Coconut Oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I bought some coconut oil, but haven't figured out what to use it in. I also got some cast iron pots, so seasoned them with the oil, but I'd like to cook with it.

We are gluten free, dairy free vegetarians. What kinds of recipes do you use coconut oil in?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2 of 23 Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is great for most things. Veggies, hot salads, baked goods, etc. The only thing I did not like it in was salad dressing for cold salads. It solidifies too quickly to work for that.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 PM

well i've never tried coconut oil . but still if u waan use it u should use it on some salads . i personaly dont like the coconut taste . But i've heard that Fresh coconut water is really good for health and for inflammation .

#4 of 23 Old 08-04-2011, 07:35 AM

You can substitute coconut oil in any recipe that calls for butter, vegetable oil, or shortening. I think it's especially great for baking. If you eat eggs, try cooking them in coconut oil, too.

I know you put this in the Nutrition forum, but I also use coconut oil to make homemade deodorant. thumb.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#5 of 23 Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I know you put this in the Nutrition forum, but I also use coconut oil to make homemade deodorant. thumb.gif

Please share your "recipe." 

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 23 Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Equal parts baking soda and cornstarch, mix in enough coconut oil to hold it together, and add a few drops of tea tree oil. The last time I made it, I used 1/3 c. of the soda and starch, but I can't remember how much coconut oil it took. Maybe 1/2 cup? And I put in 10 drops of TTO. Smoosh it into an empty deodorant container and keep in the fridge. smile.gif

You could substitute the TTO with another essential oil or leave it out altogether, but I like the anti-fungal properties, and I actually enjoy the smell. I'll never buy deodorant again. winky.gif

maciascl likes this.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#7 of 23 Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 PM

You can use it for almost anything. I find that the taste is not too strong when there are other tastes involved. Mostly I use it for stir fries, baking where oil is called for and I don't feel like melting butter, curries, frying pancakes...

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#8 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM

I use it to coat the pan when we make pancakes or waffles.  And it's in our fave teff oatmeal raisin muffin.  I've also used it as the fat for baked oatmeal. YUM!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#9 of 23 Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 AM

we use i for baking, to grease muffin tins, and my all time favourite is for making popcorn - use the coconut oil in a pot instead of a vegetable oil and let the popcorn pop away in it. You get a bit of coconut taste, it's delicious!

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#10 of 23 Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM

We use it almost every day. My son likes pancakes and waffles, so we use it to grease the pan. I use it in stir fries sometimes, but I don't like the coconut taste with many vegetables. I use it instead of butter in cakes, cookies and pastry. It melts very quickly, so you have to keep it in the fridge in summer so it stays solid. I don't think it would work in salad dressing because it solidifies too quickly when cold. It's very healthy - kills yeast and bad bacteria, and is good for your brain. A very good fat. I buy the unrefined organic one at Whole Foods, which is the least expensive I've found.

#11 of 23 Old 08-16-2011, 12:48 PM

It is absolutely fantastic in curries. So, so good. Remember if you use it for baking to decrease the amount by 1/4 or so. You need less of it. 

#12 of 23 Old 08-16-2011, 01:03 PM

Coconut oil deodorant is the best!  I use the same recipe mentioned above, and I LOVE it far more than any I've ever purchased.

Our favorite pancakes use coconut oil, and we use this recipe nearly every day:

http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/10/my-favorite-scd-legal-pancakes-almond-flour/

I also melt it to add to smoothies (1-2 teaspoons/serving) to make them more filling and lower the 'sugar rush' effect of all the fruit.

#13 of 23 Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 PM

I use it for pop corn (we pop in a pan with oil).  Just add a little salt and it is delicious.  (I don't like the taste of it with butter if it's been popped in coconut oil, though.)

I also like it in baking, here's a newly adapted (by me, not sure where I found the original) gingerbread recipe:

Mix:

2-1/2 c flour (I use a gluten free baking mix that is white rice flour, some starches, baking soda)

1-1/2 t ground clove

2 T ground cinnamon

1 T ground ginger (more for spicier cookies)

3/4 t baking soda

1 T minced crystalized ginger

Melt in a sauce pan over med-low heat:

1/2 c coconut oil

3/4 c sugar

1/4 c milk (I use almond milk)

1/4 c honey

Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.  Mix dry and wet ingredients and spread on a cookie sheet between two pieces of parchment paper.  Refrigerate a couple hours.  Roll cold dough about 1/8" thick, cut into desired shapes and bake on parchment at 400F for 10-12 minutes or until they begin to brown.

