first food for my 6 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im thinking of starting with soft boiled egg yolk or hard boiled mixed with breast milk. Any other suggestions? Avocado? Zuchini? what did you do and why. Thanks mamas!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM

I think egg yolk + breastmilk would be a good choice.  Plenty of fat and protein, anyway.  DD never liked egg yolks -- still doesn't -- so that wouldn't have gone over well at our house. 

DD's favorite first foods:

- mashed banana

- steamed green beans pureed with fresh mint

- pureed spinach with cumin

- baby oatmeal with breastmilk

first foods she hated:

- hummus

- mashed avocado

- egg yolk

- refried beans

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#3 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

wow thank you sounds delicious. So what does DD stand for? I never know on these forums the abbreviations, is that your child's initials? :)

#4 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Oh my, I didn't even notice your post count!

Welcome.gif

to MDC!!! 

Here's a link to the acronyms list; it's pretty helpful when you're navigating these forums. 

http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/abbreviations-and-acronyms 

Hope to "see" you around the boards!!! 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#5 of 9 Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfcat

Both kids started on meat and veggies (whole, not pureed) at 6 months. I always gave them easy to hold pieces of whatever we were having for our own meals. I highly recommend staying away from purees (which, texturally, many people find gross) and bland foods. Give them the same textures and seasonings that you enjoy and they will enjoy it too.

This method is called Baby Led Weaning. It has been a time/money/sanity saver in my house.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#6 of 9 Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That is very interesting PP, I never thought of that, I will look into it more.  As far as DD goes, when she was 6 months I wanted to give her green beans but ended up giving her pureed carrots first.  DD choked on anything that was not pureed completely smooth until about 7.5 months old so I have a hard time grasping the above mentioned concept, but I will certainly look into it like I said.  I totally agree that you should season your babys food tho!!  I dont think a babys food should be bland and plain unless you enjoy yours the same way.  As far as eggs go I would start with egg yolk not egg white, especially not egg white that has been cooked for a long time like when you boil it because it makes the proteins harder to digest.

#7 of 9 Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM

My understanding of the Baby Led Solids/Weaning is to start offering the food at around 6 months, in fist sized pieces. And until the baby is ready/able to hold, bite, chew and swollow without choking that the baby will play with it instead. So you baby, pp, would have played and not really tired to eat till she was ready at 7.5 months. Thats the theory at least.

Like other mammals. A mother horse doesn't chew food for the baby, she just makes sure he knows were to find good food. And when he is ready/able to bite, chew and swollow without choking, he will.

Expecting #1 in Feb 2012.3rdtri.gif winner.jpgcd.gif  delayedvax.gif homeschool.gif  ribbonrwb.gif  

#8 of 9 Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 AM

LO's first was sweet potato- it has always been a favorite :) We also did pears and brown rice mixed with pear or full-fat coconut milk, which he enjoyed a lot. Soon after we did avocado, banana, peach, cantaloupe, blueberries

#9 of 9 Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM

ITA. DD isn't quite 6 months but she has had sweet potato and pear in the last week . The amount she has actually swallowed is intensely minimal, and she has once gagged on a piece of pear she broke off. She got it out with 2 good gags, no swiping needed from me. She really enjoys playing with and gumming on her food, but the amount she is eating is almost nilch. She loves being part of meal time and tasting the flavor of the food, but she clearly isn't to the "chew it up and swallow" stage yet. I am also thinking egg yolk w/ breastmilk as her next adventure  - I'm looking for something with some fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayN View Post

My understanding of the Baby Led Solids/Weaning is to start offering the food at around 6 months, in fist sized pieces. And until the baby is ready/able to hold, bite, chew and swollow without choking that the baby will play with it instead. So you baby, pp, would have played and not really tired to eat till she was ready at 7.5 months. Thats the theory at least.

Like other mammals. A mother horse doesn't chew food for the baby, she just makes sure he knows were to find good food. And when he is ready/able to bite, chew and swollow without choking, he will.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page