Seeking Cast Iron Recipes. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I just got my first cast iron and I am so excited. I am looking for recipes. Anyone have any to share? (Prefer vegetarian and gluten free, but I can probably convert any that aren't.)

Thanks.

(I cross-posted in vegetarian as well.)

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cast iron pans can be used just like any other pans. Make sure it's well seasoned and you shouldn't have any sticking issues.

I use mine for everything from frying things (really helps the seasoning as well) to pancakes. I use it mostly for meat because it gives a great sear to it but since you are vegetarian, that tip probably won't help you!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#3 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 10:52 AM

I too use mine for everything from scrambled eggs to roasting a whole chicken. I love that you can just throw them in the oven too.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#4 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM

Recipes?   

Just cook in it.  Seriously!

I probably do 75% of my cooking in cast-iron skillets.  I sautee chicken breasts, make indian curries (both bean and meat),  toast quesadillas, make refried beans, make ground-beef burrito filling, make stir-fries, sautee onions and peppers for huevos rancheros, make Dutch Baby pancakes (the fact they go into the oven at high temps makes them perfect for that).   DH makes cornbread in them.  I do quick sauces for pasta, cook bacon, fry falafel...

Most of our cooking is stovetop cooking, and unless I need volume (cooking pasta or soup) or surface area (pancakes get made on the cast-iron griddle) or lightness (I've got a 14" paella-style calphalon pan) most of that happens in a cast iron skillet.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#5 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM

I'm with everyone else - I cook EVERYTHING in my cast iron pan.

Breakfast: eggs and bacon

Lunch: heat up meat and beans from last night, quick saute some vegetables

Dinners: Socca's and (not at the same meal!) meat, beans, veggies

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#6 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Someone just told me that the cast iron (actually, the seasoning) keeps the flavors of what you cook so you flavor whatever you make with whatever you've made. Does anyone else find that to be true?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Someone just told me that the cast iron (actually, the seasoning) keeps the flavors of what you cook so you flavor whatever you make with whatever you've made. Does anyone else find that to be true?

Yes.  I have had spicy pancakes the morning after making a curry in my cast iron, and other strong flavors, like bacon, tend to linger.  I wash mine with soap and water and heat to dry on the stove top or in the oven if I've cooked something with a sauce or meat in it.  If it's just a vegetable sautee, eggs, or pancakes, I'll probably just wipe it out and use it again.

#8 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:

The seasoning itself (the black layer) has never really picked up flavors that I can detect.   However, I do wash mine otu with a bit of soap after use.   If you dont' do that, you leave oils on the surface that can carry flavors.   

Seasoning is more than just surface grease -- a well-seasoned pan will not feel greasy to the touch, and you can use soap and that seasoning will not just wash off (don't scrub vigorously or soak, though!).    Seasoning is oil cured right onto the pan that binds with the surface.   

I generally give mine a quick wash with a small amount of soap, rinse with very hot water and then put over a burner to dry.  Then I swish in a small amount of oil or fat, rub it around with a paper towel or bit of newsprint (these make great fire starters for grill or woodstove later) and leave it heating for another minute or two to protect/maintain the surface.

#9 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

The seasoning itself (the black layer) has never really picked up flavors that I can detect.   However, I do wash mine otu with a bit of soap after use.   If you dont' do that, you leave oils on the surface that can carry flavors.   

Seasoning is more than just surface grease -- a well-seasoned pan will not feel greasy to the touch, and you can use soap and that seasoning will not just wash off (don't scrub vigorously or soak, though!).    Seasoning is oil cured right onto the pan that binds with the surface.   

I generally give mine a quick wash with a small amount of soap, rinse with very hot water and then put over a burner to dry.  Then I swish in a small amount of oil or fat, rub it around with a paper towel or bit of newsprint (these make great fire starters for grill or woodstove later) and leave it heating for another minute or two to protect/maintain the surface.

