The 17 day diet continued-ACTIVATE and now ACHIEVE (post 82) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 135 Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

18 days ago I decided to give my diet an overhaul and started the 17 day diet. I lost 12 lbs!!! I journaled my results in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1308169/the-17-day-diet-a-journal

The diet is based on the premise that "you can do anything for 17 days". The focus is on clean eating- no refined sugars, no processed/packaged foods. In the first 17 days the focus is on lean proteins, lots of veggies, especially green/leafy ones, probiotics and limited fruits and fats. One variation that I made is that I am not really limiting good fats. 

For this stage (activate) the focus remains on lean proteins, lots of veggies, especially green/leafy ones, probiotics and limited fruits but you add in whole grains, legumes and whole food complex carbs. The catch is you can only eat those foods every other day. It is basically calorie cycling to keep your metabolism up.

So the purposed of this thread is basically for accountability.  I will continue to post throughout the day when possible. I am also going to start tracking my exercise as well. 

If you are reading, thanks.  Any support would greatly appreciated! And since it is a public message you are welcome to tell me what an idiot I am being too! winky.gif

Recap to date:

Friday April 8: weight in to get starting point

Weds April 13: start diet

Friday April 15: down 6 pounds

Friday April 23: down 4 pounds

Friday April 29: down 2 pounds

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#2 of 135 Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday was a really busy/on the go day. We left the house at 9:30 and didn't get home until 4:00.  I am so glad I packed a cooler!! Then it was out to dinner to celebrate my b-day.  All in all it was good day but it was also a cheat day too. bag.gif I am starting day 19 with adding the complex carbs so will on an odd/even schedule.

Day Eighteen (4/30): 

Hot water with lemon

2 whole eggs and 1 egg white omelet

2 mugs green tea

Cottage cheese

1 cup strawberries

grilled chicken breast

mixed green salad

a whole head of kale chips

green tea

beet salad with mixed greens

crispy grilled salmon

savoy cabbage (drowned in butter!)

3.5 glasses of wine

exercise: nothing formal. However we walked for hours on our outing.

#3 of 135 Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh- I am hungover this AM and very dehydrated. Not smart but it was fun while it was going on!  I had better up my water consumption today!

Day Nineteen (5/1): day one activate

2 whole eggs scrambled with feta cheese

green tea

Cottage cheese

1/2 cup oatmeal

6 oz greek yogurt

1/2 cup strawberries

1/2 up blueberries

Kale chips (my new addiction!)

oven baked turkey breast with a balsamic and spring onion reduction

sauteed mushrooms and artichoke hearts

steamed broccoli

exercise: 3 mile walk with a friend, did in just over 45 minutes

RECAP:

The day kind of got away from me today so I wasn't able to take full advantage of the added complex carbs or new protein choices. I also barely had any green tea either! Just as well since I really needed to hydrate. 

The oatmeal tasted really good!  There is something about slow cooked irish oats that really satisfies. My plan is to get up early enough to have for breakfast tomorrow, along with some gorgeous grapefruits I bought today or maybe some blueberries. I also bought a gorgeous steak too, looking forward to that tomorrow as well.yummy.gif

#4 of 135 Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM

how many calories does a day usually consist of? any other breakfast ideas than eggs? i am hoping to get my book soon!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#5 of 135 Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post

how many calories does a day usually consist of? any other breakfast ideas than eggs? i am hoping to get my book soon!

I have not been tracking calories so I have no idea!  When I get chance I will enter a typical day into Sparks and see what it says.  I think the calories would be pretty high considering you can eat as much proteins and veggies as you want but for the same reason another person could eat considerably less. KWIM?

For the first 17 days breakfast could be hard if you don't eat eggs. You can have 2 whole eggs and unlimited egg whites so that has been my staple.  If you don't eat them here are few other breakfast ideas:

• 6 oz of yogurt with a cup of berries
  • yogurt or kefir smoothie
  • cottage cheese and fresh fruit
  • apple "french toast"-thinly slice and apple and pan fry until tender, top a beaten egg seasoned with cinn/nutmeg/stevia

On the second cycle the options are endless- oatmeal, oat bran cereal, cream of wheat, brown rice, quinoa. The eggs can get much more interesting too as you can add black beans, corn for a mexican omelette, etc. 

