Should children be allowed to drink diet soda? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

This is a really great idea.  Where I live, the tap water isn't potable so it is easier to grab a can/bottle etc in so many situations.  I've switched to keeping tons of bottled water, lots of canned sparkling water and so on around. 

I'm not sure where you live, but we get S. Pellegrino by the case at Costco for quite a reasonable price.  I can't remember off the top of my head what the exact price is, but we drink about a bottle a day, and it's less than $1.  Certainly much less than people spend on soda pop.  Other than that, we do drink a lot of tap water (we filter it, but it has quite a nice flavor and is, of course, potable).  We keep small bottles of the S. Pellegrino (MUCH more expensive) to take on the go, but mostly we take filtered tap water when we go out.  I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live where the tap water isn't potable. 

#32 of 47 Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

I think aspartame and the other major artificial sweeteners are safe and healthier than HFCS or sugar, but there are other things in cola I wouldn't want my kids to have. 

You may want to do some research on aspartame if you are consuming it, it is one of the most toxic things in our food, and very dangerous for children. I would be happy to send you some links for more information.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#33 of 47 Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 AM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavismom View Post

You may want to do some research on aspartame if you are consuming it, it is one of the most toxic things in our food, and very dangerous for children. I would be happy to send you some links for more information.

I don't eat it because I don't like the taste, but I researched it since I was raised to believe it causes cancer, and came to the realization that it has been tested extensively and is known to be safe.

#34 of 47 Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm really not sure where you found information that aspartame is safe, because even the governments own studies on it show it isnt. Its an excitotoxin, which destroys brain cells (similar to MSG). I am really glad you dont drink it though! I agree it tastes awful smile.gif

Dr Russell Blaylock is a neurosurgeon who saw first hand the damage excitotoxins did to the human brain, and has done extensive research on it. You can find a lot of his writings and videos pretty easy on the internet. He has also exposed the monetary conflicts of interest the members of the panel that approved it for human consumption had. I think there is a documentary he is in available on NaturalNews.

It can be quite confusing at times to try and figure out what the heck IS ok to eat, you know? dizzy.gif

#35 of 47 Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavismom View Post

I'm really not sure where you found information that aspartame is safe, because even the governments own studies on it show it isnt. Its an excitotoxin, which destroys brain cells (similar to MSG). I am really glad you dont drink it though! I agree it tastes awful smile.gif

Dr Russell Blaylock is a neurosurgeon who saw first hand the damage excitotoxins did to the human brain, and has done extensive research on it. You can find a lot of his writings and videos pretty easy on the internet. He has also exposed the monetary conflicts of interest the members of the panel that approved it for human consumption had. I think there is a documentary he is in available on NaturalNews.

It can be quite confusing at times to try and figure out what the heck IS ok to eat, you know? dizzy.gif

It's not that confusing if you have a strong background in science. Actually, MSG and aspartame are both safe food additives. There is a strong scientific consensus on this. I can see how you would be confused if you are getting your information from NaturalNews, though. There aren't government studies that show that aspartame destroys brain cells. Glutamate, like aspartate, is an amino acid, which in high levels (caused by disease, not diet) can cause neurological damage. Both glutamate and aspartate are naturally occurring in many foods. HTH!

#36 of 47 Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM

I'd say no. A friend of mine gave her 6 week old on son soda and chocolate milk - broke my heart.

We don't keep it in the house and we never will. Water, milk and the occasional fruit/veg juice is all we give him to drink.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#37 of 47 Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Definitely no on the diet soda. My daughter has tried regular soda here and there, but she doesnt really like it. We do drink club soda with a little fruit juice in it, and she likes that. Its about 1 part juice to 3 or 4 parts club soda. In comparison regular soda is way sweeter and I dont think she likes it.

Aspartame gives me horrible migraines.

There are plenty of studies out there that link artificial sweeteners to negative health affects.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#38 of 47 Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Our family doesn't do soda. I don't ban it outright, we just have no use for it. DS drinks water, a few plant-based milks, and smoothies. I'd rather see a kid drinking regular soda than diet soda though. I'd take the sugar over the additives any day. That being said, I hate seeing very young children, (and sometimes babies!), drinking soda. You have a small window of opportunity to shape a child's nutritional habits and well-being, why bring soda and empty calories into the mix that soon?

