Want to make green tea ice cream, not from real matcha - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So in looking up recipes to make green tea ice cream, they pretty much all use a matcha green tea, not plain old green tea.  Matcha is a powdered form of green tea.  So my question is, can't I just grind up my loose green tea to a fine powder and use that?  I realize real matcha probably has special benefits, but I'd rather just use what I already have. 

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 PM

I would grind it up and add it to hot cream (coconut milk, cashew cream, cow-whatever you use) and let is sit for a few minutes.  Then I would pour it through a fine mesh strainer to get out any bits that might be too big.  You will obviously need to chill the liquid completely before freezing.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#3 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM

I would brew the tea, then sweeten it and use that as your flavor and sweetner (so you're making a green tea-simple syrup).  Then combine with water (for a sorbet) or some milk base and make in your ice cream maker.  It might be helpful to look around at coffee ice cream recipes - I know I've made an espresso flavored granita before and I'm kinda thinking about how that worked.

Matcha is probably going to end up with a stronger flavor and less bitterness.  Using the brewed tea it might be nice to add a touch of orange, lemon, or vanilla to compensate and make sure you're not brewing the tea too hot (to decrease bitterness). 

#4 of 6 Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

I would brew the tea, then sweeten it and use that as your flavor and sweetner (so you're making a green tea-simple syrup).  Then combine with water (for a sorbet) or some milk base and make in your ice cream maker.  It might be helpful to look around at coffee ice cream recipes - I know I've made an espresso flavored granita before and I'm kinda thinking about how that worked.

Matcha is probably going to end up with a stronger flavor and less bitterness.  Using the brewed tea it might be nice to add a touch of orange, lemon, or vanilla to compensate and make sure you're not brewing the tea too hot (to decrease bitterness). 

I also think it might work best if you steep the tea in the heated cream. I'm not sure that grinding the tea will work. Matcha kind of dissolves in liquids and I'm not sure that even finely ground tea leaves will act the same way. It's a pure guess on my part, though, since I haven't tried it. 

I hope you report back to let us know how it worked out, whatever way you try. 

#5 of 6 Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses!  Not sure yet which technique I will try, but I look forward to the experiment.  In-laws coming tomorrow, and they're NOT food adventurous, so it will be a bit before I get around to it.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#6 of 6 Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would just steep the tea in the milk.  And I would use a lot of tea leaves.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page