Milk- Good or Bad??? What do I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 14 month old daughter who has been drinking organic whole milk since her first birthday.  After reading a little, I"m not sure if milk is all that good!  I did the organic trying to avoid any antibiotics or hormones in regular milk, but after reading it sounds like the organic milk is just as bad!  Ugh!  Is there anything else I can give her (she lOVES her milk!) that would give her good nutrients and calcium, but not the added yucky junk???  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Green leafy vegetables

#3 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 AM

Our kids get all their nutrients from food (and the baby still nurses). I made kale chips yesterday, and my dd ate almost an entire bunch of kale in one sitting. Lots of nutrients and calcium in there!

#4 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 PM

I do a lot of smoothies with LO. You can use vegan milks, like soy, coconut and almond but they all have their own pitfalls. I think Coconut is the safest of those. DS loves smoothies with whatever milk we have on hand, a dollop of yogurt, spinach/kale/etc, a carrot and a bunch of blueberries or strawberries. You could easily make this without any milk and just water, fruit and veggies

#5 of 8 Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you do milk go raw.

But my allergist said he would be out of a job if people stopped giving their kids milk.  That said a lot to me.  

At best it is unneeded.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 8 Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 AM

I believe raw milk is a healthy food (not beverage) for children. If conventional was my only option, we wouldn't do milk at all for our boys.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#7 of 8 Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Are you still  nursing?  I do consider milk an extreamly easy, nutrient dense way to get fats, proteins, calories and vitamins into young kids.   The AAP recommends a full fat milk source for kids under two simply because it is such a very easy fat source for kids who still are growing their brains so quickly.  If you are nursing, though, you can simply do that and skip other types of milk entirely.

Good luck with your decision.

#8 of 8 Old 07-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here is some excellent info on raw milk, I would certainly recommend it.  I would actually recommend raw Goats milk over cows.  It is more nutrient dense than cows.  Raw milk is SO much healthier than pasturized because it has so many more nutrients, and the bad thing about most organic milk is that it is ULTRA pasturized, which destroys almost EVERYTHING beneficial that is in it.  Store bought milk, even organic, is also homogenized, which makes it even worse for you.  If I could not get raw milk, I would not drink it at all.  Store bought milk is also stored in plastic(even the "paper" cartons are lined with plastic, which leaches chemicals into the milk).

Here is some info on raw milk.  http://nourishedkitchen.com/mark-mcafee-raw-milk-interview/ 

It talks about cows milk, but the same applies to goats milk.  Goats milk is also the closest milk to human milk.  I have a friend who adds some cod liver oil or fish oil (Carlson Labs brand) and also some organic molasses and vitamin A(I dont worry about this because I give DD organic carrots every day.  I shred them and chop up some spinach into small pieces and mix it into homemade applesauce with cinnamon) to her daughters goats milk every day for added nutrients.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page