Freaked Out About My Food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

My husband and I just watched Food, Inc. last night on Netflix and we're totally freaked out. We have a little guy at home and the story about the 2 1/2 year old who died after contracting ecoli after eating a hamburger made me horrified. I feel totally committed to changing the way we eat and trying to eat better foods for our family. We've never been particularly BAD eaters, compared to probably the rest of America, because we're both from the Pacific NW where we've grown up eating a diet of fresh fruits and veggies and other whole foods because of the temperate climate.

We have access to PCC (a local co-op) and Whole Foods and other stores, and we frequently go to Farmer's Markets for our fruits and veggies. The major problem for us is that we keep very strictly kosher, and only eat kosher meats, cheeses, and other processed products. We don't have a lot of selection in that regard. We can't just buy any grass-fed meat that comes our way, we're limited to very, very expensive products flown in. Another major problem is that we're really broke, but not broke enough for the government to give us any money. We're about $1,000 or so annually away from recieving WIC, and I'm currently unemployed from a company that was apparently exempt from unemployment insurance. We don't qualify for government aid, but we don't have a lot of money to spend. So I feel like I'm often caught in a trap of wanting to find better food for my family, but not able to afford it.

Where should I start? Help me!

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We eat vegetarian meals about 3-4 times a week so we can afford to serve better quality meats in our home. Invest in a bread maker or learn to make your own bread. Its got way less chemicals than the stuff you buy at the store.

Gardening is a great way to get good clean produce.

Good luck!

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
#3 of 4 Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Try posting under the frugality forum. The women there have amazing ideas sometimes.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 4 Old 07-21-2011, 12:00 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey you should read my posts here http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1321919/reasons-to-go-organic-and-tips-to-make-it-affordable   I think you will find some of the things helpful and like the videos as well, they are an excellent follow-up to Food, Inc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page