Let's talk juice: why do -or don't- you give it to your child? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#31 of 43 Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We don't have juice or drink it out except for very special occasions. The vast majority of juice is pretty much straight fructose and does not have the fiber and dense nutrients of whole fruits and veggies, plus you are drinking the fructose of several pieces of fruit in just one glass. You might as well drink a sugary soda. Both wreak havoc on your blood sugar and your body.

We went on vacation with DH's family recently; and, not being big produce-people, his sister bought several individually packaged juices (I think that V8 juice w/ the fruit and veggies together?). She was convinced that the stuff was just as good as a piece of fruit, because after all it says "provides 2 servings of fruits and veggies" on the package. eyesroll.gif When she asked me why DD couldn't have any, I explained to her that it was void of fiber, and without it, we are drinking straight sugar. She insisted that there was fiber, looked at the nutrition facts, and was stunned. (I HATE misleading packaging, BTW) But then this is the woman who didn't allow her preschooler to have milk before bed because of milk-rot, but juice was ok. 

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#32 of 43 Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 PM

In the country I am living in right now, its almost impossible to avoid juice, BUT juice as they make it here is fruit and water blended together so that at least you get all the fiber and nutrients.  At home we make it without sugar but if we are out there tends to be sugar added, but you can usually ask them to leave it out as it is almost always freshly made. 

But I still worry that it's a lot of sugar, even with the fiber from the whole fruit you probably drink more fruit than you would if you eat the fruit--I think the chewing slows you down or something.  So I try to limit it to one juice a day two in hot weather.  My in laws think I'm crazy since people drink juice here with every meal and often for a midmorning and afternoon snack!

#33 of 43 Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 AM

I give my kids juice as they would just not drink water and dehydrate. I would love to know how to get them to change.
#34 of 43 Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM

My kids are teenagers and I didn't give them juice when they were little.  As a result, they now reach for water when they're thirsty, and consider juice a "snack."  Sometimes my son (15) goes on an OJ binge and drinks half the carton, and my daughter likes tea and Sierra Mist (LOL), but I'd say about 95% of the time they drink water, as do I.

#35 of 43 Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Quote:
I would love to know how to get them to change.

have you tried to add to water? juice cubes (start with a 50-50 mix), cubes of fruit into mineral / carbonated water (you can do your own) - edible flowers, leaves (mints), lemons-limes-oranges

maybe do "teas" - many things are good for you - raspberry leaf, green ---- just a few thoughts

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#36 of 43 Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

have you tried to add to water? juice cubes (start with a 50-50 mix), cubes of fruit into mineral / carbonated water (you can do your own) - edible flowers, leaves (mints), lemons-limes-oranges

maybe do "teas" - many things are good for you - raspberry leaf, green ---- just a few thoughts

I do give my kids nettles infusions so that is good atleast.

I used to dilute the juice but my dd tried non diluted juice one day and now knows when it is and only will drink it straight. When I used to give my dd water before the juice days, she would get super dehydrated to the point to dry skin and cracked bleeding lips. Then I tried juice... and the rest is history.

Oh and can I give my kids green tea? I have been making green tea iced with peppermint and a tiny bit of maple syrup. I love it on these super hot summer days but I wasn't sure if there was a limit of how much kids could drink.
#37 of 43 Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

I give tea but that is me

I would sooner give tea over store bought juice any day!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#38 of 43 Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 AM

Koalamom:  What would happen if you just didn't have juice in the house?  For me, that's what I have to do with sweets (for myself), because otherwise I demolish them.  If you worry that your kids are drinking too much juice, maybe have a rule that they have to drink a small amount of water before they get juice?  I used to work at a summer camp that had pitchers of both juice and water at the table at lunch.  The deal was all kids at the table had to drink a glass of water before anybody got a glass of juice.  It worked pretty well.  It is hard to break anyone of a habit, though...I know!  Some folks say if you get your kids involved in making whatever they will eat or drink it helps, too, but I imagine you knew that!

I had insulin-dependent GD when pregnant with DS2 and learned quickly how juice hits your bloodstream and how many carbs are in it.  That said, juice is not the worst thing in the world...moderation is important...let's keep it in perspective.

It drives my MIL kind of nuts that we won't let DS2 (16 months) have juice.  Or popsicles.  Or suckers.  I try to remember that we are just raising our son way differently than she did hers.  Information changes with generations.  I wonder what we are all doing now that our future daughters-in-law will think is insane!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#39 of 43 Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We also tend to do fruit smoothies a lot as snacks.  For thirst quenching, we go to water.  Occasionally as a treat at home, we drink herbal tea with honey or homemade lemonade that does have some sugar added.  My kids do often drink undiluted juice when we are at social gatherings/out for dinner. When the grownups are having beer or wine and the other kids are having pop, juice seems like an acceptable treat.  They aren't used to the sweetness of  it and don't drink much.  I've never noticed any behavior changes or digestive issues when they do indulge.

#40 of 43 Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 AM

I am going to try "forgetting to buy juice, oops!"
And then makes lots of iced green tea and nettles so there will be options.
#41 of 43 Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have found that in children who have had lots of sweet things including store bought juice, they will not drink much water, so I think it is really something that you have to work with from the beginning, and not ever give them much sweet stuff.  I always make sure to offer DD water even if she is not asking for it because most of the time she will drink it.  I also sometimes squeeze some fresh lemon into it and she loves that.

Be careful only to buy good high quality green tea, because the cheap Lipton stuff is made from old green tea leaves that have high levels of flouride in them, which can be toxic if you drink too much of it.  The quality stuff is made of young leaves that have low levels.

Good luck

#42 of 43 Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM

@Koalamom - When we were "undoing" our juice habit in our house last year, we started with minimizing. We used to get 4 juices at a time (per week), and we switched to 1 juice at a time. And to make that one juice last longer, we added water. First a little, then a lot, til 50/50. Then we switched to water with mint and/or essences (inspired by a water my friend once gave me called metromint.... very good, though we don't actually buy bottled water because of the bottles!). Anyway, essences of cocoa and mint was my fav, and raspberry was DS's fav. It was an easy way to get used to drinking water, and it still had some sweetness (though not the overwhelming amount that juice does!). I now drink (and LOVE) plain water, as does DS, but DH is his own lost ship... lol... I just tell him to keep the junk in his work locker. DS now thinks that water with essences and smoothies ARE juice. thumb.gif

I agree with 1love4ever about the green tea; if you go that route you want a high-quality and lightly sweetened tea... I think the Lipton type commercialized green tea has MORE sugar than juice (I know this because DH drinks it...)!

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#43 of 43 Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I started this thread 3 years ago and am dredging it up to make an important point:

I so fully regret having started my boy on juice! He's 4 now and I have always (well since I started this thread and then ascertained it was harmless to let him drink juice) given him very diluted juice...we're talking like 1:8 or 1:10 juice : water. And, he now has a HUGE cavity! We were at the dentist today and he'll get it filled next week, which I am dreading. The dentist told me juice is the #1 cause of cavities in kids and it's a bad habit and cut it out. DS eats very little sugar, we are fastidious about tooth brushing and his teeth are otherwise in great shape. Of course there's no telling if this one cavity came from juice or what, but now that I have to wean him off juice, I wish I had never gotten him hooked in the first place!

Word to the wise: skip the juice! Water is healthier on so many levels.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
cavities , juice

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page