Total newbie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family eats fairly healthy in the sense that we eat lots of fruit and veggies, try to stay clear of preservatives and added sugars, boxed foods, etc. We do, however, eat all conventional foods, which I've gathered is a big problem too. Where do we start on turning things around? I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, so even if you can just share some good resources and starting points, that would be fantastic. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Please read what I posted here http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1321919/reasons-to-go-organic-and-tips-to-make-it-affordable#post_16560891  , check out the links and watch the videos.  Please post with any more questions or comments, I would love to hear what you have to say!

As far as turning things around, first see what you can buy locally.  There is a link in my second post in the above thread where you can type in your zip and it will show some things that are available.  Check out the farmers market and ask the farmers questions such as do they spray or dust their crops, etc.  It is usually cheaper as well.  Then, just go to your usual store, and look for things that are certified organic.  Then what you dont find there, go to the next store.  You can also talk to managers and ask what else they can order that is organic, or if you want a specific product, ask if they can order it.  Whatever you can not find at the grocery stores, get at the health food stores or order online.  Some things may even be cheaper in the health food stores, but usually not.  If you have money to spare, I would buy as much at the health food stores as possible because you are supporting a small local business(usually). 

Also, never eat ANYTHING from a can http://healthychild.org/blog/comments/avoiding_canned_plastic-packaged_foods_significantly_reduces_bpa_levels/ 

#3 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM

Cant believe that I forgot to mention to check with your local Hutterite and/or Amish colonies.  They will have meats, milk(RAW MILK!), produce, wool, breads, etc oftentimes.  Be sure to ask about their practices, because all the colonies have different values, and I have heard from others (I have not heard this from any of the hutterites themselves) that some of the colonies use things like antibiotics with their animals, some spray their crops, etc, so just ask, and if they say no, then you are good!  And make sure their chicken, turkey, etc have outdoor access and get to eat lots of grass and bugs! 

#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1love4ever has given so much great information!

When I started changing our eating habits (which is a very long process!) the first thing I did was replace unhealthy fats and oils. No more margarine, shortening, or vegetable oil. Instead, I use real butter (though just from the grocery store), coconut oil, and animal fats, like bacon grease.

If it's on the Dirty Dozen (http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/), I buy organic. If it's not on that list, but the price difference isn't that much, I'll go for the organic.

I am very fortunate that my grandparents raise grass-fed beef, so I don't have to buy any. I always try to buy the best pork and chicken I can, even if it doesn't come straight from the farm.

As far as boxed foods, I have 2 boxes of good ol' Kraft Mac and Cheese in my pantry right now...  bag.gif I usually make it from scratch because it's pretty easy, but I am gigantic and pregnant right now, and don't have the energy that I usually do. But try to figure out how to make a fairly easy substitute for the boxed foods that you buy now. 

Just remember that it doesn't happen overnight. Set a time frame, like incorporate one change per month, or something like that. Or once your Kraft Mac and Cheese is gone, never buy it again. What I don't recommend is going through your cabinets and throwing away anything "unhealthy" and replacing it at your next trip to the grocery store. I think that makes it harder to stick with it because it's too much change at once. Baby steps thumb.gif

I almost forgot the book recommendation- Real Food by Nina Planck. I have only read her book Real Food for Mother and Baby, but I really liked it, and I'll read Real Food one of these days! wink1.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#5 of 7 Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 PM

bignerpie, thanks!  In response, I wanted to say that I do sometimes buy organic boxed mac and cheese from vitacost.com or alice.com, and sometimes Annies organic version of hamburger, tuna, and chicken helper on those same sites.  I am huge and pregnant too and have no energy:)  Lol.  I always add frozen organic peas to them, and sometimes sauteed organic mushrooms if I have the energy(to the hamburger and chicken ones), a grate some organic cheese on them, etc.  I always try to do SOMETHING to improve their nutritional content, and I always go by the rule of only 1 unhealthy thing per day, if at all.  So, if I am in a rush for lunch and make boxed mac and cheese, then dinner is made out of real whole food, period.  I dont use that as an excuse to have 1 unhealthy food EVERY day, but if I happen to have something unhealthy, it is only one thing in the day(and by unhealthy I dont mean something totally nasty like conventional hot dogs, I mean something that is not a whole food like non-whole grain pasta and stuff.  I consider Kraft mac and cheese pretty nasty because of the GMO's and food colorings in it)

