Need to start GAPS diet but unable to eat some of the foods listed - will it still work? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone know quite a bit about this diet?  I've heard of it before, but just started looking into it because I need to do it to heal my gut.

I've been having candida yeast overgrowth issues probably most of my life but it has come out in skin issues mostly the last year.  In addition to and because of that, I now have MRSA also :(

I've been taking Diflucan for over a month now and notice no change, although now it just may be the MRSA and resolve with antibiotic.  The CNM who is helping me with this feels that if I can get my leaky gut resolved it will resolve the yeast.  However I cannot eat:

-nuts/peanut

-sesame seed and probably other seed

-soy

-I think I react to avocado

-dairy (EBF DD reacts to it)

-lemon, I think DD might react to it

-fish makes me gag but I can do fish oil (not pleasant but I will do it although I haven't had any for a long time due to Nordic Naturals containing soy)

-no sugar due to yeast, only thing I have been eating recently is strawberry because CNM OK'd it (she just said berries I haven't tried anything else yet)

http://www.gapsdiet.com/The_Diet.html

Do you HAVE to do the raw egg thing?  I trialed egg with DD and she may have reacted to it so I have yet to try it again. 

Do I need to buy a juicer?

How do you know when your gut is healed?

Do you have to be on it for 2 years?  If so, I'm concerned since I will be nursing the whole time.  Will we be getting enough nutrition while nursing?  Not that we are getting much right now.  How about taste?  I didn't want my diet limited for too long because I'm concerned she will not get enough taste for foods through my bmilk.

The other kicker is I STILL haven't been able to figure out what DD is reacting to despite extreme elimination diet since May 8, so as I'm looking at the GAPS site, a lot of the foods mentioned I have not tried or added back into my diet yet.  It's a lot slower-going than I anticipated, which I believe is what downed my immune system and got the MRSA :(

I am getting the GAPS book and recipe book through interlibrary loan, but don't know how long it will take to arrive.  Could be weeks.

Thanks!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#2 of 3 Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.healthhomehappy.com/grain-free-2/30-days-on-gaps-intro-e-book

The site above has a good blog where she talks about nursing on GAPS. The general advice is to start with the full GAPS diet if you are nursing. But with such severe allergies, I would do a shortened Intro diet, honestly, from what I have read. Then add them in slowly. In the advice, it talks about testing it on yourself to see if you're allergic by touching it on your wrist before bed. I would do this for the LO, maybe, too. If GAPS works, then ideally it should heal allergies in you & baby if done correctly. smile.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 3 Old 08-30-2011, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, I will check the site and see what it says.  Unfortunately I was unable to get the GAPS book through the library.  May just have to buy it.  Because I cheated a bit over a week ago (we were far from home for longer than anticipated and I didn't bring enough to eat) and that next week she got eczema again.  One of the things I ate were corn chips :(  So if she is getting eczema from corn, that is REALLY hard because corn is in 95% of processed foods.  Makes me want to do the diet even more, I don't want her having to deal with corn issue the rest of her life! 

I did just end a 2 week antibiotic that had corn starch and she didn't get eczema during that time, but maybe it was the higher amount of corn through the corn chips.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page