Coconut oil makes great pie crusts, is yummy for sauteeing and frying, but I don't always like everything to have that flavor so I rotate it with other oils.  It is great spread on toast with jam or peanut butter.  I second the rec to use it in curries.

#14 of 23 Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

I used it in blueberry coconut flour pancakes the other day and didn't like it. It was too coconutty. Now I'm afraid to use it in anything. I do like the taste of coconut milk in smoothies and curries. I'm just not sure how I'd respond to the oil. Anyone have comments on that?

Thanks.

#15 of 23 Old 08-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

I used it in blueberry coconut flour pancakes the other day and didn't like it. It was too coconutty. Now I'm afraid to use it in anything. I do like the taste of coconut milk in smoothies and curries. I'm just not sure how I'd respond to the oil. Anyone have comments on that?

Thanks.

I'd say start with baking.  When I use it in gingerbread or pie crust I don't taste the coconut at all.  Obviously I do taste it on the popcorn, but I like it there.

My parents use it for sauteing vegetables, frying potatoes, and frying eggs -- I don't always like to taste the coconut on those things.

#16 of 23 Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post

I'd say start with baking.  When I use it in gingerbread or pie crust I don't taste the coconut at all.  Obviously I do taste it on the popcorn, but I like it there.

My parents use it for sauteing vegetables, frying potatoes, and frying eggs -- I don't always like to taste the coconut on those things.

Thanks. Will do.

#17 of 23 Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM

I do *not* want the coconut flavor with eggs, but it is great with most veggies, rice, and hot cereal such as oatmeal, if you can do that.

I use coconut oil most often in coffee - I'm also gf and a cup of coffee with a spoon of coconut oil and some sweetener is as good as dessert to me.  Or I melt it and add cocoa and sweetener for chocolate sauce to put on ice cream or with frozen bananas when I'm craving chocolate.

#18 of 23 Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 PM

I have heard that refined coconut oil has less of a coconut flavor than unrefined/virgin oil does - which kind do you have? I love coconut oil, although it took me a while to figure out what to do with it too. I don't like it with eggs, but think it's great on popcorn, in curries/stirfries, or as a replacement for butter. One of my favorite easy meals is fried rice made in coconut oil. I also use it to make my own toothpaste, and the other night I made brownies and substituted coconut oil for butter, and they were delicious!

#19 of 23 Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM

FWIW I've used both (refined and unrefined - I mostly just use it to treat my cast iron pans, though I do fry the occasional pancake in it also) and I can't smell the coconut at all in the refined stuff.  It's really neutral.  The coconuttiness is very strong in the unrefined though.  The labels say the refined holds up to higher heat (450 F I think?) while the unrefined is only supposed to go to 280 F.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#20 of 23 Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My kids like it best over asparagus or cauliflower when we roast them.  Just a little salt, pepper, coconut oil and roast at 400 for about 15-20min.  They like it on those 2 veggies best.

#21 of 23 Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 AM

My favorite method of consumption is straight off of the spoon.  It is soooo good.  Took me about a week to become accustomed to the taste but now I LOVE it.  I buy the Nutiva unrefined stuff (which you can subscribe to on Amazon.com for uber cheap).

I use it for quite literally EVERYTHING.  I put it on my hair and skin - I'm going to try the deodorant, too!  I cook my eggs in it.  I cook my veggies in it, I saute leftover meats in it.  I do not cook with any other oils - they oxidize way too much just being at room temperature, there's no way I'm going to heat them up.  I add coconut oil to smoothies (which I rarely have) to add good fats.

I eat about 6T/day.  The reason I started was b/c I purchased a meal plan from my coach and the only fats he had listed were 1T coconut oil with each meal.  Now I eat 2T with some meals.  It helps with weight loss as well as it's an antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-protazoa (sp?).  It's amazing.

My trick is to put a spoon full of coconut oil in the fridge to let it get nice and cold for a few minutes before eating - then you can take bites out of it.

I am also GF/DF/SF so I don't do pancakes, etc, but if I did, you'd better believe I would be using coconut oil!

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#22 of 23 Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrett View Post

I am also GF/DF/SF so I don't do pancakes, etc, but if I did, you'd better believe I would be using coconut oil!

Check out this cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Coconut-Flour-Gluten-Free-Alternative/dp/0941599884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315977202&sr=8-1 for pancakes you CAN eat.

This website too. http://www.elanaspantry.com/category/breakfasts/pancakes/

#23 of 23 Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

I went to a b-day potluck this weekend. One of the moms knew my daughter can't have gluten, dairy, and cane sugar. She made a totally addictive chocolate cake with 1/2 cup coconut flour in the frosting and the same amount in the cake. Totally, amazingly evil.

treemom2 and Aubergine68 like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page