I agree with this, but I have still had spicy pancakes after washing a cast iron with soap and water, so it can sometimes linger a bit.

#10 of 39 Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

This is all just so interesting. I wish I'd gotten into cast iron years ago. It just all seemed so daunting.

Thanks everyone.

I'd still love some more recipes if you have them.

#11 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivatedlife View Post

Dinners: Socca's and (not at the same meal!) meat, beans, veggies

These look interesting. What do you eat with them?

#12 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 AM

my grandma only own cast iron skillets- she cooks everything in them :) Two recipes that we always, always make in a cast iron pan are corn bread and baked beans. For cornbread, while you are mixing it up put the pan in the hot oven with a tbls or two or fat and let it get nice and hot, then take it out and pour the batter into it. Best-tasting crunchy corn bread ever! Unfortunately I can't share our baked beans recipe with you because then I would have to kill you... mischievous.gif

#13 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:

This is all just so interesting. I wish I'd gotten into cast iron years ago. It just all seemed so daunting.

Thanks everyone.

I'd still love some more recipes if you have them.

It is so easy to refry beans in cast iron -- howzabout this:   Bean burritos with onions and peppers.

Put pan over medium heat.   Pour in a dollop of oil (this meal, being veggie, I don't worry about low-fat and use a nice big glug of olive oil).

While the oil heats, thinly slice one or two onions.   Throw those in the pan, toss to coat with oil, and start cooking them down.  You want them limp and golden and fragrant, which will take awhile (the longer the better, IMO).

While the onions begin to cook...

Mince a clove or two of garlic, stir that in.

Thinly slice some peppers -- I like to use a red bell pepper and then a few Anaheim peppers for moderate heat.  Poblano pepper works too.  Throw the sliced pepper in and keep cooking until onions are browned and peppers are limp too.

Add more oil if needed.   You may need to reduce heat to low to avoid burning the onions.   The cast iron will hold the heat nicely.

Scrape the onions and peppers out into a small serving bowl, leaving as much oil behind as you can.

Into the onion-flavored oil, dump 1-2 cans of pinto or black beans (or the equivalent amount of cooked-from-dry).   I used to do just one can, but my kids are 11 and 7 and we need 2 cans now.

Heat beans for a few minutes.  Sprinkle with some ground cumin if desired (just a few pinches).   

Here's the fun of cast iron.  Get a potato masher.  Mash the beans in the pan.  You can leave some beans whole as long as there's a bunch of mashed beans to hold it all into refried bean texture.  Don't worry if your masher is metal, don't worry about knockign around the pan -- that's what its FOR.  

We serve the refried beans in wheat tortillas, topped wtih the sauteed peppers/onions, cheese, and sometimes guac.   

Or we spread the beans on tortillas, top with scrambled eggs, top teh eggs with the pepper/onion mixture, spread cheese over the top, and serve like that (some baby arugula is good with that combo,too.  Offer salsa at table, eat with knife and fork.  

You could use corn tortillas with either option to avoid the gluten.

#14 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going grocery shopping. I'll get the ingredients for corn bread.

And the refries sound so good. I make my own black beans so I think I'll try this. 

Here's a recipe I found for tortillas made out of mung beans. I LOVE them and they are so much healthier than wheat. PLUS, if you know anything about how awful gluten free tortillas are (except for corn) you can roll and fold these AND they taste good. http://spiceandmore.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/an-exciting-discovery/

#15 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 PM

HEre's another recipe that cast iron makes easy and tasty:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1718,156188-227207,00.html

Dutch baby Pancakes

(it's kind of a pancake, kind of souffle, baked right in a cast iron skillet in the oven.)

Not sure if it would work with gluten-free flours, but it might (since it is not a risen batter, but one that puffs from eggs).   We have these for dinner fairly regularly, as a large recipe contains lots of egg and is a way to get good rich local farm eggs into the kid of mine who doesn't like straight egg.   