Hope the book comes soon!!

#6 of 135 Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Good luck!

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#7 of 135 Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn_ack89 View Post

Good luck!

thanks!! orngbiggrin.gif

#8 of 135 Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

OK I am an idiot! duh.gif Today is an even day so no oatmeal for breakfast or steak for dinner. That will have to wait until tomorrow!

Day Twenty 5/2: day two of activate

2 egg omelet w/ feta cheese

6 oz greek yogurt

1/4 cup blueberries

1/4 cup blackberries

1/4 cup strawberries

oven grilled sesame salmon

romaine heart salad with lemon juice/olive oil dressing

pink grapefruit

lemon pepper chicken

steam broccoli

kale chips dipped in ketchup and hot sauce

exercise: another 3 mile walk, this time it was three of us.  I forgot to check my watch but I estimate we did it aprox 45 minutes again.  Chatting makes the time fly.  Oh and we walked three abreast while we did it! winky.gif

RECAP:

I am feeling really good-lighter and more energized. My desire for sugar, sugar substitutes and starches is completely gone.  I plain feel better!

My girlfriends are trying to talk me into running but the problem is I still just feel too big. I hate the feeling of my huge breasts bouncing and feel like my c-section Buddha belly is doing the same thing. The problem is when you have as much weight to lose as I do 12 pounds does not translate to looser clothes or less fat rolls. greensad.gif Maybe when my weight no longer starts with 2!

#9 of 135 Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM

WOW 12lbs in 17 days great job!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#10 of 135 Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

WOW 12lbs in 17 days great job!

Thank you!!  I appreciate the shout out. orngbiggrin.gif

#11 of 135 Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

What a gorgeous morning here in Southern New England! coolshine.gif

Day Twenty one 5/3: (day 3 of activate)

And even day-woohoo!!

Hot water with lemon

1/2 cup McCanns oatmeal w/ fresh nutmeg and cinnamon

1 soft boiled egg

6 oz greek yogurt

1/2 cup strawberries

1/2 cup blueberries

leftover grilled chicken

mixed green salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette

grilled london broil

caramelized onions sauteed with artichoke hearts

szechuen green beans

exercise: 3mile walk with some girlfriends.  We did it closer to an hour today, it was actually HOT!

RECAP:

The 1/2 cup of oatmeal was great after all those days eating egg, And had much more staying power, 

And tonight's steak?? OMG did it taste GOOD after all that chicken and turkey. I felt like I ate a ton but in reality I (we) ate much less than we usually do.  I cooked three smallish steaks which usually feeds the the three of us with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day. When I went out to kitchen there were still 4 slices of the second steak left and we hadn't even cut into the third! I was really proud of myself for not nibbling on those last few slices ad even more for keep my mitts of our our sons oven baked streak fries!!

Of course I can't eat the steak tomorrow but I am thinking steak and eggs on Thursday followed by a thai inspired steak salad for lunch! eat.gif

#12 of 135 Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Thx for your great PM back to me HollyBearsMom!  I am going to join in on your thread so if I hijack too much, just give me a virtual dirty look...winky.gif

I read all HollyBearsMom's posts last night & woke up this AM deciding to cancel my WW Monthly Pass & do this.  For various reasons, WW just hasn't been working for me & has been difficult for me to follow in my current lifestyle.  This diet is very similar to how I lived before children after I had lost 80lbs back in 2001.  I kept it off until I started having babies in 2007

I wanted to get started right away the best I could, but was not able to get out to the grocery store till this evening.  I downloaded the book to my Nook which in hindsight, probably wasn't the best way to go with a diet book, but I am managing.

Accountability is huge...for everyone.  So I am going to just chime in here with my food log because HollyBearsMom started a good thing ;)  I don't want to steal her thunder...just follow her lead. 

