Juicers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking about buying a juicer, and I'd like to hear what you like about yours.  I'd like to juice mainly greens, but also harder veggies such as carrots (just occasionally, and only in small amounts), celery, and some fruits (again, only occasionally).  I primarily want to juice greens, since I am trying incorporate more raw greens into our diets.

I'm at the beginning of my research, and I would appreciate any input.  So far, it looks like either a champion or omega might work for me.  Any thoughts?

#2 of 17 Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Breville is the brand I know and love. I think it really depends on how serious you want to get - there was a time in my life when I was a heavy raw foodie juicer so I needed something powerful and easy to clean. Breville makes some serious heavy duty hardware. I generally juice beets, carrots, ginger, cucumber - the crunchy stuff. 

- I haven't tried other juicers so I have no idea how the Breville models compares to Omega or Champion but the juicers they make are fantastic imo.

Hope you find something that works for you, welcome to the world of juicing!!

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#3 of 17 Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I have a friend with a Breville.  She likes it a lot.  Like I said, I'm still at the beginning of researching juicers, so I'm not wanting to rush out and buy the first thing, kwim?  Thanks for your input!

#4 of 17 Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM

A good friend of mine used a Champion juicer when we lived together. We really liked it! I think it has an attachment specifically for wheat grass. They are a little spendy: $230. But I just found one TODAY at a garage sale for $10! carrot.gifbroc1.gif We are making carrot strawberry juice right now. So keep your eyes open for garage sales and other good deals! I've seen them in the past on Craigslist.
#5 of 17 Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Holy Cow!! That is like the deal of the century!  Thanks for that.  I will def. keep my eyes open for sales and such.  

#6 of 17 Old 08-02-2011, 04:38 AM

I have an Omega (around 250 dollars). I really love it but don't use it as much as I should. I can't quite stomach the taste of too many greens as I'd like to. I've tried googling healthy toddler recipes to get my son drinking more fresh juices but no luck.

cloth diaperin' mama to one little boy!
#7 of 17 Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

that's what I've been leaning towards.  I was thinking that I could use it primarily for greens, and the occasional apple or whatever.  Do you think that it would handle apples/carrots/beets/etc. as long as it's not all the time?

#8 of 17 Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 PM

well it depends on that how much u can spend for buying one . There's alots of brands with different prices . Champion are generally considered the best, but they are also quite expensive. I have a Breville Juice Fountain that was reasonably priced and works well. well hopfully u will get one soon . Best of lick

#9 of 17 Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't gotten one yet.  I got sidetracked from my researching, and haven't gotten back to it.  I think I could probably spend up to about $250.

#10 of 17 Old 08-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have an omega, I think I paid around 200 for it.  It is worth it though, especially if you think you'd ever consider doing a juice feast cleanse.  The 200 to 300 dollar ones are usually masticating, which is the best, because it is basically chewing the produce for you and providing you with the juice with all the enzymes in tact. If you're willing to spend around that amount, my Omega can juice up anything, no problem.  I've made lots of carrot juice, green juice with beets, if it's juiceable a good masticating juicer can do it.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#11 of 17 Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

I have an omega, I think I paid around 200 for it.  It is worth it though, especially if you think you'd ever consider doing a juice feast cleanse.  The 200 to 300 dollar ones are usually masticating, which is the best, because it is basically chewing the produce for you and providing you with the juice with all the enzymes in tact. If you're willing to spend around that amount, my Omega can juice up anything, no problem.  I've made lots of carrot juice, green juice with beets, if it's juiceable a good masticating juicer can do it.

I spent several hours yesterday reading reviews and comparing juicers.  I think that I am going to purchase an Omega 8003 or 8005 (the only difference is the casing: white vs. chrome, correct?).  I like the warranty, I like that it can juice pretty much anything, it gets good reviews for noise level and ease of cleaning, and I like that it is slow enough to preserve all the enzymes and whatnot.  Now, to collect all the $$ so that we can actually purchase one, lol.

#12 of 17 Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 AM

I just listened to an interview with Jay Kordich(the juiceman) on one radio network They were talking about this new juicer they have come out with.

