Squash Ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I picked my first yellow squash last night! joy.gif I was thinking about what new & exciting things I can make with them this summer. I usually just roast them with mixed veggies & herbs. I don't really like casserole type dishes where they get mushy. Any ideas or favorite squash recipes?
#2 of 11 Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Okay, I'm not going to be much help with recipes,  I just wanted to say I'm jealous that you harvested a squash in May!  Wow!

#3 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 AM

One of our favorites for yellow squash is happiness soup.

#4 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post

Okay, I'm not going to be much help with recipes,  I just wanted to say I'm jealous that you harvested a squash in May!  Wow!

LOL, well I live in Texas so I doubt you'll be at all jealous in a few weeks once our temperatures reach scorching!

I am totally going to try that soup. I love the story that goes with it too. Tumeric isn't something I normally cook with so I will have to grab some.
#5 of 11 Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 AM

well my mom makes it very simply, slice into think slices, saute in a skillet over high-ish heat (7 or 8) with some onions and/or garlic until browned to your liking (you mihgt need to cover it for a while to cook through). And my grandmother makes squash by cutting it into slices, cooking in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease, water, salt pepper and a little sugar, covering and simmering a while... like half an hour or so. This is delicious but not the healthiest thing ever lol. 

#6 of 11 Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For tender young summer squash, zucchini, pattypan squash, I like to cut them in half, brush them with olive oil and chopped basil and maybe a little salt and pepper and grill them. 

#7 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 05:55 AM

I dice them small and sautee them in a bit of butter so the edges are brown, then scramble eggs on top of it.  :)

#8 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Roast or grill with garlic, olice oil, herbs, and toss with some browned butter, toasted pinenuts, pasta, and parmigiano.

Stuff them - scoop out the center and chop the flesh with herbs, bread crumbs, anchovies (if you are not vegetarian), spoon it back in, top with parmigiano or more breadcrumbs, drizzle with oil and bake. If you want it to be heartier as a main dish, add rice in place of the breadcrumbs (you can also mix in some gound protein of your choice), and cover with a marinara souce before baking.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#9 of 11 Old 06-01-2011, 02:01 PM

I slice them in half inch chunks and quickly saute with olive oil in a screaming hot pan.  At the very end I sprinkle with season salt and pepper.  I usually do a mix of yellow squash and zucchini.  Sliced onions would be good with it too, but my DH hates onions.

I got some tiny little squash at the farmers market last week called courgettes (sp?) that I did this way and they were the best squash I'd ever had.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#10 of 11 Old 06-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

well my mom makes it very simply, slice into think slices, saute in a skillet over high-ish heat (7 or 8) with some onions and/or garlic until browned to your liking (you mihgt need to cover it for a while to cook through). And my grandmother makes squash by cutting it into slices, cooking in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease, water, salt pepper and a little sugar, covering and simmering a while... like half an hour or so. This is delicious but not the healthiest thing ever lol. 

This is how I most often make it, too.  We call it fried squash.

#11 of 11 Old 06-05-2011, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I usually grate summer squash and mix with eggs, farmer cheese, breadcrumbs, olive oil, and dill, then either fry in patties or bake in a pie.  A faster alternative is to slice, coat in flour or breadcrumbs, and fry in a generous amount of oil, then serve sprinkled with parm.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
Recipes , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page