Books and tools recommendations: Jerky, drying, saurkraut and pickling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello.

I'd like to start making my jerkies, fermenting or drying food. So, any book recommendation is welcome.

My thoughts:

• On jerky I was thinking of getting

Jerky

Do you think it's an ok book? Which one you prefer on the subject.

• Drying Mary Bell's Book do you think is a good purchase? I think I want to make jerkies and dry nuts, not particular interested in drying fruit, grains or vegetables.

• On fermenting food, I'd like to get this for kimchi but I'm just afraid the ingredients are too exotic for this part of the world. For sauerkraut this or wild fermentation? I only wolud do some vegetable fermentation and after the summer sauerkraut.

I'm going to buy a crockpot here, prices in France seems cheaper to me than the States for these pots, likely a 5 Liter will be enough. I couldn't find a vegetable fermented master. Does it make a huge difference in your experience?

I've seen japanese pickle presses on amazon (which would be easier for my DH to bring back from the US) but they are in plastic and I'm not convinced.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wild fermentation is my bible! i have done sauerkraut, pickles, sourdough, and several other things from that book.

it is a great starting point, and has many, many different kinds of fermented food recipes. imo, when you are jsut starting out, an all in one book is more useful than a book on each product. the instructions are very easy to follow, and they have ingredients that should be easy to find in most countries.

i would not invest a lot in equipment at first. one of the beauties of fermenting foods is how little equipment it needs

good luck in your fermentation journey!

User Tag List