Mmm, never need to go to Rubio's again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I love Rubio's fish tacos, so I made some chicken tacos in that style last night and they were SO GOOD!! (You could obviously do it with fish instead, but I had chicken on hand so I used that.) 

I cut the chicken into smallish finger-shaped pieces (mimicking a fish finger), dipped them into egg and then panko, and cooked them in a bit of olive oil. Then I put them into tortillas (corn for DH, flour for me) along with a little shredded cabbage, avocados, and a quick sauce I made from sour cream, chipotles in adobo, and lime juice. They were delicious -- so crunchy and smoky, and so cheap and quick to make! And since the kids aren't into tacos, I gave them the extra chicken pieces as nice homemade nuggets for dipping. They're definitely going into the regular rotation -- it was definitely the sauce that made them taste so good (for the two of us, I used about 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 minced chipotles plus 2 tsp of the adobo sauce, the juice of half a lime, and a little salt. Cilantro would be good in there too but I didn't have any). 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for this! I've been craving mexican lately and was running out of recipes!

"Our truest opinions are not the ones we have never changed, but those to which we have most often returned."-Diderot
Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 AM

yum!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Those sound really good!

I actually just read a recipe today for fish tacos & they suggested baking the fish in foil packets - I'd always cooked it on the stove.  To be honest, mine never really turned out great, so I'm going to try baking it next time!  They cut the fish into bite-size pieces, added aromatics/herbs, sealed in foil, & baked til done.  Then did the tortillas, cabbage, avocado, etc just like you did. eat.gif

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM

If you were calorie conscious I bet you could even do the chicken in the oven & they'd be good. I make chicken fingers for my kids by tossing little strips in honey mustard then panko & popping them in the oven for 10 min each side so I bet a similar application would work for a crispy taco chicken.

User Tag List