Why is MSG bad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just cannot understand MSG and why it's bad. I think glutamic acid is important for our cells and I've heard via BBC that MSG goes into your body as sodium and the gluten digests as it should and there is nothing to worry about it. I know if you have a stroke or heart attack where blood flow is lost to cells they can reverse function and take in calcium then glutamic acid causing them to break down and die but I don't see how it's bad as it helps cells....

Thoughts on this? Resources? 

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#2 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

*bump*

Is MSG maybe a scapegoat or hype or something? :-/ 

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#3 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM

A nutrition instructor several years ago told our class that the man who invented MSG gave it to his dog and caused his dog's brain cells to explode and die.  I don't know how accurate that story is and I have no references..she was a little bit of a wacky teacher.

I do know that some people are allergic to MSG though.  My ex's dad had meniere's disease and if he ate MSG it caused it to flare and give him extreme vertigo.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#4 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM

MSG gives me a wicked headache whenever I eat it.  That's my personal reason for staying away from it, although I know a lot of people hate it for other reasons.  Their reasons don't matter to me as much as a blazing headache does.

#5 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

It gives me fairly instant horrid headaches as well, so something can't be right.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#6 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Some people have a bad reaction to it. It's never bothered me.

When I moved to Taiwan in the late 80's I was shocked to see some people had containers of it (味精 - wei jing)  by their cookers along side the oil, soy sauce, sugar & salt.

So, I think it's just another flavoring (or flavor enhancer) - too much isn't very good - like salt or sugar.

claddaghmom likes this.
#7 of 15 Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It's a horrible migraine trigger for me, I have to be very careful about reading all labels when we go shopping to avoid it in its many forms.  It took a very long time to get DH used to doing this, MSG doesn't bother him at all but a handful of Doritos would leave me in agony.  I've never read much beyond that, though there's a book on it I'm reading a few pages at a time whenever I'm at my chiro's office.  My DD1 is only 4.5 years old but she is already prone to migraines  guilty.gif so I avoid it for her too.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 15 Old 05-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post

*bump*

Is MSG maybe a scapegoat or hype or something? :-/ 

IMO, yes.

#9 of 15 Old 05-07-2011, 05:26 PM

My understanding of it is because MSG -- along with many other food additives -- is an excitotoxin, which damages nerve cells. 

#10 of 15 Old 05-07-2011, 05:40 PM

It's a migraine trigger for me, too.  It's almost instant - so I have no doubt it's doing something bad to my body right after I ingest it. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 15 Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM

If I eat food with any significant amount of added MSG, I have, how to say this delicately?....um, a "colon-cleansing event" within a half hour.

I wonder if this is a simple allergy, like my friend who has the same reaction if she eats mango (no one would say that is evidence of mango being "bad," just that some individuals have an allergy), or is it truly that MSG is bad for people? I would like to know more about it and also about the difference between naturally-occurring MSG in fresh foods like tomatoes and naturally fermented foods like cheese and soy sauce, versus chemically-produced MSG that is added to so many processed foods that would otherwise lack flavor. Are they truly the same, or does the molecule take another form when it is artificially produced, and is this other form bad for the health while the natural form is not? Or is it a difference in amount of MSG in fresh natural foods vs. processed foods that may be behind the problems some people experience? I get the feeling there is something fishy going on when manufacturers of processed foods claim that MSG is just fine for you because it is in tomatoes and parmesan cheese, after all! Also, if MSG is just fine, I wonder why it is hidden in foods under so many assumed names? I would like to know more about it but I have not come up with much solid information.

#12 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Because the MSG everyone is bad-talking is not the same thing as naturally occuring glutamic acid.  It is a relatively new (meaning only the last few decades) man made, synthetic additive that can wreak havoc on your body.  I too get migranes, virtigo, dizzy, very sick after having some in my food.  It can be a neurotoxin and excitotoxin.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#13 of 15 Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 PM

10 decades.... patented in 1909. I'd say if MSG bothers you, avoid it. If it doesn't bother you, ignore the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post

Because the MSG everyone is bad-talking is not the same thing as naturally occuring glutamic acid.  It is a relatively new (meaning only the last few decades) man made, synthetic additive that can wreak havoc on your body.  I too get migranes, virtigo, dizzy, very sick after having some in my food.  It can be a neurotoxin and excitotoxin.

#14 of 15 Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Hmmm.  I always thought it was bad.  It makes my mom sick when she eats it.  When I was a child I would get a raw tongue and mouth when I ate it, so I have always avoided it.

I generally avoid manufactured food additives.  I don't think they are good for the body -- they certainly are not food, as I define it.  I don't eat artificial flavorings or colorings or artificial preservatives.

I guess you could look at it from the other side -- what is MSG doing in your diet that is positive?  Is it providing something that your body really needs that it can't/isn't getting elsewhere.  For me, based on my knowledge and eating habits, the answer is no.

#15 of 15 Old 05-17-2011, 05:18 PM

MSG is naturally present in certain foods and using these foods has been present for centuries/thousands of years.  The present chemical processed form of MSG is poison imo. 

For a biased anti-MSG site check out http://www.msgtruth.org/  I'm sure there are a gazillion MSG is great sites to balance that one out. Sorry, I can't provide an unbiased site since I don't know of one.

MSG is also sprayed on crops now under the name AuxiGro. I came across this researched almond intolerances.  Almonds are apparently heavily sprayed with AuxiGro.   http://www.truthinlabeling.org/msgsprayed.html

My DD is heavily bothered by MSG and I avoid it like the plague for her. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page