Help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anybody just give me a list of things i can and can't eat/drink?

I know I can't eat/drink:

redface.gif

• Runny eggs
  • Caffeine
  • no meat unless well done

please help me

#2 of 4 Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Are you pregnant?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 4 Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 PM

presumably you are pregnant.... there are a lot of recommendations and you will get EXTREMELY varied opinions on here. WIC and most obs will warn you against unpasteurized dairy, including milk, cheese, yogurt- anything raw from an animal, but a lot of people swear by raw milk and it has been the natural thing to drink for however long humans have been drinking cow's milk. Certain kinds of fish are not advised, I think mostly the larger fish like tilefish and swordfish or something, because of the mercury that can be present. Other fish are a good idea, like salmon and albacore tuna (albacore are smaller and less likely to have any buildup I think- correct me if I'm wrong!). 

Some things you WILL want to eat-

-colorful veggies/fruit (kale, broccoli, sweet potato, blueberries, watermelon, etc)

-protein (beans +whole grains, quality meat/eggs, nuts, etc, depending on your diet)

calcium from milk or veggies (broccoli and kale have lots of calcium)

-omega 3s/dha from flax oil or fish/fish oil

good luck!

#4 of 4 Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I am one of those people who swear my raw milk, I think it is certainly the best option for anyone to drink.  Here is a video for more info, please watch!  http://hartkeisonline.com/heroes-of-sustainable-agriculture/interview-with-mark-mcafee-raw-dairy-farmer/   We drink raw goats milk here actually, but if there was a raw cow milk source we would drink that too!  BTW, my midwife was thrilled that I drink raw milk and she agrees that it is best, so there is a professional opinion for you who has actually done her research!

Albacore tuna actually has higher mercury than light tuna or tongol tuna:)  Make sure all fish that you eat is labeled "wild caught" and NOT labeled "farm raised" because farm raised has higher mercury and other contaminants.  Fish like Mahi Mahi, salmon, cod, shrimp, etc are not high mercury so they are ok to eat.

You can eat all kinds of meats, as long as its cooked to its recommended temp, which is not necessarily well done.  Remember too that grass fed animal meat does not have the ecoli risks that corn fed animals meat has because the corn in the animals diet is unnatural and causes their guts to grow this bad bacteria a million times more than a natural grass diet does....  I would never eat anything but grass fed/pasture fed animal meat.

And I would avoid traditional prenatals like One-A-Day, they have very harmful ingredients and are not whole foods based so your body is hardly benefitting at all from the "vitamins" it contains anyway, and they can make morning sickness much worse.  Here is what I am taking and I think this one is best, I have done A LOT of research!  http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Raw-Prenatal-capsules/dp/B002JOVOVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313129487&sr=8-1

And as far as an omega supplement, here is my favorite http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Elite-Omega-3-Gems-Fish-Oil-BOGO   I love this site for organic foods as well!

Being pregnant I would eat all organic foods as well.  This way you are not exposing your baby to pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, synthetic fertilizers, GMO's, synthetic hormones, antibiotics, ETC!  Check out the posts in this thread, they are very helpful.  http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1321919/reasons-to-go-organic-and-tips-to-make-it-affordable 

I would certainly avoid other sources of synthetic hormones- read my first post in this thread http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1321599/help-deciding-on-meds#post_16557651 

And of course no vaccines, even if your Dr says they are "safe"

You can look up the cosmetic products that you use, and when it comes time to buy stuff for baby here to see what is in them, and how safe it is  http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ 

to s 

Always read ingredient labels, and if you see anything like Red# 40, or just the # sign period, dont eat/drink it!  And I would not drink any pop, gatorade, anything like that.  If a label says "corn syrup" or "high fructose corn syrup" do NOT eat/drink it.  Yuck!!  Obviously you dont know what is in, say, sweet tea from Mcdonalds so I would avoid anything like that as well.  Actually we only drink water and raw milk at my house, and sometimes juice and smoothies we make ourselves from all organic products.

Remember lots of protein is essential in pregnancy!  And lots of vegetables too:)

Feel free to PM me if you would like anymore help or info or of course respond on this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

presumably you are pregnant.... there are a lot of recommendations and you will get EXTREMELY varied opinions on here. WIC and most obs will warn you against unpasteurized dairy, including milk, cheese, yogurt- anything raw from an animal, but a lot of people swear by raw milk and it has been the natural thing to drink for however long humans have been drinking cow's milk. Certain kinds of fish are not advised, I think mostly the larger fish like tilefish and swordfish or something, because of the mercury that can be present. Other fish are a good idea, like salmon and albacore tuna (albacore are smaller and less likely to have any buildup I think- correct me if I'm wrong!). 

Some things you WILL want to eat-

-colorful veggies/fruit (kale, broccoli, sweet potato, blueberries, watermelon, etc)

-protein (beans +whole grains, quality meat/eggs, nuts, etc, depending on your diet)

calcium from milk or veggies (broccoli and kale have lots of calcium)

-omega 3s/dha from flax oil or fish/fish oil

good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page