What should a kid drink? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

I don't understand buying deliberately watered-down juice. (Unless of course they're watering down the price, too.) I agree with watering juice-- I watered my kids' juice when they were toddlers and preschoolers, too. But to pay money to have somebody else water it means I'm getting less juice for my money, which is senseless when my water at home is nearly free. Why not just buy real juice, and water it yourself?

My DD1 does take juice boxes to school. I can't remember what the name of them is right now-- they are vegetable and fruit juice mixes. Going to go google it--

Fruitables. That's it.

The Apple & Eve Fruitables are my favorite.  Personally, I buy the Honest Kids stuff when we go to family gatherings because it's in the pouches like Capri Sun, and the kids like Capri Sun.  I also only buy it when Publix has it BOGO. 

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post

The Apple & Eve Fruitables are my favorite.  Personally, I buy the Honest Kids stuff when we go to family gatherings because it's in the pouches like Capri Sun, and the kids like Capri Sun.  I also only buy it when Publix has it BOGO. 

Okay, I get buying it to use when you're out, or when other kids will be having juice pouches and your kids want them to. That's why I send the fruitables to school with DD-- because she wants to have what everybody else has, and those are a better option than the Hi-C that most kids here bring. I was thinking you meant routinely at home-- and I was thinking that for us, at least, it would get awfully expensive to be buying watered-down juice in pouches to drink on a daily basis.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Juice is definitely a treat for my kids.  They drink almost totally water and raw milk.  We do make a lot of smoothies and they will put ice and lemons in the vitamix and make a "slushy" - they like them really tart.  For tea, they like "sleepy" tea (chamomile) and peppermint tea.  I make homemade almond milk for my 14 months old.  He loves it.  He drinks that, water, and raw milk.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM

What is wrong with black tea? I drink iced black tea with lemon and DD usually has some of mine at 20 m/o there is like 10mg of caffeine per 8 oz which is like nothing. Is there a reason black tea would be bad?

edited to add: Otherwise she drinks a ton of water and breast milk. She only has juice if it's freshly juiced and even that is rare b/c all the kid eats is fruits and veggies for the most part.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Someone told me black tea can be high in fluoride???

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM

bigeyes.gif How and why? The tea itself? I mean I am using my water brewing it myself. How can tea leaves be high in fluoride?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Googled it WTH? I just quit coffee and started drinking black iced tea every morning....IDEK that it had fluoride in it or that fluoride could naturally occur in anything...Now what do I drink? Is there an herbal tea similar to black tea in flavor?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Just water here. They don't mind. DD sometimes asks for herbal tea but I think it's more the idea of it that she likes, not the taste. I do keep a water pitcher in the fridge so it's nice and cold.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Googled it WTH? I just quit coffee and started drinking black iced tea every morning....IDEK that it had fluoride in it or that fluoride could naturally occur in anything...Now what do I drink? Is there an herbal tea similar to black tea in flavor?

Hmm I can't say I've had one similar to black tea but herbal teas are hugely varied so you could just try some different ones until you hit one you like!! There is also mushroom tea (OK it's not tea, I don't know what it's called???) and it tastes kind of like a cross between coffee and tea and it has a bit of an energy kick but low level of caffeine.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My kids drink water.  I won't lie, they also get koolaid  and iced tea and as a treat pop.  I don't consider them health food but I don't think it is harmful either.  My kids have never been given milk to drink.   And the last two only got juice as a treat (I have never had delusions about it being healthy or kids needing it.)

If you give her nothing but water she will learn to like it.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM

My kids drink milk with meals and water whenever else.  We don't forbid other things, and but they stick almost exclusively with milk or water.  My oldest, who is 15, will have an occasional Gatorade or soda (at a party or friend's house), but mostly just water or milk.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM

DD drinks mostly distilled water, with milk or diluted juice at some meals. Chocolate milk as a treat when she goes grocery shopping with DH. We have also recently been making water kefir with cranberry juice, which she calls "soda" and loves plus it is quite healthy. She'll also sip on my iced herbal tea and sometimes ask for her own but it isn't something I regularly offer. I don't usually give her juice throughout the day but now that it is hot I offer it (diluted) to encourage her to drink and stay hydrated as it seems to work better than with just plain water.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 AM

Iced Tazo passion tea all day long, ice water, milk and very watered down juice (basically flavored water)

They are always hydrated. Mostly because of herbal teas. They don't drink soda really (on occasion) and are healthy. I have to be careful though- if it were up to my first born, he'd never eat and only drink :lol 

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Old 06-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Just FYI, last time I looked at the Honest Kids stuff, the first ingredient was high fructose corn syrup.  Now, I don't avoid that entirely, but I prefer their juice not to have it, ya know?

Mama of three.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

Just FYI, last time I looked at the Honest Kids stuff, the first ingredient was high fructose corn syrup.  Now, I don't avoid that entirely, but I prefer their juice not to have it, ya know?

I don't buy this but I just googled it & it doesn't have HFCS. http://www.honesttea.com/kids/ It does, however, have lots of cane juice...

Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM

at 20 months my son likes

to nurse :)

Water

chamomile, lavender, lemon balm and catnip herbal tea blend  (warm or cold)

ginger and hibiscus tea (hot or cold)

strawberry lemonade (with a little maple syrup) as a treat

loves Nettle infusion (this can give you a lot of energy and yet help you sleep better at night)

green smoothies

coconut juice (no added sweetener I think it's the amy and brian brand) as a treat

:
Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenlady View Post

at 20 months my son likes

to nurse :)

Water

chamomile, lavender, lemon balm and catnip herbal tea blend  (warm or cold)

ginger and hibiscus tea (hot or cold)

strawberry lemonade (with a little maple syrup) as a treat

loves Nettle infusion (this can give you a lot of energy and yet help you sleep better at night)

green smoothies

coconut juice (no added sweetener I think it's the amy and brian brand) as a treat

Please tell me what Nettle infusion is, I keep hearing about it but I am so clueless!!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 AM

This was the shortest while informative link I could find

http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009/01/stinging-nettle-infusion.html

a google search will get you lots of info.

I learn more about Nettles all the time.

:
Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Not sure if this is what other people mean by Nettles infusion but I mix a couple different red tea and herbal tea blends with nettles. I get them from Mountain Rose Herbs. Here's the link for info on Nettles: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/nettle_leaf.php

Tags
The Raw Truth About Milk
User Tag List