Indian food cookbook or blog recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really need to start cooking more Indian food as I LOVE it and can't keep eating out for it.  I'd love some suggestions of good/authentic/flavorful cookbooks or blogs or websites for Indian food.  Oh, and we aren't vegetarian, so meat AND veggie focused resources are a plus.  

Thanks!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#2 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Ayurmama.blogspot.com

I have a lot of recipes. Def not all Indian but all made with Ayurvedic principles. Very traditional ones.

#3 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM

1000 Indian Recipes by Neelam Batra is awesome. It's huge, covers everything from homemade spice mixes to desserts with extensive sections on both meat and veggie dishes. I have a few Indian cookbooks and this is the one I have used the most, I like that she gives you lots of info on Indian cooking techniques and has a nice balance between tradition and modern adaptations so you can choose which way you want to go. I also like The Dance of Spices by Laxmi Hiremath, her tandoori marinade is the basis for the one I use with some minor tweaks of course LOL. 

#4 of 8 Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 PM

I've found some good recipes on Hooked on Heat

#5 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 AM

Authentic Indian cooking blog.  This is a great blog but personally I've had a hard time finding ingredients. 

http://ruchikacooks.com/

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#6 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent resources.  Thanks, mamas!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#7 of 8 Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM

I'm definitely going to check out those blogs...

I have a couple of cookbooks.  Anything by Madhur Jaffrey is good, I have "Spice Kitchen", it focuses on individual spices, explains what they're like and where they come from, and has feature recipes for each.  It's a little book, and was great when I was just getting started.

But my Indian cooking "bible" is Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking.  It's MASSIVE.  It has everything, including a ginormous glossary of spices, beans, techniques, EVERYTHING.  It has 4 different recipes for making your own garam masala.  It has... well, just everything!  Dals, rice, breads, soups, desserts, as well as all the curries.  Everything!

Except meat, of course lol... I've generally just used internet resources for meat curry recipes.  ;)  But my introduction to Indian food was through a vegetarian restaurant, so it actually still feels a little strange for me to use meat in Indian cooking!  I love butter chicken, and various chicken recipes, and have had some very yummy lamb and beef curries, but my staples, my fallbacks, my favourite recipes to make are all vegetarian.  I actually like it this way, since I don't eat enough veggies -- I'm very fussy and have some aversions.  But I'll eat almost ANYTHING if it's curried.  So I'll make a huge mixed vegetable charchari and throw in spinach and beet greens and broccoli and zucchini and other yucky stuff like that, and as long as there's some potatoes in there too (which I love), I'll eat it and love it lol... 

sharr610 likes this.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#8 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page