We often top with sliced fruits -- cook about halfway done, top with fruit, finish cooking.   

I've also seen recipes for filling them with savory fillings like taco filling, bruschetta topping, etc. 

#16 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard of Dutch Babies before and you inspired me to look around. Here's a recipe for gf dutch babies I just found:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/99989/gluten-free-dutch-babies.html

or I read you can just use Pamela's Baking Mix in place of the flour.

#17 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 PM

I enjoy soccas with a curry (sans rice), grilled vegetables, dip, cheese (like pizza).

Yum!

Quote:

These look interesting. What do you eat with them?

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#18 of 39 Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivatedlife View Post

I enjoy soccas with a curry (sans rice), grilled vegetables, dip, cheese (like pizza).

Yum!

Curry sounds good. I bought hummus and thought we could dip them in. Does that sound reasonable?

#19 of 39 Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM

There are some great books out there for more traditional recipes, here's one from Lehman's:

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Books___Cookbooks___Cast_Iron_Cooking___Revised___1152975#1152975

Have fun!

#20 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 AM

I use them for everything but they are a lifesaver for simple one pot meals in the broiler. My meals are pretty simple.

My favorite is broiled garlic lamb and sweet potato. Basically cut the sweet potato up into about half inch cubes and put them directly in a LARGE cast iron pan, no oil or anything. Put them in the broiler, stirring occasionally until they are toasted and kinda starting to black on most sides. Take the pan out and add some chopped onions and put raw lamb smeared in garlic down under the potatoes and put it back in the broiler. After the juices start to come out of the lamb stir the potatoes and onions and possibly flip the lamb. The potatoes soak up the garlic lamb juice and taste really good if you hit all of them with a little juice. Once the lamb is done pull it out and eat. I usually make broccoli/asparagus/zucchini on the stove top with a little olive oil and salt and pepper to go with it.

One thing I have noticed is if I cook fish in one of my cast iron skillets the next thing i make in it has a sort of fishy smell. But it isn't bad enough to change anything. My grandmother was very particular about fish but I don't care so much. She never let anyone cook it in the house, let alone in one of her cast iron skillets.

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#21 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 AM

Sundaycrepes, that is so funny about the "tortillas" from mung bean. Funny that someone would call it a wrap or a tortilla equivalent. Not demeaning you or the wordpress person. Just finding it amusing :-).

It is a traditional South Indian crepe, so to speak, much like a "dosa" made of black gram lentils and rice. Or of bengal gram-pigeon peas (I think that's the name)-rice (you can add any lentils to this recipe, IMO). PM me if you'd like recipes. DD loves the dosa. For vegan and gluten-free, look for South Indian recipes. Most of them do not use wheat in any form (except when some of them ask for asafoetida and I've found that some of the brands have wheat starch in them, for some reason; although asafoetida gives a nice taste to it and aids digestion when you're using bengal gram in a recipe, but I've skipped it many times, when DD was sensitive to wheat).

I've used this recipe in the past:

<http://mommydiaries.posterous.com/black-eyed-peas-dosa>

substituting rice for wheat, 1 for 1, with great results. I fermented the batter overnight before making it for my daughter, because I didn't want to take a chance with asafoetida. Wheat starch shouldn't contain wheat protein in an ideal world but who knows! There is another recipe that comes up when you google it, but calls for more cutting and chopping. This is a simple straightforward version, that I like for its simplicity. Oh and I've also tried chopped greens mixed into the batter. I imagine that any chopped up vegetable will work fine as long as it'll cook sufficiently by the time the dosa gets cooked. 

<http://www.friendskorner.com/forum/f22/black-eyed-beans-dosa-194493/> An onion twist. However, sprinkling things onto the batter and pressing them in never works well for me. When I flip it over, I always have some spill out it starts to burn because they are all by their lone self off to one corner of the pan... So, I prefer mixing any vegetables into the batter.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#22 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 AM

I use my cast iron griddle for making pancakes, hot sandwiches, quesadillas, tortillas or other flat breads.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#23 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasya View Post

Sundaycrepes, that is so funny about the "tortillas" from mung bean. Funny that someone would call it a wrap or a tortilla equivalent. Not demeaning you or the wordpress person. Just finding it amusing :-).

