Safe fish? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know where to get the most recent info on safe fish to eat? Not just mercury ratings, but overall contamination. I'm completely stumped anymore about what to buy. The only one I know for sure that is safe and eco-friendly is U.S. farmed trout, which I can't get where I live!

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

#2 of 6 Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Does this help?  http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_health.aspx

#3 of 6 Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yes it does, thanks!

SAHM to my beautiful, joyful, silent D (9/90) and exuberant, charismatic, not-so-silent S (11/07) and our precious little chickpea DD born 3/11 ,+7 animals. Partner to my lovely "M.O". Trying to live with intention.

#4 of 6 Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 PM

I've been researching this issue for my 1 year old twins, and I have to say that is not the best list I've seen with regard to the salmon issue.

My understanding is that there is a lot of concern that it may difficult to determine whether wild-caught salmon is actually "wild caught", that there is a fair amount of semi-wild salmon out there (started out in pens and ingested the greater amounts of PCBs and dioxins when young, then released and wild caught).  I also understand that not all wild-caught Alaskan salmon is recommended -- for example, some lists I've looked at do not recomend sockeye, even when wild-caught.

Right now, I would love to give my girls fish, but I have stopped doing so because I can't seem to be confident in what I'm giving them...

I'd love any further advice from someone in the know on this topic too!

#5 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Anyone figure it out? I have been avoiding it all together worrying about what we put in our bodies from the pollution and what not. Is it even worth it to eat them?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm curious what info says that Alaska salmon is not OK?  Here in Alaska, all the info I've seen says that wild salmon is just fine, and many folks (us included) eat sockeye and other types of salmon many times per week.  Salmon is a short-lived fish, which is part of why wild salmon does not generally accumulate mercury or other contaminants in significant amounts.  Among salmon, the shortest lived and least contaminated fish you can possibly find is pink salmon.  Usually you can find wild Alaska pink salmon canned (also cheaper than other kinds), and can use it the same way you would canned tuna (in sandwiches, etc...)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page