How do you make the perfect Kale chips?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies,

I hear you all bragging about your daily staple of Kale chips, and I would like you to share your wisdom. I have tried these countless times, and have never had success.

Mine either burn, or turn out chewy, never crisp. I tried slow cooking at 300 degrees, or quicker cooking at 425 degrees. I have used olive oil, Bragg's, and just plain, and can't seem to get the formula down right.

how often do you have to toss them? or don't you?  I have tried flipping them while cooking, not flipping them....still didn't get it.

Please, help! I really want to make these on a regular basis. Also, i have tried the black, curly, and not as curly kind -- is there one kind that works better than others?

thanks so much!!

Denise

#2 of 5 Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 AM

I bake mine at 330 degrees for 10 minutes, no flopping. Take out and wait until cool. I noticed that they get soggy when you put too much olive oil, try to reduce it and see what happens.

#3 of 5 Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 AM

I use my dehydrator.  I can't seem to get mine right in the oven.  I just have to be carefulo not to overdehydrate them or they turn crumbly.  I put toasted sesame oil, soy sauce or tamari, finely minced ginger and garlic, toasted sesame seeds, and rice vinegar on mine.

I have found that as much as we love kale chips, we love the above ingredients, just massaged into the kale leaves and eaten raw.  SO good!!!  My kids gobble it up.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#4 of 5 Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM

I did mine with olive oil, salt and vinegar, at 250 on a wire rack for about ten minutes and they were fabulous- crispy crinkled edges and slightly chewy middles

#5 of 5 Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 AM

I don't like mine chewy at all so I like them prettty crispy. I do 325 for 10 minutes and then check it every 4 minutes from there if they aren't ready. I put some olive oil in a bowl and then just brush a little on and then sprinkle some sea salt.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page