#6 of 7 Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I second using the EWG's shopping guide for which foods must be purchased organic.  If you just start with always buying the dirty dozen in organic you will be doing yourself a lot of good.

I think it's worth mentioning to buy as much of your meat, dairy, eggs, etc organic as you can afford as well.  The factory farming of these animals in conventional meats is not only ethically appalling, but these animals are so pumped full of hormones and antibiotics it is unfathomable.  This greatly contributes to the decline of health in the US.

It sounds like you mostly do your shopping around the perimeter of the store, and that's great!  For any packaged foods you do buy, again, go for the organic version.  Almost all packaged foods contain some form of soy/corn/canola if not high fructose corn syrup and even more unsavory garbage. 

Then there is the issue of GMO.  All conventional soy, corn, canola products are most likely GMO and should be avoided.  This is another reason I recommend getting the organic version of packaged foods.  I've seen studies on GMO corn and soy which shows them to be incredibly hard on your kidneys and thyroid.  When you start reading the ingredients of most foods, you will find that it is almost impossible to avoid soy and corn. Familiarize yourself with the yucky ingredients that are out there, and where they might be hiding, and decide for yourself how important it is to you and your family to avoid them. 

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#7 of 7 Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

I second using the EWG's shopping guide for which foods must be purchased organic.  If you just start with always buying the dirty dozen in organic you will be doing yourself a lot of good.

I think it's worth mentioning to buy as much of your meat, dairy, eggs, etc organic as you can afford as well.  The factory farming of these animals in conventional meats is not only ethically appalling, but these animals are so pumped full of hormones and antibiotics it is unfathomable.  This greatly contributes to the decline of health in the US.

It sounds like you mostly do your shopping around the perimeter of the store, and that's great!  For any packaged foods you do buy, again, go for the organic version.  Almost all packaged foods contain some form of soy/corn/canola if not high fructose corn syrup and even more unsavory garbage. 

Then there is the issue of GMO.  All conventional soy, corn, canola products are most likely GMO and should be avoided.  This is another reason I recommend getting the organic version of packaged foods.  I've seen studies on GMO corn and soy which shows them to be incredibly hard on your kidneys and thyroid.  When you start reading the ingredients of most foods, you will find that it is almost impossible to avoid soy and corn. Familiarize yourself with the yucky ingredients that are out there, and where they might be hiding, and decide for yourself how important it is to you and your family to avoid them. 

I completely agree with you!  Well said!  The other GMO crop is cotton, and you will see cottonseed oil on many labels, I just saw it the other day on Plantars nuts that my dad bought.  GMO crops are absolutely terrible for you, they have much lower nutritional value, and they age your internal organs faster than they would normally age.  They also contribute to the epidemic of antibiotic resistant bacteria(superbugs such as MRSA), because there is an antibiotic marker gene used to identify the crop in so you are getting a dose of antibiotics every time you eat these foods(watch the video http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food  for more info), and dont forget that ALL non-organic animals are fed this garbage.  A cow and a goat were never meant to eat corn, they are GRAZERS, they eat fresh vegetation naturally, so the corn diet is very hard on them, increasing the need to use medicines, and yes these medicines stay in their bodies and you ingest them through meat, eggs, milk, etc.  Eating organic animal products is VERY important, and like PP mentioned, they way that non-organic animals are raised is Appauling.  Watch the movie called Food, Inc, you can rent it at video stores, Netflix, eBay, etc.

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page