What should a kid drink? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD drinks milk and prefers it over anything else except juice (which I rarely give).

I used to give her water as much as milk but as she grew older and expressed her preferences more, water stopped being an option for her.

If I take her off milk (considering dairy-free to try to address FTT and cavities), I can't think of anything other than water to give her. Which might be ok but I was just wondering if there was some other healthy drink I wasn't thinking of. I don't consider juice healthy. The only thing else I can think of is soda (no WAY) and maybe iced tea (doesn't sound healthy to give to a child unless it's herbal maybe - and I do have a plot of mint in the yard that I make tea with during the summer).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM

my kids like iced herbal tea.  especially a certain berry flavored one that they happily drink unsweetened. 

#3 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 AM

My kids drink 98% water, but my 7yo also likes herbal teas and sparkling water, with lemon or a shot of juice.  He also likes coffee, which I make for him using my spent coffee grounds so he doesn't get too much caffeine (gross!!! but he likes it). 

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#4 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 AM

My son drinks smoothies, iced teas of all sorts of varieties, water with a splash of juice in it, and milk.  There are alternitives to cow's milk like coconut milk, goats milk, rice milk.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#5 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Mostly water. They also like smoothies, and an occasional cup of herbal tea. We don't even ice it, except in the summer. They like it warm. Peppermint is a favourite, and they like a few other ones - some dried berry teas, and a spice mix, and a few others.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#6 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Mine drink juice in the morning, milk (cow's milk for ds1, rice milk for ds2) or water with meals.  They have the rare pop and tea usually once a week or so.

#7 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 PM

DS drinks water (and breastmilk) except for special occasions, where he might have a tiny bit of sparkling juice. He occasionally has smoothies (usually banana, peanut or almond butter, and coconut milk) or herbal tea.

Other options: coconut water, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk and other things like that, you can make your own nut/seed milks really easily...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 04:23 PM

My kids pretty much only drink water. Juice is a treat, only the little one will drink cow milk, and only wants it rarely. It was very helpful that my super picky, sensory issue oldest hated anything "too sweet" (like juice!) when he was little - so he would only drink water and the younger kids followed his lead. If you can get her to drink water, I'd just give her that.
#9 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 PM

I was raised drinking only water, and to this day anything else is rare. I actually struggle w this weaning thing because of it. I didnt grow up w milk being a drink, so offering it to DS is hard for me.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Kddos drinks water mostly, then herbal teas  (sweetened & warm mostly), smoothies and some times hemp milk. Juices is just for especial ocassions.

They also CLW and nurse/ed often until around their thirth years old.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#11 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 06:34 PM

It's strictly water or milk in our house, lemonade or occasionally sweet tea when we're out. I've found that when they know there's juice in the fridge, I have a really hard time getting them to drink the "good" drinks instead, so I don't even have it in the house most of the time.

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#12 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 PM

One of my boys drinks skim milk because he feels it helps him recover well after exercise. My other two primarily drink water but they do drink green tea with lunch & on occasion they have fruit juice.
#13 of 49 Old 05-01-2011, 08:22 PM

water, herbal teas, i don't buy juice or milk for drinking unless it is the occasional juice box (and i buy the ones that are pre watered down LOL)

eta oh and bm of course

mama to one '07 and one '09
#14 of 49 Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Aside from water and milk, I buy sparkling water regularly.  Juice is 1-2x/mth, a 32 oz bottle and my girls drink it mixed w/sparkling water.  I like it that way too.  And about 1x/mth I'll buy a 6 pk of Zevia soda.  For the four of us, that's not much soda, and it's a nice treat. 

#15 of 49 Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Same as most pps here too--DD drinks mostly water, some milk, some sparkling water and tea (all kinds, green, black, herbal, hot or cold).  Juice is a few times a month--we don't buy it for home usually and it's a treat, like if DH and I are having wine or beer she gets juice. 

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#16 of 49 Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Happy to have a dd who prefers water best (plain or sparkling).  She also really likes iced herbal teas - favorites are chamomile and mint (which also mix well with juices, if you like to use juice to make fancy diluted-juice drinks, they're good with apple juice especially).  She also likes making her own homemade lemonade, which we sweeten minimally.  I add fruit, herbs, cucumber slices to water myself pretty regularly and she likes that too herself.

If your dd is really attached to milk, making homemade frozen fruit-coconut milk treats might be sorta satisfying for your dd when trying to transition away (being creamy and kinda milky themselves).

#17 of 49 Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 AM

My DD drinks spiced cow milk, takra (indian buttermilk), pomegrante juice, coconut water and water. Sometimes I maker her herbal tea.

#18 of 49 Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM

My two-year-old DD drinks mostly water. We don't give her juice or milk (she still nurses a lot).  I'll occasionally give her herbal tea (there are lots of tasty varieties; we're partially to Celestial Seasonings), some kombucha sometimes (not too much), and coconut water.  Coconut water is nutritious and pretty low in sugar.  We give it to her especially if either I'm sick (so less nursing), or she's been sweating a lot or otherwise acting dehydrated.  You have to make sure to get the kind with no added sugar or other stuff.  We also have smoothies sometimes, but those are more like snacks than beverages.  :-)

SAHM to Lucy energy.gif, born 4/26/2009. Etsy shop owner. sewmachine.gif  Lover of internet memes. geek.gif  Current and future unschooler.

