Quinoa-- recipes and uses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family is new to eating quinoa. Can you help us come up with delicious ways to incorporate it into our diet? Thank you!

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This Lemon Scented Quinoa is DH's favourite. It takes a tiny bit more work than just boiling it (half-way through the cooking, you transfer it to a sieve and steam it) but it always turns out fluffy and delicious.

We also like a quinoa salad - cook and chill the quinoa and then just mix in chopped veggies (red onion, bell peppers, cucumber, halved cherry tomato, peas, chickpeas, carrot, celery, olives, feta,....whatever is in your refrigerator) and toss with a vinaigrette - balsamic or dijon-honey or whatever you like.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions, olly! We will try it! Now, here is a basic question... how exactly do you cook quinoa? I think I remember it said to use "1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid, then boil 10-15 minutes w/ a tight fitting lid"on the bulk dispenser I bought it from, but I can't be remember for sure. Does that sound right?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Yes, I use a 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid ratio, and if I'm just cooking it in a pot, 15 minutes is about right. You'll see the grains are curly and they will be fairly tender when they are cooked.  

Quinoa needs to be well-rinsed or soaked to remove a bitter coating before cooking. I find that if I soak it, then the suggested amount of water in a recipe is often too much, and I have to pour off the extra at the end of cooking. The quinoa can be a little soggy then. So I usually put it in a sieve, submerge it and swirl it around in a bowl briefly and then rinse it a couple of times.

I don't know if that prep sounds like too much work, but I come from a family where it's sacrilege if you don't wash your rice until the water runs absolutely clear. That means swirling the rice forever and repeatedly rinsing it. In contrast, prepping and cooking quinoa seems easy-peasy.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

The prep doesn't sound too taxing to me. Similar to beans, but much easier. I'd much rather rinse and swirl quinoa than have to spend time standing over a bowl of beans, picking out the ugly misfits and rocks ;)

Old 07-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks i'll have to try the steaming method - never heard about that before.

Sometimes quinoa is advertised as pre-rinsed, but usually just the boxed varieties vs. what is sold in bulk.

I usually eat it one of these ways:

Porridge style w cream, pinch of salt, maybe som hemp seeds

Plain w just some butter and salt

Cooked w chopped onion or shallot, bacon, and garbanzos, with some fresh herbs, parsley, lemon added at the end

With pieces of meat and a simple curry sauce of coconut milk, nut butter, curry powder and other spices, dash of honey and salt - great for leftover roast chicken
Old 07-10-2011, 02:05 PM

I use it as half the rice in a veggie-and-rice casserole (like chicken and rice). Our favorite way is high-protein breakfast cereal: cook 1 cup steel-cut oatmeal in 3 cups of water and 1 cup milk, in separate an cook 1 cup quinoa as directed. Combine the two in a saucepan and add milk as needed to achieve consistency. In spice grinder grind 2 tbls sesame seeds and 2 tbls flax seeds or chia seeds. Combine with grains, and top with fruit (our favorite is apple), butter, etc.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm totally in love with quinoa lately. I put the well-rinsed quinoa in a pot with double the volume of water and salt, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 13 to 15 minutes.
My two favorite recipes are tabouleh made with quinoa (olive oil, lemon juice, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber and lots of parsley and mint) or a salad made with chopped mangoes, cilantro, chopped almonds and a vinaigrette made with curry powder and lemon juice.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

This Lemon Scented Quinoa is DH's favourite. It takes a tiny bit more work than just boiling it (half-way through the cooking, you transfer it to a sieve and steam it) but it always turns out fluffy and delicious.

I don't switch it to a sieve - I just let it cook almost-fully and then stir, put a towel over the top of the pot, turn off the heat, and let the pot sit on the warm burner (we have a glass cooktop) for another 10 min.  Nice and fluffy.

For rinsing, I roll the quinoa between my fingertips to rub off the coating.  I find this is more effective than just swirling around in lots of water changes.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

I don't switch it to a sieve - I just let it cook almost-fully and then stir, put a towel over the top of the pot, turn off the heat, and let the pot sit on the warm burner (we have a glass cooktop) for another 10 min.  Nice and fluffy.

For rinsing, I roll the quinoa between my fingertips to rub off the coating.  I find this is more effective than just swirling around in lots of water changes.

I'll try that, thanks for the tip  thumb.gif .

Old 07-16-2011, 03:20 PM

My favorite lazy dinner is quinoa salad!

Quinoa

Dried Cranberries

Sliced green onions

Slivered almonds

Dressing: Mix minced garlic, lemon zest and some red pepper flakes into olive oil

Toss it all together, and its done, easy, and yummy.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Gosh, I don't rinse the quinoa and it's fine. I put 2 parts water to one part quinoa, cover, bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes and serve.

I use it as a rice substitute. 

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Gosh, I don't rinse the quinoa and it's fine. I put 2 parts water to one part quinoa, cover, bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes and serve.

I use it as a rice substitute. 

I think there are a lot more pre-rinsed quinoas available now. Usually the package will state whether you need to rinse or not. And, I'll bet there are some who like or don't mind a little bitter flavour, so even the not-pre-rinsed stuff might be okay for them. 

Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I think there are a lot more pre-rinsed quinoas available now. Usually the package will state whether you need to rinse or not. And, I'll bet there are some who like or don't mind a little bitter flavour, so even the not-pre-rinsed stuff might be okay for them. 

That must be it since the one I get at Trader Joe's says nothing about pre-washing. However, this is good info if I change brands.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Have any of you tried red quinoa? It is SO delicious...very nutty flavor.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimsamom View Post

Have any of you tried red quinoa? It is SO delicious...very nutty flavor.

Yes, we like red quinoa too. I think it looks nice on a plate too, instead of the bland beige of white quinoa or couscous.  

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Most of the quinoa I've bought in the States seems to be pre-washed.  If, however, you get some that needs rinsing, the most tried-and-true method I've found for washing it is to dump it into the toe of an old (clean) nylon stocking, then wash in several changes of water until the water stops developing soapy bubbles. 

I've found you can replace rice with quinoa in nearly all recipes.  I do half-and-half brown rice and quinoa sometimes for variety.  Red quinoa is also great!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:00 PM

I like the red quinoa cooked and then add lots of lemon juice, some good olive oil and sea salt and then a generous portion of toasted sunflower seeds.  Very nice in summer!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM

I find that the brand matters to me. Bob's Red Mill quinoa can replace rice easily, while another brand I tried was too bitter.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

User Tag List