The "right" way to make beans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH claims I make dry beans the "wrong" way.  he says every time I make them he has digestion issues.  He wants me to make them the way MIL does, the "right" way.  DH also says there is a way to cook beans by which you actually trap in all the gases which would make them really hard to digest.  for what it's worth the kids and I never have an issue digesting the beans I make.  And DH does fine with canned beans, who knows how they are processed, and beans from restaurants also hard to say how they are prepared.

Here is how I make them:

Pick over and wash beans.

Soak overnight, at least 10 hours but usually more like 12 or 13.

cook on low in crock pot pretty much all day, until done.

or

Put in stock pot, cover with water, bring to boil.  reduce to low boil for several hours, adding water as needed, until done.

MIL's method:

Pick over and wash beans.

Put in stock pot, cover with water, bring to boil.  reduce to low boil for several hours, adding water as needed, until done.

or

cook in crock pot until done, not sure if on high or low or a combo.

so the only real difference is the soaking, and I prefer the stock pot as I don't have to watch it.  I thought soaking was to help eliminate some of the gases that can cause digestion issues.  soaking beans seem to have the opposite effect on DH.  

Any ideas...though about trying kombu but worried about it affecting the taste of the cooked beans, not interested in having everything have a seaweed flavor, though for some dished I can see that as a bonus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 AM

Beano --  Your dh might not be crazy - remember everyone's body is different.  The way my parents did it causes me gas now but did not as a kid.  It could be his body has changed, I truly think this is what happened in my case.  I have noticed if I do not rinse the beans after soaking but before cooking I get gassier.  One thing also that could be happening, your eating bean patterns different than his parents.  He might not be remembering the gas or the change in pattern itself is causing gas.  

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/legumes/NU00260

From the Mayo Clinic "Gas-free soak. In a stockpot, place 1 pound of beans in 10 or more cups of boiling water. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Then cover and set aside overnight. The next day 75 to 90 percent of the indigestible sugars that cause gas will have dissolved into the soaking water."

The can beans might have soaked long enough with cooking to eliminate gas. Beans from restruants are most likely canned.

#3 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 AM

From what I've read in the past, the soaking and discarding soaking water for new water when cooking is the method that's supposed to help with gas issues people have with beans.  Do you soak your beans in the fridge?  I'm not sure if that makes a difference but it might in case you don't.

I don't use kombu often, but haven't found it to really affect the beans flavor (especially as we usually go on to use them seasoned and with other foods).  Epazote is also used when cooking beans to help with the gas issues, so that's another option.

#4 of 5 Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM

With spices like cumin or with ginger or with onion / garlic

Or my fav - asoefetida!

These work great! No gas.

#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I agree with the using fresh water to cook with. I always dump out the 'soak' water and use fresh water to cook with. I also use cumin in most bean dishes in combination with either black pepper or Himalayan rock salt. Despite all this when ever my older sister eats beans she gets gas unless she takes Beano. But she doesn't eat beans as often as I do (I'm veggie and she eats meats). Best of luck.

be good family...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page