2 eggs

2 glasses of iced green tea (i already drink The Republic of Tea Double Matcha Green Tea so I had that in the house)

Couple pieces of organic turkey jerky

Non Fat Chobani Blueberry Yogurt (i am going to buy the plain going fwd & add my own fresh or frozen berries to it)

salad with fresh carrots, red onion, broccoli, grape tomatoes & cooked shrimp (i am out of salmon & chicken & had just bought a bag of shrimp on sale at WF)

2 tbsp homemade dressing (olive oil, vinegar, herbs, fresh lemon)

salad bowl from chipotle with chicken, peppers & onions, salsa, a little bit of shredded cheese & guac

large diet coke :(  (needed a boost so bad-DD2 hasn't slept in months & I might lose it any moment!!!)

now-here is where things got hard for me...DH got the salad too but also got the chips & salsa.  i ended up having 10 chips or so. 

but-later at Whole Foods, while i was feeling really hungry, DD1 got a cookie from the bakery & i picked one up with wax paper but then put it back.  i haven't said no to something in awhile so that felt empowering.  and then when i got home, DH was eating a few hershey kisses & i just walked away.  i cursed under my breath, but i walked away.  lol 

i am starving right now because i am up way too late...i can't wait for my eggs tomorrow morning. 

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#13 of 135 Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM

ooops-forgot about some questions...

1) can i freely squeeze lemon in my water all day??? 

2) do you buy your ground turkey, chicken & chicken breasts from the regular grocery store?  whole foods has them for $6.99 lb (white meat) & they are only a 2 on their animal welfare scale.  am i paying a fortune for poultry without any benefits?  is purdue any better or worse?  (probably a bigger question for the forum)

3) is there that big of a difference in adding fresh/frozen fruit to plain yogurt vs buying the yogurt with fruit on the bottom?  when i calculate the carbs/sugar, it seems pretty darn close???? 

Thoughts??? 

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#14 of 135 Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 AM

i like to see another poster, i like getting food ideas!! i am reading the book and gathering my food plans. i want to get my food set for a week because i know i will screw up if i don't have everything ready. i have also just been making better choices this week, stopping when full, drinking more water, just really starting to be more aware. the mindless/bored eating really gets to me. it seems like my mind has already been preparing for this diet and honestly the sugar cravings are already less and i too feel so empowered by saying no to that one cookie/chocolate whatever!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#15 of 135 Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

WOOHOO!!!  joy.gif Welcome ellairiesmom!!!  So glad to have you here! Congrats on starting and don't beat yourself up for the slip ups.    You passed on a cookie-how awesome is that??  Its all about the small changes, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post

ooops-forgot about some questions...

1) can i freely squeeze lemon in my water all day??? 

• yes you can!  it adds flavor so if its get you drinking all that water then go for it! fresh squeezed lime juice is good too

2) do you buy your ground turkey, chicken & chicken breasts from the regular grocery store?  whole foods has them for $6.99 lb (white meat) & they are only a 2 on their animal welfare scale.  am i paying a fortune for poultry without any benefits?  is purdue any better or worse?  (probably a bigger question for the forum)

• personally I grind my own chicken. I pay a little more for really good boneless breasts (with or w/o skin depending on whats on sale) and then run it thru my kitchen aid mixer with the grinder attachment. It is a lot less $$ then the WF ground. However I have no issues with grocery store ground chicken, but I know I am in the minority.
  • If you don't have a kitchenaid you can do the same in the Cuisinart by cutting the breasts into chunks and then "pulsing" in food processor. Not the same texture but works find for burgers or crumbles.
  • I do buy organic/free range chicken breast and turkey breasts whenever possible and most it comes from WF or the local butcher but when the good stuff is on sale at Stop and Shop or BJ's I stock up! But as I said, I have no issue when the budget doesn't allow and I have buy purdue or the grocery store brand.

3) is there that big of a difference in adding fresh/frozen fruit to plain yogurt vs buying the yogurt with fruit on the bottom?  when i calculate the carbs/sugar, it seems pretty darn close???? 

• I think there is a huge difference in using whole fruits whether fresh or frozen. I believe they are more nutrient dense and have more fiber than what you will find at the bottom of the yogurt. Plus a serving of whole fruit is so much more satisfying! It makes the bowl look like so much more food, LOL!

Thoughts??? 