I live in Tucson. Here we do tortillas, burritos, quesadillas. There is much excitement amongst my gluten free friends that I found a way to eat tortillas that taste good and can be folded for a real burrito. Perhaps in other parts of the world (as in where they originated) they have other names, but here they are blessed tortillas.

And yes, I will pm you for more recipes. Thanks. (BTW, we do have one restaurant in town that serves dosas, we just prefer the curries at the northern Indian restaurants.)

I looked at your black eyed pea dosa recipe, but the second one didn't come through right.

#24 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepickles View Post

One thing I have noticed is if I cook fish in one of my cast iron skillets the next thing i make in it has a sort of fishy smell. But it isn't bad enough to change anything. My grandmother was very particular about fish but I don't care so much. She never let anyone cook it in the house, let alone in one of her cast iron skillets.

Interesting

#25 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM

SundayCrepes, of course! Just like some people would call a gyro a wrap and Greeks will probably find it funny, lol!

I copied it off the top 1 and 3 results that google threw up for "black-eyed peas dosa". The second one is a mixture of green gram and something else. Oh wait, I just figured the problem. I'll go and edit my post. See if it works now.

The link that you gave says that he/she added ginger and green chillies while grinding for extra effect. Well, I always always add them, because the original recipe calls for them :-). It is just that we take so many things for granted in our own culture, that others find daunting. Like Thai curries. I love them but have no clue how to make a good one! Likewise, any East Asian cuisines. South Asian, yessir!

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#26 of 39 Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

hasya, thanks for updating the second recipe. My son just today FINALLY tried the mung bean tortillas and thought they were amazing (as I knew he would if he ever tried them.) So, I won't be touching the recipe for a very long time. We have success, I'm not messing with it. However, someday...

#27 of 39 Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 AM

I never use soap to wash my cast iron pans. I've always heard that it ruins them. I just wash with hot water and then heat it on the stove to dry, then rub the inside with some oil.

#28 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Once the seasoning is good, I use soap on mine and don't have a problem. I do NOT scour, scrub or anything like that -- that will take the seasoning off. It won't "ruin" them but you'll have to reseason.

On a related recipe-note, does anyone use their cast iron for things like tomato sauce? I've read you can't use tomatoes or any other acids (vinegar, etc) b/c they will react with the iron. Do you use your cast iron for these things or just keep another pan for that stuff? (It seems like everything I cook has tomatoes, vinegar, or both....)

#29 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

Once the seasoning is good, I use soap on mine and don't have a problem. I do NOT scour, scrub or anything like that -- that will take the seasoning off. It won't "ruin" them but you'll have to reseason.

On a related recipe-note, does anyone use their cast iron for things like tomato sauce? I've read you can't use tomatoes or any other acids (vinegar, etc) b/c they will react with the iron. Do you use your cast iron for these things or just keep another pan for that stuff? (It seems like everything I cook has tomatoes, vinegar, or both....)

I use cast iron for tomatoes.  When I make meat balls I sautee the onions and garlic in the cast iron, mix up the meat balls and sauce, brown the meat balls in the cast iron, pour the sauce over them, put a lid on, and bake.  It does get a little funky if you leave it in there too long after, but I just put the food away right after dinner and it's fine.  No weird taste or color or anything.

I also don't worry about vinegar, lemon juice, or any other acid.  I've never had a problem.

#30 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post

I use cast iron for everything.   I suppose my tomato sauces might be a little darker than someone else's but I've never had any complaints about the flavor.  

Heck, if even Alton Brown has a recipe for baked beans with tomato sauce in it that he recommends be cooked in a cast iron Dutch Oven, I think it's fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page