energize you.

I remember when I was in high school my science fair project was on the effects of caffeine and we measured the effect of drinking a cup of coffee on people's heart rate, depending on whether they normally drank coffee or not. The non-coffee drinkers had a huge increase in heart rate after drinking a cup of coffee. The coffee drinkers also had an increase, but it was much less... I found that experiment very interesting :)

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

#17 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 PM

I drink one mug of coffee 4-5 days a week. I love the taste and the ritual. I'm not addicted to it at all. I don't get headaches if I don't drink coffee and it doesn't do much to wake me up.

If I need something to wake me up, I have coconut water. I get instant energy from it, with no caffeine side effects.

#18 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 PM

I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning, sometimes I have it early afternoon instead, sometimes I also have a cup in the late afternoon.  Usually, this is a small french press-sized amount of coffee.  I used to drink coffee 3-4x/a week but it's more of a daily habit now.  Sometimes I fit in 3 cups, but I try not to let it get to that - for me that's the stage where I really *feel* the caffeine is running me.  

The amount I usually drink doesn't affect me negatively (unless I have other stomach issues going on - I've abstained at times for that).  I don't tend to get headaches unless I'm going over this amount.  I too love the ritual, and the kids seem to let me relax while I'm having my coffee as opposed to doing anything else. . . so that is a bonus winky.gif.  

If I find I'm not loving it (because I personally love the taste of my black, pressed coffee) and am just making it out of habit I try to switch it around and drink teas or something else for at least a few days.  I do tend to drink in the evening if I anticipate an unpleasant bedtime with the kids, and it seems to help my patience then. 

#19 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 02:02 PM

I have 1-2 cups every morning.  I like it and I've gone without just fine.  I do enjoy my morning coffee though.

#20 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

THE MOST I EVER DRANK HABITUALLY WAS 2 SMALL CUPS A DAY. NOW I HAVE ONE THIRD OF A CUP IN THE MORNING, WITH A CUP OF GREEN TEA AND WATER, AND THE SAME IN THE AFTERNOON, BUT NOT EVERY AFTERNOON. I LIKE COFFEE IN MODERATION, BUT REALIZE THAT IT IS EMPTY CALORIES, WHICH I TRY TO AVOID MOST OF THE TIME,  BUT NOT ALL THE TIME.

#21 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiga View Post

I drink one mug of coffee 4-5 days a week. I love the taste and the ritual. I'm not addicted to it at all. I don't get headaches if I don't drink coffee and it doesn't do much to wake me up.

If I need something to wake me up, I have coconut water. I get instant energy from it, with no caffeine side effects.

what is this about coconut water instant energy? I have never heard of this

#22 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 03:43 PM

I drink a half pot every morning and then either another cup of coffee or tea in the evening. I love it and there's no way I'm giving it up.

obstruct livery vehicles

#23 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM

I really love coffee. I love the beans, the roast, the grind, the press, the sip. The ritual. I like that I is my undeniable thing that I must have that no one in my family needs, but they respect my desire for it--and my time drinking it. In a Mama's world, where few things are purely mine, this is the one thing I lay claim to with ferocity and self indulgence.

That said, I was concerned about loss of iron during pregnancy and in the newborn phase, so I quit cold turkey using willpower in my first month of being pregnant. I didnt start again until my babe was more than two months old. Then, I was moderate, at 1 cup in the morning. Now that that the wee one is now almost three years old, I am up to one four-cup French press in the morning. Sometimes I have an espresso shot at around 3 pm, but I try not to, since after noon it definitely affects my sleep that night.

I love my habit, and don't think it a bad one. It's my pleasure. However, lately, I have been thinking that my child's sleep patterns may be affected, too, even though we only nurse before coffee a.m., after lunch (nap), and at bedtime. I'm doubtful of any real affect, but I was just thinking about it...

Also, already, my babe thoroughly enjoys what I enjoy and has memorized every detail of how to make coffee with the French press. Not that it can be executed, but it is definitely observed. I have already started to not like having a beer or wine with dinner at home because a three year old saying "I have beer too?" kind of makes me ill. I wonder if the request for coffee will come next...

As a balance, I will add that I've known women whose parents gave them water with a *drop* of wine (just enough to color it) at family dinners and warm milk with a drop of coffee in it in the morning. Just so neither would ever turn into something Forbidden. And no harm came from it, nor obsessions with either beverage... Just another part of life to enjoy.