#16 of 135 Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning all.  May the Fourth be with you! winky.gif

How exciting to see other posters joining the band wagon! Lookatree, looking forward to seeing your posts too!

Day Twenty two 5/4: (day 4 of activate)

hot water with lemon

2 eggs over easy

pink grapefruit

green tea

6 oz greek yogurt

1 cup strawberries

lemon grilled chicken breast
caramelized onions
mixed green salad with lemon vinaigrette

grilled atlantic salmon
steam broccoli
mixed green salad

exercise: 20 minute walk with a friend as well as 25 minutes on tread:  15 at 3.0 mph/6% incline, 5 minutes a 3.0 mph/3% incline and 5 minutes at 3mph/no incline

RECAP:
Another well done day food an exercise wise.  YEAH!  Though I made the mistake of perusing the TJ flyer.  Chocolate almonds with turbino sugar and sea salt! YUM!! And Mango chili popsicles! Come on stage four!

#17 of 135 Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Yeah...so...the plain nf greek yogurt...wow...what a difference when you are used to fruit on the bottom nf greek...i took a serving of frozen organic berries & crushed them up real well & then mixed it all up in a bowl.  It was still really, really rough to get down so I had to add a tiny little bit of splenda.  (it wasn't even half a packet-once we use up our splenda, we'll switch to truvia).  That helped.  The funny thing is, the #'s are exactly the same...the calories/carbs for the frozen fruit was 60/13.  The difference in calorie/carbs in the yogurt with the fruit already in it is 60/13 (for strawberry banana flavor-it might vary a gram or 2 per flavor).  I do believe it is probably more satisfying to do the real or frozen fruit.  And of course, it's more nutrient packed.  But I TRULY felt a huge difference in taste.  We'll see if I can get used to that one.

I am probably the only mama on mothering.com who doesn't own a food processor, kitchen aid mixer or grinder...lol.  I am going to check with some local butchers as well as farms but for now, I guess I need to figure out if I can afford to do WF for as much of the meat as I want to...we had cut back on our meat/poultry a little because I was on the fence about letting the kids eat regular stuff from shoprite.  And I am not making different meals so all of us will be eating the same thing.  And my girls like their protein!   Maybe it can be an every other thing-one day we do Purdue, the next day, something from WFs. 

Day 2

2 eggs with egg whites added

big mug of green tea

6oz plain nf greek yogurt with 1 serving of frozen mixed berries

tiny sprinkle of splenda

2 decent size turkey burgers w/ 1 slice of fat free cheese split between the 2 patties

mixed green salad, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, 2 tbsp homemade olive oil/vinegar with spices & fresh lemon dressing

I made the girls mac & cheese for lunch & hadn't eaten yet & without even thinking, took a spoonful of the mac & cheese to see if it was too hot for them...habits are hard to break.  But I didn't eat anymore of it & quickly got my lunch going so I wouldn't be tempted to pick at anything else. 

more to follow...

#18 of 135 Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 PM

HollyBearsMom,

I am trying to go back on my nook & read my stage more carefully but I thought I would ask you a couple more ?s-if you don't mind...it's tough on the nook because visually, food example lists are mixed in with the content-you don't get to see an actual "list" in one spot...hard to explain but a little annoying.

1) fat free cheeses & other non fat dairy are allowed?  and that would be as a condiment in small amounts?  what about feta, blue or goat crumbles during the 1st phase? seems like you added them to salads?  reg fat versions? 

2) do you think it's a huge mistake/no no to use heinz organic regular ketchup in moderation a couple days a week?  if so-any other ketchup brand suggestions?  i'm googling as well...see what options there are & read reviews.  i really enjoy ketchup on turkey burgers & would feel like I was missing out if I didn't have a good tasting ketchup.  i am not into the idea of making my own.

Thx there "inspiration girl"... ;)

#19 of 135 Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

OK- answers below.  Hope this helps!! How has the rest of the day gone? 

Quote:

HollyBearsMom,

I am trying to go back on my nook & read my stage more carefully but I thought I would ask you a couple more ?s-if you don't mind...it's tough on the nook because visually, food example lists are mixed in with the content-you don't get to see an actual "list" in one spot...hard to explain but a little annoying.

