Favorite grocery list apps? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a good grocery list app (I have an iPad). I'd like it to be able to store a history of my lists including a place that I can enter in the price and keep a running total so that I can keep an eye on my budget and I don't want too spend a lot for it. In my dream world I could also populate the list from a meal planning app (and on a related note find one that I liked).

What do you use?
#2 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM

I have no idea, but subbing because I'd love something like this, too!

#3 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM

I don't know of one that does all that.

I used to use Grocery Zen on my iphone ( it doesn't have an ipad specific version) and it does allow you to enter recipe ingredients so you can just tap penne with mushroom sauce for example and it puts all the ingredients in the list. I didn't find it convenient though because most of the time I already had some of the stuff already so I had to delete it.

I've use Shopper, which does have an ipad specific version and it lets you check coupons and I think you can add prices. I never did that though because I don't track prices or coupons. I dropped it because I got sick of the ads in the app.

I now use Grocery IQ it has coupon capability and I'm pretty sure you can enter prices. It does have an ipad specific version, I only use shopping apps on my iphone because I don't carry my ipad with me all the time so I can't really review it as an ipad app.

For recipes I use macgourmet for ipad ( there is a separate iphone app), but it just syncs your recipes from your mac desktop/laptop computer and there is no windows version. It does have meal planning and grocery list making capability but it's not really a shopping app.

#4 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM

I used Grocery Guru on my iphone for a while. I don't think it had the option of including prices. I also removed it recently because when it updated, all my lists disappeared. I'm wondering if other grocery apps do that too when they update??
#5 of 7 Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 PM

We use (and love) OurGroceries.  It's nice b/c the kids have it on their ipod touches, I have it on my iphone, and DH has it on his Android.  When someone adds or crosses off something, it changes everyone's list.  Nice b/c I am often at the store during the day, then DH stops on his way home from work.

I haven't tried any others, though, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

eta: some of the ones mentioned sound really cool.  recipes/ingredient lists and even pricing? I might have to look around the app store...

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 7 Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Do you have to sign up for some online database for it to sync your lists across devices?
#7 of 7 Old 05-03-2011, 01:37 PM

ok nevermind, I looked up our groceries in the itunes store and apparently you have to purchase an upgrade to get it ads free. I'm totally sick of apps that have ads in them or require a fee to remove ads.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page