need minimally packaged ideas for snacks for 1 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the past few months, I've been giving my daughter puffed organic kamut as a finger food snack.  It's basically like puffed rice, but a little more nutritious (I think wink1.gif)  I wasn't specifically seeking "kamut" when I found it - just something that was sugar free, organic, kind of melted on the tongue since my LO still only has 1/2 of her two lower teeth, and finally, had minimal packaging.

Since I've become a SAHM I've made a lot of changes, one of which was trying to cut back in any way possible on packaging.  I've started bringing jars to my local co-op to buy a lot of bulk things - even detergent and soaps.  I started making our own bread and switched to unpaper towels etc...

My sister in law has been giving their son the Plum Organics puffs, but I'm really not a fan of the hard plastic packaging.  Plus, there's probably 10 of those little plastic cans of the Plum Organics puffs in my single bag of puffed Kamut, and they cost about the same. 

Getting to the point.... nut.gif  I think my daughter is getting sick of the puffs.  She doesn't even necessarily eat them everyday, but they were great to keep in my purse if we're out and about or to toss on her high chair tray while I scurry to get her actual meal together. 

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of baby led weaning - I'm not judging and hope not to be judged, it's just a personal choice based on having a friend who had their child choke and turn blue.  I prefer to give her smaller sized things and I'm ultimately looking for something very quick that I don't have to pre-cut and can just hand her quickly when pressed with an impending meltdown.

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 PM

blueberries were my go-yo in that stage... not in the car, though, but great in other places. LO has always been a neat eater, so I would bring a small glass pyrex with them for strolling or shopping and he ate them neatly. In the car, I used to make him homemade teething biscuit type things that he enjoyed. I made oat-based ones, almond-butter based ones (I called them calcium crackers because of the almonds and sesame seeds) and a few other varieties. I baked them pretty hard in large enough sizes he had to suck and chew to get anything. I would use these in the car (they keep a day or two in a container in the car) and he never choked or had trouble. They can make for a messy baby, though, so keep wipes or a rag on hand.

#3 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Homemade teething biscuits sound like a great idea!  Do you happen to have any recipes you could PM me?  I can also PM you my personal email so you don't have to type them in the website if you want.

thanks!

#4 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

not for the car, but for the high chair I always liked giving frozen peas.  Small enough not to choke.  Just grab a handful from the freezer as you need them. 

#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

DD loved frozen organic blueberries, for at home or course.  I agree that the Plum Organics puffs are not the best choice, just look at all the added synthetic vitamins in them!!  The Plum organics Fiddlesticks dont have added "vitamins" and they are in a paper box, and wrapped in a small plastic wrapper on the inside.  I feed DD those sometimes.  Also, whole grain spiral pasta with a little olive oil.  Raisins.  Dried cranberries, etc.

#6 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM

If you want a cracker-type snack, Annie's whole wheat bunny crackers are a good keep-in-the-purse option. I also started giving nuts around that age, but it would be up to you to decide how you feel about the allergy risk on that one. And what about home-made granola bars? I haven't made them in a long time and can't remember the recipe, but I used to make oatmeal granola bars from a recipe here on MDC - they were mostly oats with a little dried fruit and coconut, held together by egg, honey, and coconut oil. The kids loved them, they had sugar, but probably no more than most processed snacks and certainly less salt and preservatives, and they kept well in the freezer - I could just grab a few when we were heading out, and they'd be fine for the day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page