Need some tips on gaining weight.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe I should put this on the weight management thread? .. I'll try both places.

Background - I weighed about 140 lb from puberty to 18 when I became pregnant with DS. That was a little on the heavier side for me, and I lost weight very quickly after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease and going GF. Since then I have stabilized around 117-118 lb for the long haul. I am 5'2" and 22 y/o. Seems to be a very comfy weight for me, that was my pre-pregnancy weight with DD and I returned to it a few weeks after she was born. 

Current issue -  I am an avid runner, and have always been able to eat-to-maintain while training without issue. Right now, though, I am running the most I ever have (about 20 miles/week) while I'm training for a half marathon (woo!). The race i on 8/14 and so far everything has been going really, really well, so I am not backing out. I am also exclusively breastfeeding DD who will be 6 months this week. I weighed myself a few weeks ago while we were on vacation staying with family and was surprised to see I was down to 114 lb. Yesterday, my DH mentioned to me that I am looking really tiny and he has never seen  my arms so small. So I weighed myself after he said that and was shocked to see 112. I was previously running 10 miles without energy issues.. but have found in the last week or two that I feel like I'm "running out" by the time I get to 4 miles or so. 112 lbs is just too small for me. I need those fat stores. I have not had any problems with milk supply... so clearly my body knows what it's supposed to use the fat it does have for, but I could really use some more for this half marathon!

For the race - Ideally, I would love to gain between 3 and 5 lbs before the day of the race. Is it possible to gain weight that quickly? I realize I *could* gain weight by just eating a whole bunch but I have a very sensitive digestive system and I'm guessing that would result in a lot of cramping and bad running anyway. Typically I eat 6-8 meals a day .. I eat eggs and greek yogurt and nut butters for my fats, and usually a meat at dinner when possible.  I try to do rice pasta at least twice a week for some carbs.. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies and I add olive oil or butter whenever possible. I don't get as much nutbutter as I would like but it's hard since I obviously can't eat bread.... I don't know what else to put it on? I pretty much just drink water, though I occasionally have almond milk or fresh squeezed juice. I don't drink dairy milk because I eat greek yogurt and when I overdose on lactose it's not pretty. I've considered eating larger meals, less times per day - but then again I fight the issue of cramping/full stomach while I'm running. I realize I'll probably lose the weight I gain during the race anyway... but afterwards I will be scaling back my training big time so putting it back on should be simple.

Any tips for foods, or ways of eating foods, that can help me pack on a little bit of a fat in a short period of time???

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#2 of 2 Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have some ideas!  I tend to lose a fair amount when I am nursing too.  My thoughts:

We do sunbutter/nut butter on rice cakes.  You could also dip apples in it.

Eat avocado.  A lot of avocado.  I'm not losing so much right now but I used eat 1/2 an avocado everyday-often with olive oil, sea salt and pepper on it.

Add more butter and oil than you think you need.
Snack on nuts. 

Use coconut milk where you can.  Use it in a smoothie, coffee or chai tea.  Native Forest brand does not use BPA in their cans.

Is your yogurt lowfat?  It seems many greek yogurts are so I would find a full fat yogurt.  Perhaps top it with some grain-free granola. ( I use a little less honey.)

Make sure you are dipping your veggies in something.  We can't do eggs right now but I used to make ranch with all mayo (you could do part yogurt too).  Mayo, lemon juice, garlic, basil, dill, salt and pepper, water if you want it thinner. 

Have a snack right before bed too!

Oven fries dipped in the aforementioned ranch.  I also love sweet potato oven fires dipped in mayo mixed with smoked paprika and chili powder.

Hope that helps!  And while obviously lots of sugar is not great- maybe splurge on some coconut ice cream every now and then. winky.gif

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page