1) fat free cheeses & other non fat dairy are allowed?  and that would be as a condiment in small amounts?  what about feta, blue or goat crumbles during the 1st phase? seems like you added them to salads?  reg fat versions? 

• fat free dairy like cheese and sour cream are fine per the book in "moderation" and as a condiment. This is where I varied from the diet and why I probably didn't have a bigger weight loss. I think healthy fats are good for you so I used regular feta and goat cheese, albeit sparingly, in my omelette's and salads. Probably no more than a heaping TSP or two. I also used at least double the amount oil he recommends per day. But if you want to go by the book all condiments, bottles salad dressings etc should be fat free.

2) do you think it's a huge mistake/no no to use heinz organic regular ketchup in moderation a couple days a week?  if so-any other ketchup brand suggestions?  i'm googling as well...see what options there are & read reviews.  i really enjoy ketchup on turkey burgers & would feel like I was missing out if I didn't have a good tasting ketchup.  i am not into the idea of making my own.

• The book suggests using a "low carb/reduced sugar" ketchup but the only kind I could find was Heinz made with sucralose which I thought tasted funny so I have been using the Heinz organic as well but rarely. You might want to try the low carb Heinz and see what you think. I did make my own version with truvia with just ok success so I don't think your missing out by not wanting to make it yourself, LOL! I think if you keep the portion size low you (we!) will be fine if we go with the organic stuff.
  • I know you are not loving the FF plain greek yogurt but try mincing some cucumber, some garlic and some dill and mixing in all into the yogurt for a really good dip for veggies and a topping for grilled chicken
  • Also salsa by itself or mixed into the FF yogurt makes a great topping for chicken/turkey burgers

Thx there "inspiration girl"... ;)  

#20 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 AM

I think perdue is comparable to WF.....unfortunately. Also ALL artificial sweeteners should be avoided IMO b/c they are chemicals and most can cause cancer and other ill effects. Here is a little something on Splenda for you: http://jstevens.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/how-sucralose-aka-splenda-is-made-and-why-you-want-to-avoid-it/

So I a not quite where you are but you have inspired me to be less carb and jump back on the watch-what-I'm-eating wagon! I have lost 3lbs this week!!!!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#21 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 AM

nak

ok-so...i didn't get a chance to sign back in last night...i checked the scale this am even though I knew I shouldn't have-but it was down 2 lbs which was a nice boost!

dinner from last night

another turkey burger since i had it made already & was STARVING-I had made a bunch of them earlier in the day-some were little sliders for the kids.  they loved that. 

this time i measured out 1 tbsp of the heinz organic ketchup & it is actually alot so i think i am fine with under the actual serving on my burgers going fwd

steamed broccoli & baby carrots

i was extremely hungry last night.  i ended up needing to cheat.  I had 2 rice cakes with a very small amt of peanut butter on them.  definitely not part of the diet but so much better than what i would have done before starting this.  i also drank 6oz of skim milk. 

i didn't get any exercise in yesterday but it is beautiful here today so after our 2:30 showing (our house is on the market) i'll go out for a walk BY MYSELF!!!!

shrink session time:

the diet isn't too hard (until after 4pm or so for me) but it would be so much easier if i were sleeping.  i am getting about 4-5 total hours & never more than 2 hours in a row.  DD2 is up all night.  it's been several months now of it...there was a 3 day break a few weeks ago after 2 molars came through.  but between teething & ear infections/ear fluid issues, it's been brutal.  and some nights we just aren't sure what is going on.  she just "whine complains" all night while tossing & turning next to us.  the sleep deprivation is making me feel crazy.  and we started watching another little girl who is really giving me a run for my money-hitting, pushing my 15 mos old, pulling my 3.5 yo's hair...in general-I feel like I am losing it!  lol

I keep envisioning how amazing I will feel if I could lose this 45 lbs or so...how back when i lost 80 lbs years ago, i felt so good for years after it literally made every problem seem so much smaller...and maybe DH & I could even try & use that gift certificate for a local hotel my mom got us a year ago that we still haven't used.  there is a pool & the certificate includes one overnight & dinner & drinks at ruth chris inside the hotel.  how great i would feel in nice clothes again & a bathing suit.  

ok-back to screaming toddlers... :)  

#22 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 AM

I know-I think WFs is really pulling one over on us with their chicken...I would like to find out more about it actually. 

