Mothering Forum banner

Healthy Food on the Go: Lunchskins- CLOSED. Winners Announced in Post.

6K views 98 replies 80 participants last post by  Chris Elias28 
#1 ·
final mother banner.pngAs the carefree days of summer end and shopping for back-to-school begins, our thoughts turn to early morning bus routes, endless after school activities, and the dozens of lunches we will be making every week. How does a busy mother keep it fun, fresh and healthy? Our family has benefited this summer from a raised vegetable garden that my son built as a science project back in May. For the past two months, we've enjoyed fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and herbs in abundance. But the fresh produce along with access to local farmer's markets will slowly fade as the school year begins. It seems so simple to eat healthy in the summer, but it takes a shift in thinking to continue to do so year-round. So, we will be turning to more squash, pumpkin, beets, apples, pears and sweet potatoes as the air gets cooler. We will also turn to more nuts and whole grains. Back to school season also means re-thinking food on the go. Gone are the individual, snack-sized packages of chips and cookies. They have been replaced by more fruits, vegetables, nuts and whole grain cereals and breads. We think about food that can be ready to go at a moment's notice - and this gives us more healthy options to bring along. All this healthy food requires that we embrace a 'BYOB' (Bring Your Own Baggie) mentality. And that is a good thing for both the environment as well as our bodies. Reusable baggies, like LunchSkins, make it easy to take food on the go. Not too long ago we used a dozen plastic baggies a day. Nowadays, plastic has been replaced by colorful, dishwasher safe LunchSkins that the kids love to bring for school lunches and snacks. We also toss a few extras in the car stuffed with nuts and trail mix to keep everyone happy during the marathon of after school activities that often last well beyond dinner time. We have a few favorite snacks that our youngest kids love as well as the growing teens. Try a few of these ideas in your LunchSkins reusable sandwich and snack baggies:

• Peanut butter and banana sandwiches
  • Bagel stuffed with mozzarella. tomato and basil
  • Fresh fruit like cherries, grapes and strawberries
  • Fresh veggies like carrots, peppers and snap peas
  • Almonds and dried cherries, or raisins and granola
  • Small snacks like cereal and bite sized cookies

Just in time for back-school shopping, you can purchase LunchSkins, the reusable, dishwasher-safe baggies with FREE SHIPPING. Just enter code BTS2011 and you're all set to make those healthy lunches on the go. Have you already made the switch to reusable sandwich bags? We'd love to know how much waste/money you feel reusable products have saved your family monthly.

OFFER #1: If you're still using plastic baggies and would like to try LunchSkins, we have 5 freebies to share with the Mothering community. Please let us know you would like to try these, and we will send samples out to the first five MDC members who respond (to addresses in the US, Canada or US Military PO Boxes).

OFFER # 2: We have our first 5 moms who responded to our first freebie offer above. We are so excited that moms have expressed interest in these reusable lunchskins that we have decided to offer freebies to an additional 5 moms! This time it will be a random drawing of moms who post their interest. Our terms are below:

• Moms post an estimate of how much they spent on plastic lunch bags in the last 12 months (between now and midnight Thursday 8/18, PST)
  • 5 posters at random will receive 1 free set of Lunchskins (US, Canada, Military PO Boxes only)
  • recipients are encouraged but not required to share their experiences within the thread

Hope to hear from you!

Chris MDC Staff

Winners from Offer # 1:

1. crunch_mommy
  2. NW2SE
  3. Stormborn
  4. 34me
  5. RachelEve14

Winners from Offer #2:

1. Altair
  2. Ferencfamily
  3. Jamee Thumm
  4. Kerrplunk
  5. Marissab

All winners have received a PM from me.

Congratulations!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would very much love a sample, thank you! They've been a little out of our family budget lately, but I'm hoping to purchase some additional items in the future.

#13 ·
I'd love to try these as well -- also am posting about them on my blog. What a great idea.

Cathe Olson

1072 Pluto Street

Nipomo, CA 93444

#14 ·
Hi MDC Moms!

Thank you very much for your interest. I'll send a PM to the first five moms who posted interest. To the rest of you, this is an awesome way to reduce waste and brighten up your child's lunch for back-to-school time. Lunchskins is offering free shipping for your convenience. Remember to use code BTS2011 at the checkout. PM me if you have any questions.

-Chris

MDC Staff

#16 ·
I'm definitely interested. I'm not really sure how much I've spent in disposable bags, however. I don't tend to use a lot of disposable baggies, other than my husband buys a lot of them for his own food storage. For the kids lunch I end up using wax paper and plastic sandwich cases, but they are often insufficient, so I was looking for something a little more flexible and accommodating. In a year I'd say $50 for ziplocs and containers, although it could easily be more.

#21 ·
well, my daughter is just starting kindergarten this year, so last years estimated cost of sandwich baggies is probably a lot lower than what this coming years is going to be, unless I win these cool reusable ones
winky.gif
. my address is 2998 Kennewick Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89121. If I had to buy a box approximately every month that she is in school, I suppose I could hit almost 40$ in sandwich baggy costs this year. :(

#24 ·
OH how exciting!! I would LOVE to try these!! I have two in school this year - so obviously my cost will double this year!! But I have no idea what I spent on baggies, etc for lunches packed!!! I don't even want to think about it!!! LOL

Thanks for the opportunity!!

#25 ·
I have not spent much on plastic bags in the past 12 months - probably around $10. We wash, air dry, and reuse all of our plastic baggies, but eventually they have to be thrown out. We'd love an environmentally friendly, non-toxic alternative to plastic snack bags like the Lunchskins on offer #2 to use when we pack my son's lunch everyday!!

#26 ·
We spend about $30 a year on plastic baggies for lunch and take with snacks. With 3 kids in sports and games a hour away, we have to bring our food with us. Who wants to eat yucky consesion stand, or eat out 1-2 times a day every day during the sport season? Not to mention who can afford it? With 4 kids, we sure can't. These bags would be great to use and if they work well, I will buy more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.