Whole Grain flour- do you have a bread machine recipe? or other use? It is so bitter and gross! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought some bulk local whole grain flour and tried to use it in my bread machine. I couldn't find an actual recipe using whole grain flour so I followed one for whole wheat and if I remember correctly I used part white flour. It came out short, dense and very very bitter, as well as partly raw I think on the whole wheat setting because there's no WG one. It was disgustinggrossedout.gif.

I didn't even keep it to feed the birds.

I can't seem to find a recipe, I don't know if it was bitter because it was raw or if it will always be so bitter?

If anybody has a bread machine recipe that would be great, or even another use because I am scared to waste more ingredients and time making something else like pancakes.

All the "whole grain" bread recipes I find online suggest things like actual cereals and grains added to different flours but never actual "whole grain" flour.

ty!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 AM

What kind of grain? Is it whole wheat flour or a combination of grains or something else?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

It isn't whole wheat, it's a mixed grain, I think at least 12 grain, all local to Alberta if that helps! It looks a bit like the whole wheat flour I have but not the same for sure.

When I bought it I assumed it would just get tossed in the bread machine like regular flour because of the texture and I see "whole grain" bread all the time innocent.gif

Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM

I would just experiment with a few whole wheat recipes. I wouldn't sub part white flour if the recipe calls for whole wheat. If you know your yeast is good, add a bit more sweetness to combat the bitterness. Add raisins or honey or something. It's not a bread machine recipe, but here is our favorite whole wheat bread recipe (super easy!).

Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM

I'll have to look up my recipe tonight for you... but I have to say that using the right kind of ww flour can make a big difference. I'm a big fan of King Arthur.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM

If it is "wholegrain" (non all wheat) then you probably are not going to get great bread machine results without adding quite a lot of wheat gluten.

User Tag List