Dehydrators--Plastics, Noise, Convenience, L'Equip? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been spending way too long trying to figure out which dehydrator to buy. Now our plums and cherries are starting to get ripe, and I need to figure this out! Besides dehydrating fruits, I'm excited to make crispy nuts, raw crackers, fruit leather, and kale chips.

I had almost talked myself into getting an Excalibur 9-tray (so I could make yoghurt and rise bread, too), but then I learned that the case is made from polycarbonate. Even though I understand it doesn't touch the food, I don't want BPA anywhere near my food--especially because I'm trying to get pregnant.

I was originally interested in the Nesco (American Harvest, etc.), but I don't like that they aren't at all forthcoming about their plastics. I found nothing about it on their web site. I've called the company twice and talked to two different people that told me that ABS is used, but couldn't tell me if it was food-grade ABS. One was going to have the owner or a manager call me back, but he never did.

So in the 11th hour here, I'm finding myself thinking I'll get one I didn't even consider all this time: the L'Equip. They describe the plastic they use on their web site--ABS trays, polypropylene mesh insert, PET fruit leather trays. Reviews seem to sound like it is quieter which is a very nice plus, and it looks like it would fit on my counter well, which is a plus, too, because I think I'll be using it a lot. And I like that it gives a nod to rectangles (they do have a hole in the middle). The fan at the bottom and the possible need to rotate trays (it gets mixed reviews there) concern me, but it sounds like folks do okay with that.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has a L'Equip about your experience with it.

Also would love to hear if anyone has anything to add about dehydrator plastics and noise.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#2 of 6 Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and ordered a L'Equip, so I'm not needing the feedback so much, but I'll leave this here in case it helps someone else.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#3 of 6 Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Sorry this is too late to help, but I highly recommend the Excalibur dehydrators.

• They use square trays that slide in/out of an oven-like box.
  • The drying is even (so no rotating trays)
  • All trays are fast & easy to check for progress, and to remove any pieces that are already dry.
  • They seem sturdy, efficient workhorses. Some even come with 10 year warranties.
  • Stainless trays are available, and the company has an excellent page on the pros/cons of plastic and stainless

I've used the stacking type, and the Excalibur beats them in every respect. It is more expensive but well worth it :)

Happily married, with DS 08.2010
#4 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM

I had the link to one that is like the excaliber but made out of stainless steel. I'd rather have that than plastic. But I don't have the link anymore since I decided I really didn't need one anyway.

#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Arduinna, the one I came across like that was called "the sausage maker" I think, something with sausage in the name, but it was out of my price range.

#6 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM

That sounds like the one. It wasn't cheap. (not implying the one you bought is, just that the other one was $$$)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page