And yes-artificial sweeteners are the devil.  I am not proud of needing them once in awhile or drinking diet coke a few times a week.  But I guess I try & limit other poisons like pesticides & such so that at least I am not adding insult to injury.  I got my diet soda down to very little.  We no longer buy it at all.  So it's kind of a "when we are out or at social things" type thing.  And I hardly EVER use the Splenda. 

Quote:

I think perdue is comparable to WF.....unfortunately. Also ALL artificial sweeteners should be avoided IMO b/c they are chemicals and most can cause cancer and other ill effects. Here is a little something on Splenda for you: http://jstevens.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/how-sucralose-aka-splenda-is-made-and-why-you-want-to-avoid-it/

So I a not quite where you are but you have inspired me to be less carb and jump back on the watch-what-I'm-eating wagon! I have lost 3lbs this week!!!!

#23 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Congrats on the 3 pounds!! that is awesome!! thumb.gif

I have never used artificial sweeteners probably by not being a soda or a "sweet drink" person. Had no reason to try them. The low sugar carb ketchup had a funny aftertaste but I imagine if you are used to sucralose and the like it probably would taste fine. The author of the book is really focused on "clean" eating, avoiding HFCS, eating whole fruits and veggies which works for me because I pretty much ate that way anyway but it may not work for everyone. Its all baby steps so I don't sweat these things. It seems every time you turn around there is another thing to worry about. Being obese (as I am) could be just as bad for my health, KWIM?

#24 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning everyone!  I am excited that today is an "odd" day so I can have my leftover steak.  I am also going to make so "hummus" to have with lunch, woohoo!!

Day 23 5/5: (day 5 of activate)

Hot water with lemon

1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal with cinnamon and nutmeg

1 egg over easy

2 huge mugs green tea!

mock hummus- 1/2 cup chick peas and 1 clove garlic pureed with 1 tsp olive oil and a healthy squeeze of lemon juice

sliced cucumbers

6 oz greek yogurt

1 cup strawberries

green tea

romaine lettuce salad topped with sezchuen green beans and lemon/basil vinaigrette

slice steak

pork chops topped with mustard glazed mushrooms

roasted asparagus

more green tea

exercise: 3 mile walk with friends at a really good pace.  It was chilly today but I still sweated.

RECAP:

Can I just say how full I am?? All without being stuffed? Oatmeal for breakfast, hummus for a snack, pork chops for dinner, yum yum and yum! I am starting to turn food away which is a real change for me. I have always eaten "healthy" but portion control is my downfall along with mindful eating. And when something is really good I can keep pace with my husband. In this stage (as in the last) you can have unlimited lean proteins and I took full advantage of that fact.  But I notice I am eating less each day.  That has got to pay off on the scale!

#25 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Steph- you are doing great!  Don't give power to the negative thoughts. Keep telling yourself that you are an AMAZING women and you can do this. 

The sleep issue is a big deal. Your body needs fuel if you are not sleeping.  Did you see the chapter in the book called "The PMS Exception".  It might be just what you need to get you thru the no sleep cycle. In this stage you can have additional proteins and three serving of specific carbs like oatmeal, whole grain bread (sugar free), black beans, sweet potato, and a few others. You can also have higher sugar fruits like bananas, mangos, melon and grapes. I would read thru the chapter and see what you think.

Remember slow and steady wins the race and your prize is that hotel and dinner. biggrinbounce.gif

#26 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Holy Cr#% sosurreal09!  You aren't even following a specific diet & you lost 3 lbs already...you go girl!  That really helps enforce the low carb/watching what we eat behavior.  It's weird-it's not like I don't know it works...and it's not like I didn't already have it work for me once before in my life...but for some reason...I couldn't get there on my own.  This thread & others joining in really helped me get going which is the hardest part. 