I would love to hear stories from mamas of toddlers about this topic, but maybe that's for another thread...
#24 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 09:47 PM

I don't drink coffee because it makes me have to pee a lot. I don't like spending so much time running to the bathroom over a one small cup of coffee.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#25 of 88 Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmheart View Post

thanks everyone for piping in!

as far as a non dairy creamer.... homemade cashew milk is incredibly creamy!!! although I haven't made it myself but a friend of mine does I tasted it and it was awesome and she said it was easy!

even though that may be true that my brain is still tired when I have to teach 3 and 4 year olds dance it is really important that I feel like going to sleep, or I get REALLY impatient. So even though I totally agree with you about not covering your body signals when you don't have a choice about going to bed earlier or napping then what?? :D

Yeah, it's when you can't get more sleep that is the hard part.  That's the point where I really start to seriously question my priorities.  Last fall 1 yo ds started having hellish sleep issues and I had just gone back to school part time.  He was keeping me up 3 or 4 hours in the middle of the night nearly every night.  I was trying everything I knew to get the sleep that I needed, and get ds to get the sleep that he needed, and it just was not working.  It lasted about 3 months.  Impatience was a big problem for me, after being woken up again, and trying for over an hour to put ds back to sleep.  I found I had to give myself pep talks before hand, about how I would handle it when he woke up, what steps I would take, how he wasn't doing it to make me crazy etc etc.  Luckily we got it figured out finally, otherwise I probably would have quit school. 

If you want to try giving up the coffee, maybe think of some mantra or other strategy ahead of time to handle your impatience in the dance class.  Or start thinking creatively about how to rearrange your life so that you can get more rest. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#26 of 88 Old 04-25-2011, 04:41 AM

I used to drink a few cups/day.  I don't drink it in the morning anymore.  I enjoy coffee, but it keeps me awake at night if I drink it too late in the day.  I also didn't like how I crashed every mid-morning after having coffee.  I guess I'm affected by it more than others, as dh drinks as many pots as some of you here drink cups.  Yep, dh drinks a few POTS of coffee/day.  He's from Turkey, so we also drink Turkish coffee.  In Turkey, it's a kind of mid-morning ritual (I think I explained this just recently in another coffee thread, but I can't remember where).  They drink tea for breakfast in Turkey, and coffee is considered a digestive.  Sometimes in the afternoon, I make myself a cappuccino and really sit down and relax with it.  I did so on this past rainy Friday afternoon and it was just lovely.  Had some Italian amaretti cookies along with it and it was a treat.  That espresso/cappuccino maker has been going for nearly 20 years now and I've loved every moment of owning it.  It makes me feel indulged without drinking a lot of coffee every day (and saved me a lot of money, since I can make all the coffee shop favorites at home).

#27 of 88 Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 PM

I tried to kick the habit, but I'm back to a daily cup of coffee. It's my only vice! If I don't have it I will get a headache so I know I'm hooked.

I used to need a morning coffee and soda at lunch when I was teaching, but I feel coffee is at least healthier than that junk. I drank half-caff during my pregnancy and am now breastfeeding. I was very careful to notice if affected my babe but I don't see any changes in his behavior if I drink it or not. I mix regular coffee with decaf so I do feel better about having less caffeine.  

If you are trying to cut back, you could try mixing in a little decaf and gradually cut back that way.

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#28 of 88 Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM

I live in NW were coffee is worshipped and I was barrista for a few years. I never really drank coffee or espresso because the “caffeine” made me so jittery. I was already a bit of a hyper spaz anyway and didn’t need any help in that department LOL

From learning about coffee I understand that it has additional componants beyond just caffeine that bring on the alert feeling but can also cause jitteriness or that anxious feeling. This isn’t found in chocolate, black tea, etc…

I occasionally drink decaf speciality drinks. I mostly drink a single cup of English Breakfast tea with cream and sugar in the morning. It’s warm and provides a bit of a boost.

Rhianna

#29 of 88 Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmheart View Post

what is this about coconut water instant energy? I have never heard of this

Coconut water is filled with electrolytes. It is the best pick-me-up! It can be an acquired taste, but I love it.

#30 of 88 Old 04-25-2011, 01:46 PM

I love LOVE coffee.  When I first was pregnant last year, I gave it up.  A bit of the way into my pregnancy I started having weekly lattes.  It was such a treat.  I have an infant now, almost 6 months, and while I'm sometimes conflicted...I admit I do have one large mug of coffee most days.  It's the easiest way for me to get a ton of calcium as my nursing babe can't yet digest the dairy protein.  So it's actually two cups I have of half coffee, half almond milk.  

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page