Cooking on an AGA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have any good hints, tips for someone who is relatively new to cooking on an AGA? Any go-to books? Tips on making jelly and canning?

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 04:55 PM

I'm assuming it's gas?  No different than any other gas stove.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

I'm assuming it's gas?  No different than any other gas stove.

an aga is nothing like a gas stove at all!

the burners are always hot, the oven is always on, there is no flame, and very little control over the temperature!

op, what kind of aga? 2 door or 4? can you adjust the heat at all?

i have done huge amounts of canning in/on an aga. it is by far the easiest type of stove to can from!

what do you want to can?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Just drooling over the idea of having an AGA.  Ooooohhhh & Aaaaahhhhh!!  Gorgeous!   I'll just listen and live vicariously through you.  Thanks.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

I have a 2 oven oil-fired model. Very little heat adjustment.

I am interested in getting fruit to make my own preserves. I have NEVER canned before, but I want to learn. Should I start with fruit or something else?

And can I use my roasting pans to cook the stuff I want to can or should I get some other type of pan?

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 AM

are you wanting to cook the stuff to can in the oven? or on the cooktop?

i just use a big stock pot. 

the biggest adjustment i had to make on aga cooking was  learning to use part of a burner. when the hot one is too hot, and the warming one is not hot enough, i put my pan partially on the hot one, of course stirring and turning often. 

i have done most of my canning on an aga. i use the hotpack method, which is by far the easiest. a steam juicer like this is also incredible well suited  to an aga. i have used it for fruits, veggies, and even flowers! elderflower syrup is great! if you like smooth jelly, you can even use it to make juice to make jelly from. i do that with grapes, basically making jelly from grape juice!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen View Post

an aga is nothing like a gas stove at all!

the burners are always hot, the oven is always on, there is no flame, and very little control over the temperature!

op, what kind of aga? 2 door or 4? can you adjust the heat at all?

i have done huge amounts of canning in/on an aga. it is by far the easiest type of stove to can from!

what do you want to can?

I had one before I lived in this house.  I found it to be no different to can on than a regular gas stove other than my pressure canners came up to temp faster.  When canning, you have to watch carefully, anyway, and I didn't really do things any differently than I do now.

OP - if you've never canned, then there is nothing to compare it to and you'll be learning from scratch, anyway.  You cannot can in the oven.  You have to can on the stovetop.  Before beginning, I suggest a couple of books and perhaps a trip to your county's extension office for a tutorial.  Putting Food By and The Ball Blue Book are both excellent canning resources.  Happy canning!

User Tag List