do you ever just get overwhelmed with WHATEVER eating plan you are trying, or from-scratch cooking...just want to give up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-24-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have.

Till I finally looked at my life and realized I'm doing A LOT.  I'm doing REALLY WELL.  At least in comparison to what I ate as a child.

*I* was raised on fast food and the frozen and boxed sections of the supermarket.  Quite literally the ONLY food I remember my mother cooking that did not come from a box or have any sort of packaging to it was pot roast--hunk of meat in roaster, cut up onions, carrots, potatoes.

"Cooking" to my mother, and to me when I first started living on my own started with 'brown a pound of ground beef'  whether it was to make tacos, dump in a jar of Ragu, or Hamburger Helper. 

The fact that I know what kale is--that's a giant step for me.  Vegetables in my house consisted of the aforementioned pot roast accompaniments, canned corn, green beans, and peas.  I still hate canned peas and green beans.  Don't mind corn.

I now know how to cook from scratch and bake from scratch.  I know how to keep the right ingredients in my pantry to do it too. Huge, for someone whose home contained packages that you added milk, water, or meat to, in order to create your meal.

My kids *love* fruit.  They drink green smoothies.  My son thinks it is cool to make healthy "milkshakes" (the green smoothie) and ice cream.  This is a way different thing than me, who once professed I would DIE if I had to try a strawberry.

I need this positivitiy to keep me going in the right direction.  :) anyone else?  (like today when I made a I guess former favorite, salmon patties, for lunch and all my son did was crab that i didn't have all the stuff he wanted to put on that sandwich right now.  grr)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 2 Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like this! Sometimes when I see people (not to put anyone down or anything) who do better on the all-organic type stuff, I feel really bad, but then I remember I was raised more or less like you and feel so much better! I make bread from scratch, and veggies are a huge part of our weekly grocery bill. While my mom was a little more into cooking than yours was, we still ate a lot of fried chicken, fast food, meals without veggies, etc... Now my son ate organic for his first year, and drinks green smoothies and eats kale, gets plenty of dha and stuff, and feel so awesome! There is also this neighbor girl the same age with nutritional deficiencies who only eats kool aid and candy and hot dogs at her house, so I feed her a lot of nutritious stuff when she is at my house and she thinks it is great, even though her mom tells me she won't eat that stuff! lol :) 

p.s. I love salmon patties soooo yummy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page