organic junk fooder - help me break the cycle. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm a fanatic about eating organic foods. but my problem is that I eat tooooo much junk food. it's all organic but the sugar is killing me (and my partner as she is suffering from Candida). I am a nursing mama and kick myself when I think about the amount of sugar in my breast milk.  I am thinking of completely cleaning out the pantry and fridge this weekend and starting over. I would love any advice.  I do still eat protein and some veggies... but the refined foods are too much.

we want to create a sugar free house.  bake sweets with stevia.  and eliminate refined foods completely.  We live in a town where it is super easy to get whole, healthy foods.  but i would love advice from those who are on this path.

best, J

Ema to my dear son (inseminated at home with frozen donor sperm) born on 6/25/10. h20homebirth.gifnocirc.gif selectivevax.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif cd.gifWife to my dear partner.  rainbow1284.gif goorganic.jpg  hang.gif  sewmachine.gif   blogging.jpg.

#2 of 4 Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM

We are striving for this too :) Don't beat yourself up about! Cleaning out the kitchen sounds like a great idea- we had a perfect opportunity lately when we went on a 3 week trip and had to do it anyways. here's what i try to do to keep our house healthy:

-meal plan! scrambling at the last minute, you eat all sorts of weird stuff or get take out. Plan a week at a time, make a list, and go for it

-don't buy anything you wouldn't want your LO to eat. I don't mean like don't buy tofu because LO is not soy-ready or whatever, but if it's not healthy enough you'd be happy with her eating it keep it away

-cooking stuff from scratch is a great way to get those yummy carbs we all crave, and you can make it healthier than buying it. Start off replacing the white flour 50/50 if you are not used to whole wheat products, then gradually increase the amount of ww flour. No advice here on baking with stevia, as I never use it.

Good luck

#3 of 4 Old 06-15-2011, 01:03 PM

I do occassionally indulge, but I have cut waaaay back. I Big Puffy Pink HEART!!! Annie's Cheddar Bunnies and could eat a whole box all by myself. I had to quit buying them. shy.gif

Veggie Booty? LOVE it!!!

Newman's O's mint cookies? Be still my heart! heartbeat.gif

I replaced that stuff with nuts, dried fruits, fresh fruit, cheese and "good" crackers I try to keep some cut veggies around periodically, etc. and it has helped. A lot.

Like I said, I do indulge now and then, but since I don't have that kind of stuff in my house on an everyday basis anymore, it is much easier.

I do Feingold diet ( not so much artificial additives, preservatives, dyes) and today I am having a Subway veggie sandwich, Lay's potato chips ( another thing I LOVE, but do not keep in the house) and an oatmeal raisen cookie for lunch. The chips and cookie are a total treat. I don't have those often anymore. They are Feingold okay, but really my whole lunch is not so terrific. I am okay with that since I do not eat like this everyday.

I agree toss out ( or give away) all the foods you do not want to be eating now and replace them with something healthier.

Good luck to both of you! hug2.gif

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#4 of 4 Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Oh, goodness. I'm glad I found this thread. I need to do this. I am also an organic junk food junkie. It's still junk food, I have to remind myself. Or just because I lovingly made chocolate chip cookies from "whole" (not overly processed) ingredients and they're not Chips Ahoy, doesn't mean I can eat a half dozen in a row!! It's hard because I'm super hungry when I'm nursing. I've found, like the PP, if it's not around, I won't eat it. Difficult because DH loves junk. But I am trying to be good because I need to lose my belly fat! I'm loving raisins and almonds as a "sweet" snack, as well as plain greek yogurt with a touch of honey or maple syrup. I've even frozen the yogurt in popsicle makers to replace my ice cream.

Any other nursing moms have good tips for quick, go-to healthy snacks? I'm thinking about trying to make my own granola that isn't loaded with sugar and fat. I've heard that oats increase milk supply, so that might be good!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page