Gall Bladder Attack - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday, I had a gall bladder attack and found I have several large stones. Before I go the surgery route, I would like to see if I can control it with diet. Has anyone done this? Looking for any websites or other resources. Thanks!
Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM

Did you doctor have any input at all? I wonder if some of the members who frequent Health & Healing might offer more help.
#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
2xy

I think gallstones can be prevented with diet, but not cured by diet. I may be totally wrong.

#4 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM

I do think there have been helpful threads in health & healing.

I have also found this site helpful.  

I have not had gallstone issues verified (haven't been able to get in for an u/s but have talked about doing so with my doctor), but I have suspected some kind of issue in myself.  I have found the adjustments I've made in diet, etc. to really help.  Depending on the severity, surgery is very helpful for many (but I understand not wanting to jump toward that if you don't want to).

#5 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I saw the er dr on Sat who told me some stuff but I was under the influence of pain meds and don't remember much:) I go to see my dr this afternoon. From my very rudimentary understanding of gall stones, they hurt when they become inflammed. Usually caused by certain types of foods, overeating, etc. Many people live with them and don't even know they have them. You can also get stones even if you have your gall bladder taken out if you don't overhaul your diet (this happened to my dad)  I have been moving my diet in this general direction anyway so if I can not have any more attacks by fully committing, it would be well worth it for me. I am not against surgery if that is what will make me stop feeling like I have been but if it can be done another way, I would like to try that first. @mumkimum- That was one of the first sites I've found and it seems to make sense to me. There is so much conflicting advice out there! I will go and look in health and healing. Thanks for your help!

Katie

#6 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM

I was diagnosed with gallstones seven years ago while I was pregnant. For awhile after my daughter was born, the pain got really, really bad sometimes, and I was discussing surgery. Then I decided to cut dairy and eggs out of my diet (I was already vegetarian), and I went from being incapacitated with pain 3-4 nights a week to occasional flare ups every few months that I can always trace to overindulgence in fried foods or coconut milk or oil. It's worked for me for 5 years now.

#7 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

So far, so good with the diet! Cutting out meat, dairy, etc seems to be doing the trick for now at least. I have had some discomfort if I've eaten something I shouldn't but nothing I would classify as pain. Overall, I feel great and look great! The fear of excrutiating pain is the best motivator I've found for healthy eating! Thanks for the support:)

Katie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page