kale chips/kale crackers? recipe help/ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made kale chips by tossing de-stemmed leaves (broken into smaller pieces) with canola (an oil I hate to use but didn't want to use the last of my coconut oil on an experiement!  don't think melted lard would have worked?!) and salt, garlic powder.  They went in a single layer on a baking sheet for 35ish min at 250 and were pretty tasty - light, crispy, and flavorful.

I was wondering if I could try doing something to get a similar crispness but... thicker than a dehydrated leaf lol.  Like a cracker, maybe?  Food processor to sort of puree the leaves, fat, and seasonings, and then spread it out on a baking sheet???  I may feel brave enough to try this but I always love to hear ideas or experiences.  oooh, maybe this way I could use lard!?

thanks in advance for ideas.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#2 of 7 Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Oh, I love the idea of kale chips!  The grocery stores don't carry many options for fresh greens where we live, but one of them does regularly stock kale (need to grow my own!) 

I haven't tried it, but it seems like if you puree the leaves to bake you'd need something carb-y to make it thicker.  I was wondering if pureeing sunflower seeds or other seed/nut with the kale and spices would thicken it up enough to make it more cracker-like.  Please let us know how it turns out! :)

#3 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Yum! I have made the chips with kale, olive oil, nutritional yeast and ground cashews. So good! I would love to make them thicker, they burn so easily you really have to watch the oven.

#4 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Also, our Whole Foods has kale chips in a bag. They are so delicious but really expensive, I hardly ever buy them.

#5 of 7 Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM

The only way I make them is coated with olive oil, apple cider vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. But, I only bake them at 300-325, for about 10 minutes, total. I've tried a couple recipes at higher heat and longer cooking times, and they just burn.

Mine are really thin, though!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM

I find that they turn out way better in a dehydrator.  You have to watch and make sure you don't over dehydrate them, though, or they crumble.

I would think that pureeing them and smooshing them out onto a pan, dehydrating or baking (very low heat), then maybe cutting them before they are all the way cool would work?

My fav. flavor to make is Emerald Sesame Kale Chips.....I put toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce or tamari, sesame seeds, minced fresh garlic and ginger in a bowl and mix well.  Then massage it into the kale leaves and dehydrate.  SO good!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#7 of 7 Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 PM

My recipe is 350 degrees for 11 minutes.  I tossed with olive oil then salt.  Yum.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page