#27 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM

HollyBearsMom-Veggie Dip with the FF Greek Yogurt

DUH!  That's a great idea...I can't believe I was only thinking of it as a yogurt.  I LOVE dipping veggies in something like that.  Perfect.  That will also be a nice way to mix up getting some servings of the veggies in.  THANK YOU for suggesting that.

Incidentally, I just had the most amazing breakfast.  I am in love with eggs so that makes waking up a little easier ;).  I took the time to cut up some leftover steamed broccoli last night, added some garlic & then a very small handful of shredded low fat cheddar...also mixed in some whites with the 2 reg eggs.  AND I had the 1/2 grapefruit which tasted so freaking good.  I just discovered a taste for grapefruit a few years ago & am thrilled about it.  It actually cures my cravings for other BAD things.  I squeeze some into my water & green tea too now. 

I am going to read the PMS chapter later on-I think if I could just add in 1 thing, it might help me not crash so hard later on.  And although I don't think my milk supply is going to be impacted at this point, it might be good to make sure it isn't with a little something extra from that chapter. 

2 other questions for anyone else following along-

1) Ideas for chocolate cravings?  is there anything that is "free" ?  maybe a tea?  I have tried a few but haven't quite found one that I love...Republic of Tea seems to have some that look very rich & yummy & are less than 5 calories per serving...

http://www.republicoftea.com/category.aspx?c=56

2) suggestions for low fat or no fat cheeses?  1st choice would be ones that are organic but they can be hard to find.  it sucks to say, but kraft has soooo many alternatives, and are easily available & affordable. 

#28 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I am huge egg lover too. Honestly I would have a very hard time sticking to this diet if I didn't. Eggs for breakfast have always been my staple-boiled, scrambled, deviled, fried I love 'em! Oh if you like the veggie dip then once you hit stage two you should try FF greek yogurt mixed with chives on top of a baked potato. Yummy!

Quote:

2 other questions for anyone else following along-

Hope some other poster have good ideas. I love reading about food!!

1) Ideas for chocolate cravings?  is there anything that is "free" ?  maybe a tea?  I have tried a few but haven't quite found one that I love...Republic of Tea seems to have some that look very rich & yummy & are less than 5 calories per serving...

http://www.republicoftea.com/category.aspx?c=56

• I am the wrong person to ask since while I like chocolate I rarely crave it.  When I do it is the salty/sweet variety.  That said my BFF loves that new "dessert" gum.  I am sure it is a chemical nightmare but she swears it keeps the craving at bay.  Her fave is the mint chocolate chip flavor
  • As you can probably tell I am not huger stickler so I would say if you can't find a tea that handles the craving or don't like the gum I would recommend buying the BEST chocolate you can afford (sharfenberger, valhrona, green and blacks, etc) and slowly savoring a small piece.

2) suggestions for low fat or no fat cheeses?  1st choice would be ones that are organic but they can be hard to find.  it sucks to say, but kraft has soooo many alternatives, and are easily available & affordable. 

• I have yet to find a good fat free organic cheese.
  • I do like the President brand fat free feta (not organic) which you can find pretty much anywhere but most of the others aren't worth it to me, I'd rather have a smaller amount of the real stuff.
  • Goat milk cheese is naturally lower in fat than many cow milk cheeses. I like to buy local chevre whenever possible. I love the the Vermont Butter and Cheese company and Hillman Farms. You are in NJ, right? You might be able to find them either in WF or a good cheese/gourmet store.
  • Cabot is a good choice for low fat cheddar.

#29 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Sounds really good!  I do have one suggestion...

Quote:

large diet coke :(  (needed a boost so bad-DD2 hasn't slept in months & I might lose it any moment!!!)

Could you make plain tea very strong to supply your need for caffeine without all the chemicals and stuff?

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#30 of 135 Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:

1) Ideas for chocolate cravings? 

A very small pieces of high percentage organic high quality dark chocolate kept in the freezer and portioned out. Would that work for you?  

I use no fat greek yogurt as a mayo and also as sour cream.  I love it this way and so does DH.  Very creamy and thick and works.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Tags
Weight Loss , Sugar

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page