It sounded very interesting.  Great for greens and you can even use it to put thru almonds etc.  I have not researched it but it sounded interesting.

#13 of 17 Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM

so what happened? do you love your Omega? 

And the new champion from the garage sale, is it a good one? Did stuff fly over the kitchen? 

I am in the market too. I basically want it all, very much a balance of root veggies and greens. If I were doing just greens it seems like they make juicers just for that. It seems like the most suited ones are easy to clean too. 

I found a champion on ebay that looks really cool, all green and earthy vintage. I would be down with that. 

My raw foodie friend loves the Breville and I am considering it because she is a mom and pretty long time raw foodie. But I can't get over the foam and air taste. I once made a juice mix that was horribly hot and foamy with the vitamixer and it was barely edible... the problem is truly important to taste IMHO. I am not sure why she digs the Breville. 

I am not sure I want to slave over a juicer, but shortcuts in nutrition really do screw up the long term results. 

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#14 of 17 Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#15 of 17 Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, life happened, and I was not able to afford a juicer at Christmas time.  You know, juicer or groceries, that sort of dilemma. It is on my list, though, and I am still planning to buy a juicer.  

#16 of 17 Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 PM

okay - I feel super on target but purely from a research point of view. The Omega VRT 350 or 330 HD, but whatever, get the HD one on the end, it is 379 just about everywhere but Amazon *may* have some used and save you about $40..tiny bit scary to me to save that much though (not enough). The discountjuicer guy's videos are linked to so many good sources of raw food (I am not raw but I am devoted to learning to un-cook the most and meal plan with it in mind a lot) that his take on juicers are way more than a salesperson. He is fun with raw and so many juicers it took me a while, personally because my family loves seeds & nut butters and mylks...but we can get by the vitamixer and deluxe cuisine art no problemo. 

I watched one video of rawworld (?) that showed a greenstar compared to a hurom (?) (just like the omega but far less warranty) and the two raw foodies were juicing the same but the girl with the vertical (omega vrt 330 is the one I am trying to point at, not hurom, because I watched another video and the hurom may actually be produced in the same factory, but has a handle and far less warranty, anyway). The vertical juicer - almost the same as the non-vertical in specs, but has a larger screen, smaller on the counter, etc.. ugh.. this is my stumbling point. The two in the video were totally hip to the vertical one and seemed really silent about it, like blown away. It really gets me. I watched John (discount juicer) do some comparing juicing and an almond mylk and it seemed that when doing sunflower sprouts the 8004 won big time, but when doing mylks, the vert was better at having a full body.

Juicer is my B-day present :) and it seems I will have to save up for it too :P.. DH is a sweety, but I think we both expected much less. I am going for $40 a week as a goal for 10 weeks (give or take). 

During that time I am going to have to decide. Bottom line: The Vert is about $100 more! And the Omega 8004 IS the BEST one for greens and sprouts, plus will easily do sorbets. BUT the Vert will do everything ***faster** easier, with much less force and much less slicing. Since I am thinking most always having greens AND other veggies and fruits in my juice, this juicer is much higher on my list because it really, really seems far faster, easier, and space saving, plus does mylks better. The sprouts test was an eye opener, so I don't know. Maybe the next 5 years is a reality for me to get the vrt - small kids, homeschooling, everyone drinking juice (DH too) and not at all going to start drinking greens straight. Yeah, I guess I am getting the Omega vrt 330HD. I think, hehe.

gardenmommy we just gotta squirrel away! Think though by the time you save up it will late spring and you will be happiest for it!  

ETA: The vrt is just fine as a juicer as the 8004 but I think the problem is getting the greens cleared out and off the large surface of the screens, so if you add a carrot, beet, apple, cucumber, etc.. I believe it makes greens just fine and faster than the 8004, but if you are doing just greens, than the 8004 for *sure* because the vrt is too much area in the juicer for the fine leafs. 

#17 of 17 Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM

I got a omega vert 340? or the latest HD, harder screen... After 5 days of juicing my *******mind**** and body feel amazing!! I can only afford to make 2 juices for the family a day... I am sooooo in love!!! This is worth everything!!!! Please get one pronto and start a greens garden for it! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page