No one feels like cooking but the family needs dinner! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you do when you just aren't feeling enthusiastic about being in the kitchen, it's 5:15, and you have no dinner plans?

Where we live, there is no delivery, there are a few take-out options but we'd like to avoid that today (because we'll probably go out to dinner tomorrow), I have no leftovers in the fridge, no meat thawed, we're out of dried beans (which is a great quick go-to food with a pressure cooker!), and I don't want pasta (which is a common quickie dinner here). Ugh. Maybe I'll go with breakfast for dinner and make pancakes. I could probably thaw some sausage quick enough. I have a few potatoes--maybe I'll make a potato frittata. (We always have PLENTY of eggs! Yay chickens!) What are your favorite quick dinners?

#2 of 14 Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM

Breakfast, pasta, tacos (today, it's fish tacos). These are the things I always have the stuff on hand for.

Lucky SAHM to wonderful twin girls (9/09)
#3 of 14 Old 06-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Last night I made a frittata with red bell pepper, onion, asparagus & grape tomatoes from our garden. Most of the time we just make sandwiches or some sort of eggs or burritos or quesadillas (I almost always keep canned refried beans & cheese on hand). If I happen to have a nice cheese we might have a fruit & cheese tray with bread or crackers.
#4 of 14 Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Well, this is me on most nights, so quick and easy is the standard. Some lat-minute meals are:

Fish tacos
Omlette
Broiled/grilled fish with boiled veggies
Any kind of pasta dish

If DH is around, I would even consider a tuna sandwich or bowl of cereal for dinner...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#5 of 14 Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 AM

Breakfast for supper, which is usually eggs or pancakes last minute.

Tacos or quesadillas.

If we're lucky, a main dish sald--taco, grilled/sauteed chicken with mandarin oranges and crunchy ramen, or tuna tossed in a green salad.

#6 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

Sandwiches and fruit.

Where we live there are no restaurants, no takeout and the store closes at 7 on weekdays. That is OK because most people do big lunch/small dinner and then eat meat and cheese on bread with fruit or salad for dinner. 

#7 of 14 Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM

If just me and dd, I'll go with egg sandwiches or cheesy omlettes (with potato something if we have it), sometimes just fruit & yogurt.  Dd will be fine with some cut up fruit/veg and cheese with a piece of bread as a meal.

If dh too:

I have a few soups I can make with a frozen bag of peas or corn that don't need too much more, and everyone seems to like, so those work too, usually with grilled cheese.

Quesadillas, sometimes just chips & salsa (for me anyway).  We'll also sometimes make fancy nachos (with canned beans & any veggies that make sense) or homemade chili fries (with oven potatoes and can chili or homemade if we have any left).

#8 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 02:57 PM

Eggs usually: egg burritos, german pancakes, waffles, regular pancakes, eggs and toast, frittata, eggs and rice.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#9 of 14 Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Sandwiches and salad.

#10 of 14 Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Sandwiches, salad, smoothies, omelettes, leftovers.  If I have something for the crust, a "whatever is available" pizza.

#11 of 14 Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 AM

I do breakfast (usually just scrambled eggs & pancakes) or cheese quesadillas/grilled cheese sandwiches on these nights. If you have bacon, BLTs are quick & easy & goooood.
#12 of 14 Old 06-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Omlette-we have chickens too!  I personally love scrambled eggs over salad greens with Annie's Goddess dressing, and a glass of white wine.  Kids like scrambled eggs with cheese melted on top.

#13 of 14 Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 AM

A crust-less Quiche is easy, eggs cheese milk a little flour and cooked veggie of your choice (or frozen chopped spinach, thawed, is easy)salt and pepper. Very easy to mix up. Throw in a greased casserole and bake.

#14 of 14 Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Would anyone mind sharing their fish taco recipe?  We have eggs or oatmeal for dinner, in a crunch.  Thanks so much!  Ann

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page