Seeking Cast Iron Recipes. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have a large skillet and a dutch oven that i love. i never use soap on them. i reclaimed them and worked hard to get them clean and reseasoned. if any thing sticks i scour it off with a scrubber. i have never had any tastes left over from a previous meal. i just rinse with hot water and a little scrubbing, then dry with a towel and rub with oil. 95% of the time all i do is wipe it out with a rag and re oil. i take them camping with me and use them there too.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 12:11 PM

I also use cast iron for everything. I've never had trouble cooking with tomatoes or other acidic foods, and I have a super picky husband who would definitely let me know if something tasted off to him :)

Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yee-ha! Thanks! I'm glad to know it won't get ruined (both the pan and the food). I'm going to try it next time, since I have two skillets and a dutch oven, which only gets used for pot roast right now. (Looking forward to barbecue, beans, pasta sauce.....)

Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Once the seasoning is good, 

How much use does it take for a pan's seasoning to be "good?"

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Good question....

I was afraid of my pan for a long time and didn't use it much at first. I would recommend using as much fat as you can and frying as much as you can to get it well-seasoned. What worked for me was rubbing the entire thing with whatever grease I was using to cook before I got started. Do the outside, too, and wipe off the excess from the outside before you start cooking. Then do as much frying as you can. When you finish cooking, rinse/wipe it clean and then recoat with grease/oil every time you use it. Every now and then, coat and toss in the oven for an hour or two to harden the seasoning more.

If it's a new pan with no seasoning at all, or very little, try to do things that won't stick and fill up the pan, like frying or gravies with lots of fat in them. I think if you use it every day the seasoning will be good in a few weeks. Since I didn't use mine much, I just kept re-seasoning it (I didn't strip it, just put more layers of fat on and baked in the oven again). I did it 3 or 4 times and fried a few times and it was amazing how fast it went from questionable to great!

HTH

Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Baked at what temperature?

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasya View Post

Baked at what temperature?

I put my brand new pre-seasoned cast iron in the oven for an hour or two at 350 degrees. I coated with coconut oil. The first time I put really thick coats of oil. While they were in the oven I did some internet reading and found that you should put really think coats on. Like I read, my pans were sticky when I took them out after thick coats. I had to wash with soap to get all the stickiness off.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 AM

WSS!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 AM

to season, first you have to make sure it is clean and dried off. then you put in the oven at 500 deg for 3 hours. that will bake off the old stuff. let it cool. scrape it or scour it. (you only have to do this if it is looks gross, if it looks new then you dont have to) then dry it. the put in the oven at 350 again for 20 min till it is really dry. then coat with olive oil. make sure you have an old cookie sheet in the bottom to catch oil drips. then put the pan upside down in the oven for 2 hours. coat and repeat until it is a nice glossy black inside. there is your seasoning. it will create smoke. have your exhaust fan on.

i use my dutch oven for everything. whole chickens. casseroles, soups, broths, roasts, biscuits, baked mac-n-cheese, etc. i made green bean tater tot casserole in it. i browned the burger in it, then added the green beans, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, stirred, put cheese on top then poured a bag of tater tots on top, then put in the oven at 350 for 45 min. yummmm.  and afterwards all i had to do was rinse it out, maybe scrub some of the cheese off, wipe it down and then reapply some olive oil to keep it nice.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.

User Tag List