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#39 of 47 Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:

It's not that confusing if you have a strong background in science. Actually, MSG and aspartame are both safe food additives. There is a strong scientific consensus on this. I can see how you would be confused if you are getting your information from NaturalNews, though. There aren't government studies that show that aspartame destroys brain cells. Glutamate, like aspartate, is an amino acid, which in high levels (caused by disease, not diet) can cause neurological damage. Both glutamate and aspartate are naturally occurring in many foods. HTH!

Well no, that does not help actually. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about me to support your opinion. But I am done with this, because it is certaintly not my job to convince you that aspartame is dangerous, its my job to keep myself and my family safe and healthy.

I wish health and happiness to you and your family as well.  

#40 of 47 Old 07-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:

I don't eat it because I don't like the taste, but I researched it since I was raised to believe it causes cancer, and came to the realization that it has been tested extensively and is known to be safe.

I am very curious what "research" has proven aspartame "safe" as well. The FDA lists 92 side effects and the majority of the food complaints they investigate per year are related to Aspartame.

#41 of 47 Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

Yeah, you've got two separate problems here.  The rewarding a tantrum problem, and the aspartame problem.  For the tantrum, would your DH realize he is rewarding it if you pointed it out to him?  For the aspartame, just buy regular pop and that is no longer possible.

Tjej

yeahthat.gif For sure. I would never allow DD (age 8) to drink Diet anything! I give her regular soda very occasionally.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#42 of 47 Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

OP, I certainly would not let any kid have soda at all, and yes the Aspartame is way worse than the sugar, probably worse than HFCS too, though that is a close one.  Here is a video for you to watch   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzDHGLEUyw&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1   it mentions aspartame and also talks a little about the corn that is in the HFCS.  For more info on that corn here is another video http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food 

#43 of 47 Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Nope, not regular not diet. The ONLY exception for us is ginger ale for treatment of car sickness if necessary.

Soda is 100% junk food regardless of diet/regular and why on EARTH would I want to get my kids into that habit?

Here it's water, milk or fortified OJ (my son doesn't drink any milk) and the very occasional lemon aide in the summer. Period. Even at parties my kids aren't even tempted, don't ask. They can have juice on occasions like that, but that's it.

#44 of 47 Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephbrownthinks View Post

I am very curious what "research" has proven aspartame "safe" as well. The FDA lists 92 side effects and the majority of the food complaints they investigate per year are related to Aspartame.

I would love to see where you foung that on the FDA's website. The most recent FDA statement about aspartame, available online, says, "Aspartame was first approved in the United States in 1981 and is one of the most widely used artificial sweeteners. When metabolized by the body, aspartame is broken down into two common amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and a third substance, methanol. These three substances are available in similar or greater amounts from eating common foods." and concludes, "Considering results from the large number of studies on aspartame's safety, including five previously conducted negative chronic carcinogenicity studies, a recently reported large epidemiology study with negative associations between the use of aspartame and the occurrence of tumors, and negative findings from a series of three transgenic mouse assays, FDA finds no reason to alter its previous conclusion that aspartame is safe as a general purpose sweetener in food."

#45 of 47 Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Absolutely no artificial sweeteners is our rule. I consider artificial sweeteners to be poison and I would be furious if ANYONE gave it to my child. Everybody that knows me knows exactly how I feel about it and why. DH will still occasionally drink diet soda when out. He is an adult and can make that decision for himself. As long as he doesn't offer it to the children or bring it into the house, it's fine.

I have severe migraines if I even take the tiniest sip or bite of anything containing artificial sweeteners. I'm not about to take the chance that my kids might have the same reaction.

ghannit likes this.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#46 of 47 Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM

My son's pediatrician almost had a stroke when I told her I had been drinking Diet Coke (in a moment of weakness when I was thinking, how am I gaining weight while breastfeeding?!).  I'm to stay away from aspartame one hundred percent of the time.  :)

DS is an infant still, but he won't be drinking diet anything.  It's not allowed in our house.

ghannit likes this.

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#47 of 47 Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM

No.  I believe diet is much worse than regular, which I also do not think is appropriate all the time.  However, I have found what parents do with their children as far as nutrition habits are not within my control.  But if I were in your situation I would talk to your DH about the why and research behind your decision for your own children.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page