Portable breakfast options? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is headed to day camp for the first time! DH (her daddy) works at a summer camp, and she is now old enough to go with him!

The question is, what can I send them off with for a nourishing breakfast that's portable? My DD is almost 3, so she does make a mess while eating in the car, but she is not likely to be awake enough to eat at home beforehand.

The good news is that they have no food restrictions (I'm GF, but they don't have to be), and we do like to stay on the TF side of the spectrum, but I'm open.

I have a sandwich maker that I can make omelets that are portable, but what else? TIA!!!!

Come ponder with me about food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 PM

homemade granola bars with nuts

SAHM(38)married to my best friend(42) DS(18) & DS(14) homeschool.gif forever missing angel2.gifAidan(41wks - prolapsed cord 9/7/99) angel3.gifCordelia(14 wks 4/9/11) and trying to conceive a rainbow1284.gifbaby

Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi,

Here are some suggestions. I tend to focus on easy foods that do not require cooking.

* Cheese & nuts

* Apple slices (or other fruit) & and a slice of bread & butter (already buttered)

* Apple slices (or other fruit) & a rice cake w/ butter

* Portable cold cereal (like Cheerios or Oatmeal Squares)  to eat by hand and a container of milk or soy milk (in sippy cup or w/ straw)

*Hard boiled eggs (already peeled) & nuts or bread

* Baguette sandwich - fill in w/ whatever they like to eat (jam? nut butter? raw veggies? meat? cheese?)

I would suggest experimenting with waking her up in time to eat a proper breakfast at home. I think it's a healthy habit to get children into. My kids are in their teens now, but started going to early morning preschool at 2 and 3. I usually had them up around 6am and fed before we left the house at 7am.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 PM

breakfast sandwiches on mini bagels or bread

bagels and cream cheese/peanut butter with fruit slices (probably a little messy)

apples and peanut butter

homemade granola bars

smoothies with yogurt or kefir, tofu for protein, fruit, and (optional) rolled oats (it is good!)

my mom used to make us thin hot cereal (usually oatmeal) and we would eat it in mugs at the beginning of long road trips, and we loved it,possibly too messy for dd but good for DH

User Tag List