camping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Usually when we go camping there's decent food for meals, but everything in between is junk food.  I am completely stuck on portable make in advance snacky food or food you can roast on marshmallow sticks.  I can't get past fruit and if apples and pears are the only snack food I eat for 5 days I'm going to go insane.

obstruct livery vehicles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Chunks of salami are delicious roasted on sticks like a marshmallow. I'm a big toast fan, also handy when the bread is getting a bit past it's best

How about toffee apples, stick the apple on a stick and roast like a marshmallow till the skin starts to split. Then peel of the skin and roll in a little sugar, roast again till the sugar is caramalising.Wait for it too cool a little before eating. I haven't actually tried this but just packed all the ingredients as we're off in a couple of hours.

OK I'm not doing too well at getting away from the apples here.

There was a thread a couple of days ago on cooking pizza on a fire.

Olives, nuts, my husband likes the little jars of pickled muscles.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Beef jerky if you eat meat... nuts, granola, dried fruit, blueberries. Where are you camping? You might do some research and see if there are wild edibles you can enjoy. I know if Colorado wild raspberries and asparagus are fairly common in the mountains. 

Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Are you hiking in or are will you be camping near your vehicle? 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:59 AM

I've found that bean or grain salads last okay for the first few days of camping made in advance, so do hard-boiled eggs or deviled eggs.  A small jar of pickles (or other small jars of food) are good for simple snacks.  We often bring bean dip or hummus and tortilla chips for snacking.  Oranges, melon, and bananas travel okay for additional fruit options.  Pistachios are fun to toss the shells in the fire while eating.

Pineapple might be fun to roast over the fire (never tried it, just came to me). 

Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 PM

lurk.gif 

Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

Are you hiking in or are will you be camping near your vehicle? 

Camping near our.  No electric hookup though :(  I'm very sad about not being able to bring my coffee pot (Between DH and me we go through 1.5 pots a day minimum).

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 05-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Can you pop popcorn over a fire?  We're thinking of trying this when we go in a few weeks. Here are the snack things we are bringing.

Granola

Trail Mix

Split open a banana and put in chocolate chips, close back up and roast over fire.

Cut the core out of an apple and pour in some cinnamon (and sugar?)  wrap in foil and roast in a bed of coals.  (Sorry I'm stuck on fruit too!)

Do you have a gas/propane burner for cooking?  We have a little percolator and it makes the best camping coffee!

Married to DH 18 years when DS was born 9/06! : : : SAHM, Meow
Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Camping near our.  No electric hookup though :(  I'm very sad about not being able to bring my coffee pot (Between DH and me we go through 1.5 pots a day minimum).

When we camp, we just use an old-fashioned percolator over the fire.  At a minimum, you can boil water over fire and then use the Folger's coffee bags (like tea bags).  There is no way I could get dh to go camping if coffee were not part of the deal. ;)

However, if the end of your sentence is "Camping near our VEHICLE", then you could look into buying a power inverter for your car.  You can run your kitchen appliances off of it, but make sure the rating to enough for your coffee maker.  We have one and they come in handy, although we've never used it for camping.  Coffee over a fire is just... well, there's something special about it.

Not much to add to the snack ideas except peanut butter with crackers or vegetables.  We take trail mix, cheese, crackers, peanut butter and much of what others have mentioned.  Happy camping!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Thanks, that makes a difference, as far as limiting loads!  That fact that you don't have to carry everything in opens a world of possibilities.  Velochic is right about the percolator.  It's a worthwhile investment, if you ask me (although it doesn't cost that much).  Snack-wise I agree with the PPs about nuts, chocolate, high energy stuff that are normally "fattening" in the neighborhood but when you're camping it is good for your body!   Pre-made or over the fire popcorn works.  Peanut butter with pretzels is my fav.  Also, if you can stuff like dried cale or make it dehydrate it yourself with miso - that is a very satisfying salty snack.  Also, if you have an Asian store near you, they tend to sell a lot of seaweed and rice cracker snacks that are very good.  I say all this from personal experience of being in the woods where you tend to use more bodily energy than at home and if you're hiking around, you tend to sweat more.  Nothing wrong with replacing the salt (as well as water).

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 PM

I like to do dried fruit and nuts.  I usually bring a some high quality chocolate, but make sure it is located somewhere it won't melt. We also sometimes make our own granola and/or granola bars--you can find recipes online or outdoor stores like REI have several books on camping/back packing recipes.  They are healthier this way because many of the store bought brands are loaded with sugar and other preservatives and such.  As for coffee, I have used a french press, I also have a small coffee steeper thing (similar to a tea ball for loose leaf tea, but with a finer mesh and made of plastic) that I got at REI.  I can use my own coffee in it, but steep it like tea--works pretty well, especially for backpacking.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM

We just went camping this weekend (with a trailer though).  Our dinners were chili dogs, sandwiches and hamburgers.  Snacks were fruit, cheese, crackers, and hardboiled eggs.   We used a percolator for coffee as well.

You can make up foil packets before you go with fish or whatever other meat you want and just throw those on the fire.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If you have a food dehydrator (lots of folks have them for making jerky) you could dice up you're favorite fruits and veggies and make 'chips'. This used to be my favorite for camping snacks because I could get my daily servings of fruits and veggies in a light weight easy to pack manner. I also like to make oatmeal, flax 'power' bars with protein.

I don't drink coffee but am a huge yerba mate drinker and find having a tea kettle makes a huge difference. I use loose leaf tea and by tea sachets to put it in and boil up, I think you could find some that are fine enough to fill with coffee without getting grounds in the pot. There is probably some kind of commercial coffee in a filter bag out there...

Best of luck keeping you're bellies full and have fun out there! We're not going camping until memorial day weekend this year and since I have a baby I doubt I'll be camping as much as most years but nothing will keep from sleeping under the starts!

be good family...

Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM
g&a

Mini muffins, kefir and blueberries are some of our favs.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM

We usually take a big tub of chopped veggies - pea pods, carrots, celery, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, my homemade cashew 'ranch' dip, peanut butter and hummus.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Our snacks are:

Popcorn cooked over the fire every night - my boys love this!
raisins
apples
bananas
pretzels
tortilla chips
I go through at least one jar of pepperoncini every camping trip
my kids also like peanut butter on bread or crackers
nuts - peanuts, almonds or pistachios

we always make coffee and we have 2 different set-ups for electric free camping

1. we have a percolator that we can put over the fire but it's kind of a pain to clean
2. a teakettle for boiling the water then we prop a normal coffee pot filter holder containing the filter and grounds over the top of our big thermos. Just pour the boiling water over the grounds and it drains into the thermos. We use this method more that the percolator because we can make a lot more coffee at once this way.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM

On the coffee front-we have a plastic french press that is perfect for camping.  Makes a lot of coffee at one time.  We boil water in a pot, pour over grounds and wa-la, delicious coffee.  Another option (best for back-country camping but great for any kind really) is Starbucks micro ground coffee in little packets.  Pour the packet into a cup, add hot water and you're done.  The coffee is pretty good actually (I'm a coffee snob) and super easy.  I find you need more than one packet per cup but I like my coffee strong.  

For snacks, since you're car camping, are you bringing a cooler?  We pack hummus, cheese, olives, yogurt, marinated tofu for snacks.  Also a lot of the other items already mentioned by others.  

Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

On the coffee front, DH has this filter or there are mugs like these plenty of options to make coffee with no electricity.

I've just made a batch of flapjacks and peanut butter cookies for our trip next week.

With a cool box we find most things are OK for a couple of days, especially if your camp-site has facilities to re freeze the blocks for you.

User Tag List