#19 of 49 Old 05-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post

water, herbal teas, i don't buy juice or milk for drinking unless it is the occasional juice box (and i buy the ones that are pre watered down LOL)

eta oh and bm of course

What brand of juice boxes are pre-watered down?  I would much rather DS drink those than any others!

DS (2) drinks mostly water, occasional smoothies (yogurt, fruit), & occasional juice mixed with water.  Very rarely we make chocolate milk.  We're not milk drinkers here, so it is odd for me to offer it to DS as a beverage.  He was still nursing until about a month ago.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#20 of 49 Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 PM

seltzer, water, milk. that is all my son drinks, in order of preference.

edited to add: he is nine

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#21 of 49 Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM

You can always use the other milks out there... almond, soy, rice or coconut. You could try kefir too. My DS drinks mostly whole milk, and smaller amounts of soy milk, water, and juice/other drinks, in that order. Not sure how old your LO is but when taking out milk it is easy to really decrease the calories and healthy fats and other vitamins they get- not to say you shouldn't remove it if you feel you need to, just throwing it out there to be careful with her diet.

#22 of 49 Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 PM

My kids drink mostly water and they also like the berry-flavoured herbal tea warm or cold. On special occasions/holidays, we have sparkling water mixed with juice. I grew up drinking milk and I strongly feel that water/tea is SOOO much healthier. My kids would drink milk more if I offered. I try to think of it as a snack and not a beverage. I'm also very careful about which milk I give them due to naturally occurring estrogens in the North American milk supply (due to the way dairy cows are milked) being potentially linked to some cancers and precocious puberty. Here's a link: http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

I also think the true health benefits of milk are oversold by the Dairy Industry...as a calorie source, dairy or fermented dairy  are definitely fine in moderation. I'll never go back to dairy as an everyday beverage, though.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#23 of 49 Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 AM

My kids drink one cup of orange or grapefruit juice with breakfast, mostly because of DD1's fiber supplement. They drink one or two cups of milk a day. The rest of the time, they drink water, or herbal teas if I have the get-up-and-go to remember to brew them. I'm not nuts about the no-sugar thing-- they'll drink stuff like punch or soda if it's offered at a party, or something, and I make lemonade sometimes, but water is our main beverage.

If I was going to take out dairy, I'd make sure there were other non-beverage sources of fat, protein, minerals, and fat-soluble vitamins. Then I'd stop worrying, and offer water, and sometimes some herbal tea for a treat. For fun, sometimes, you can fancy up the water with slices of lime, or a little splash of juice, and stuff like that.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#24 of 49 Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM

My girls are 4 and 7, and they drink: mostly water, a cup (usually) of milk per day, juice rarely, smoothies, and occasionally herbal teas.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#25 of 49 Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 AM

In our house, milk is only with cereal and dinner (almond for ds1, cow for everyone else), juice and ice tea are treats or after hard work and water for the rest.  I don't consider smoothies a drink really, more of a meal or an addition to a meal. 

Mama of three.

#26 of 49 Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 AM

The watered down juice boxes are Honest Kids.  (Same people who make Honest Teas)  We do those, seltzer, and I make sun tea all the time.  Mint is hit and so is red zinger.

#27 of 49 Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 AM

Mine drink 99% of the time water. Occassoinaly they have rice milk or skim milk. They NEVER get soda, period. Every now and then they have UNsweetened tea (decaffinated) or some juice. We prefer the Vfusion that is reduced sugar and we water it down alot! They might have an apple juice box if we are out and in a pinch. We dont get koolaid or capri suns or anything like that at the store for them, I dont think they have ever had it. I personally think those things are gross anyways (nor did I grow up drinking them) They are happy with water, and I am glad.

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#28 of 49 Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM

water

milk

V8 juice drinks

lemonade

cold unsweetened tea

yogurt drinks or smoothies

hot chocolate

occasionally soda pop- usually without caffeine

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#29 of 49 Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Water most of the time.  SIL usually asks us to bring drinks for family gatherings so then I take Honest Kids or Apple and Eve juice for the kids and tea or lemonade for the adults.  When we go out to eat the kids can get tea or lemonade. 

I also recently discovered Hint water.  It's awesome.  It's expensive though, so I don't buy it to keep at the house.  Although, you can make it yourself.  Just put some sliced fruit in your water jug and store it in the fridge.  I haven't tried it yet, I keep forgetting. 

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#30 of 49 Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 AM

I don't understand buying deliberately watered-down juice. (Unless of course they're watering down the price, too.) I agree with watering juice-- I watered my kids' juice when they were toddlers and preschoolers, too. But to pay money to have somebody else water it means I'm getting less juice for my money, which is senseless when my water at home is nearly free. Why not just buy real juice, and water it yourself?

My DD1 does take juice boxes to school. I can't remember what the name of them is right now-- they are vegetable and fruit juice mixes. Going to go google it--

Fruitables. That's it.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

Tags
The Raw Truth About Milk

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page